• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my new order arrived last night and I picked it up from the package room this morning. As usual, I am absolutely delighted with everything.

From left to right: magenta grenadine grossa, navy grenadine grossa, and burgundy with green pindots. All 56" by 3.75". Can't wait to wear them out in the wild.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You do know that the swatches won't magically turn into ties right before your eyes, right? :stirpot: You've got to e-mail David to order them.

That part was done simultaneously.

my prediction - you buy a lot of ties.

Shh! You have insider knowledge!

It is impossible to resist once you have the swatches.

To be serious for a moment, I actually find that it gets easier. While I have the impulse to buy, having a swatch or something provides me with an outlet to make contact with and spur me back into further deliberation. I also usually only go after swatches once I have a pretty good idea of what it is I want already and then the swatches are there for me to determine amongst a few options for that one thing. I'm a damn picky bastard, and before spending anything I usually go through several phases of "if I saved and waited, would I find something I like better?" This is part of why I often have problems shopping for RTW. I'm not averse to a good value proposition and may be willing to acquiesce to impulse if the price is right, but the answer to my question of "would I find something I will like better?" in that case is usually "yes." This sort of thing has cost me and I've passed up good deals that in retrospect I shouldn't have, but overall I'm willing to live with that to avoid having to later look in my closet and go "Dammit, that was a stupid decision." Well, at least to minimize its occurrence.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my new order arrived last night and I picked it up from the package room this morning. As usual, I am absolutely delighted with everything.

From left to right: magenta grenadine grossa, navy grenadine grossa, and burgundy with green pindots. All 56" by 3.75". Can't wait to wear them out in the wild.
cheers.gif
Got mine yesterday too.

Luvwine

Reaction score
Question on measurements of ties. I got my first order the other day. I got three ties--one English silk and two grenadines. The funny thing is that when I tried them on they seemed slightly short and I measured them and they were all exactly one inch shorter than my specifications. I contacted David who tells me that it is normal for ties to "contract" while in a box and that they will be the correct length after I have worn them a few times. While I don't want to assail David's credibility, and I suspect that he will work with me to make things right if it comes to that, I was wondering whether anyone else found the ties to be a different length than specified upon arrival or whether they measure what you ordered when they arrived? Thanks for any information.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question on measurements of ties.  I got my first order the other day.  I got three ties--one English silk and two grenadines.  The funny thing is that when I tried them on they seemed slightly short and I measured them and they were all exactly one inch shorter than my specifications.  I contacted David who tells me that it is normal for ties to "contract" while in a box and that they will be the correct length after I have worn them a few times.  While I don't want to assail David's credibility, and I suspect that he will work with me to make things right if it comes to that, I was wondering whether anyone else found the ties to be a different length than specified upon arrival or whether they measure what you ordered when they arrived?  Thanks for any information.

In my experience, the grenadines definitely stretch a bit over time. I imagine the English silk ones may as well, though I'd guess a bit less so and it's less noticeable due to the weave. There could also be some slight differences in how each of you measures (David may take into account how they stretch). I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they don't stretch enough, then perhaps try ordering something slightly longer in your next order (I'd only go up by half an inch though unless you'd rather err on them being too long).

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You need more ties (as do I), and, more importantly, a better camera! :happy:

Can't make out the colours!

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You need more ties (as do I), and, more importantly, a better camera! :happy:

Can't make out the colours!

My Hober collection is now at 28 or 29, but yes, I do need more. That's why I bought the darned swatch sets.

Maybe a bit more light in the next picture; cell phone camera can only do so much. Colors are actually not that distorted in this shot IMO. Definitely not perfect but you get the idea.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

archibaldleach - great selection.

Thank you. I'm delighted with them. Especially looking forward to wearing the burgundy with green pindots tie out somewhere.

have ya'll seen the video he made of the tie making? its amazing.

Yeah, that video is awesome.

28-29. Damn. How accurate are the colours online, n comparison with the actual tie? fairly accurate?

I think it may vary a bit from monitor to monitor, but I've generally found them pretty accurate. Not 100% perfect, but you're not going to be misled by the colors online IMO. Ordering swatches is probably best if you care about subtle variations, which I am starting to do now that I have a good sized basic collection, hence the swatch books.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is my "R U SRS?" face.

ill take that as a yes.

im very proud that i was part of getting the hober monogram option off the ground. davis is a great guy and a real pleasure to work with.

/humblebrag

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ill take that as a yes.

im very proud that i was part of getting the hober monogram option off the ground. davis is a great guy and a real pleasure to work with.

/humblebrag

As well you should be, and it was a beautiful tie to start it with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads