• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5'10 and i wear whatever the standard hober length is. 59 inches?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cool beans, good to know.

iirc, i think the standard length on most of my OTR ties are closer to 60-62 inches. but 58 is fine. just leaves less back blade behind the front blade, but it still reaches the blade holder and the knot seems to be the same.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Believe Hober standard length and width is 57 inches by 3.75 inches.
You are right!! Mine is 57" though.

Also, I don't know how a 57" tie barely reaches the keeper. I can easily tie double FIH's with my 57" ties no problem. We all must like different placement spots for our ties!

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are right!!  Mine is 57" though.

Also, I don't know how a 57" tie barely reaches the keeper.  I can easily tie double FIH's with my 57" ties no problem.  We all must like different placement spots for our ties!

I'd imagine it would depend on what knot you tie, the length of your torso and where you wear your trousers. 56" for me is perfect for a standard FIH knot (narrow blade is about 2 inches shorter than the wide blade).

ddgdl

Reaction score
i always get mine thinner though. 3.5 for me.
smile.gif

Same.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:fistbump:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll throw my measurements into the mix: I'm 5'10", 16" neck, and prefer 59" ties. I tie a four-in-hand and prefer higher rise trousers. Back blade usually ends up being about 2 inches shorter than the front. I have typically preferred 3.5 inch ties, but thought I'd experiment a little and specified one at 3.75 on my recent order from Hober. :)

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd imagine it would depend on what knot you tie, the length of your torso and where you wear your trousers. 56" for me is perfect for a standard FIH knot (narrow blade is about 2 inches shorter than the wide blade).

Add to that neck size, and waist size which makes the tie hang differently

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads