• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question on sites, youth fashion, and hipsterism.

iiiivvvv

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here.

I have two questions at the bottom so you can skip the meat here.

I'll first start by saying that I haven't been too interested in fashion, being an asian male in college too engrossed in the seek of personal knowledge. Not to say that I didn't present myself accordingly with clean clothes or good fits. Another reason for the disinterest was my lack of money.

However, I will be out of college in half a year, I'll be turning 23, this is an area I am more and more becoming attracted towards. Right now my wardrobe is crap. I donated 3/4 of my clothes to the salvarmy. I am an intj, fairly independent in beliefs and although open-minded in other things, I hold my own personal ideals to the t. The reason I say this is because I want to portray a stylish ''independent'' and successful look without having to spend a lot of money. I don't want to portray a look of extreme wealth but instead decent quality, if that makes sense. A sense of "this guy is going somewhere in life... he must be important..eh..cool." I also don't want to be flashy with gimmicky trends. As for profession wise, I am an independent equity investor and looking into capital markets, etc. (god bless america, right about now) Yet I want to emphasize my age and personal independence again.

This brings up another point: hipsterism. With fashions the like of h&m, etc. All my clothes are from h&m because they are cheap. However, I don't dress in the hipster manner, whatever that is. I look to get basics a lot of the time. I don't have any aversion towards the hipster look but I am definitely averse for me to look like one and it seems that every 'cool' person in my college, be it asians or white, has the same bangs, skinny jeans, plaid shirts, kind of stuff. I don't want to fit in with the cool, because as I've said, it's important for me to have a personal differentiation because of my personality and profession. In other words, if I want to wear a plaid, I dearly hope I don't get pegged as a hipster.

The quintessential difference between a hipster and me I would say is despite my intelligence and education and moderate income level, I can testify to the fact that I don't know "everything.'' And also that I am not 'cool enough' to 'not care' about anything. It took me a long time to realize after four years of college to understand what they refer to hipsterism as a embodiment of postmodernism as a spent force.

That leaves me with two questions.

1. http://www.sneakoutfitters.com/

I don't know if buying clothes cheap like these are a cardinal sin for purist fashionistas out here but my fit are exactly like these dudes except I'm not as tall or handsome.

http://www.sneakoutfitters.com/Form...-Skinny-Suits-with-Trouser-FREE-TIE-p405.html
http://www.sneakoutfitters.com/Men-s-Bottom/Suit-Pants/Luxury-Suit-Pants-Trousers-p687.html

I want to wear something like this from time to time when I'm travelling or going out for a date or driving to meet other investors etc. Can you offer similar online websites, stores, or brands like this? Pricewise, something definitely in a cheaper range because I plan to use this as a fashion starter kit and renew them a year from now. And remember, good fit... not like gap and banana r where its designed for big american people haha.

2. Give me your thoughts on hipster as a counterculture, the success and failure of this cultural mythology. As a fashion movement. Personally, I've made personal fashion choices of hipster aesthetic without even knowing it. The permeance of this aesthetic is grossly penetrating. It's everywhere and nowhere. I am kind of appalled at seeing that people actually partake in this movement via fetishized aesthetics to upclimb the social ladder in this group. (I've seen in in film industries, salons, schools, workplace, etc) Many also believe in their personal choices as being creative when it's simply regurgitation of predetermined choices that capitalists give out to them. (exaggeration, maybe, but still...I'm a market player so I know this) I've seen this look carry out to men/women into their mid to late 20's. I think that this age bracket is where it is most prevailing. I feel like its a way for 21st century adult youths to carve out an identify when there is no objective-based movements anymore. There we go, I've read that there is no objective in the hipster movement... "spent force of postmodernism." Okay okay, i'm done. Let me know what you think.. Don't even think about trying to answer this before you help me out with question 1.

Oh, and I appreciate your feedback!

iiiivvvv

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit you have chosen as an example would be considered totally hipster by most of the members of this forum. It is WAY to short to be considered a 'classic' of menswear.

If this is the clothing style you are interested in you need to be posting in the streetwear and denim side of style forum.

Perhaps you should spend some time reading the posts on this forum - particularly the 'HOF What are you wearing right now' thread at the top of this forum page - to see if what is being posted is the style of clothing you are interested in. If so - then read LOTS of threads and come back with your questions afterwards.

We would be more than happy to share with you once we know you are interested in what we have to offer! :)

Last edited:

kasakka

Reaction score
Pretty much everything on that site looks like it's way too tight fitting even for the models. I bet they wouldn't be able to sit comfortably in that stuff. Not to mention what you posted looks very much like a costume, something you would probably find in a Korean or Japanese drama series. Sure, it looks cool but it would still look like a costume in the real world.

You can find a lot on this site that with the right fit will make you look sharp and well dressed without falling into the costume department.

At 23, you'll probably look out of place if you stroll around town in a suit outside of work. Dress casually, have fun, try a few styles to find what really fits you and don't give a damn whether it falls into some subculture or not.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a post...

People can't decide upon a style for you. It is up to you. I recommend trying different things and seeing what looks good on you. Look at the what are you wearing now threads in this subforum and streetwear and denim subforum. It'll give you some ideas. You'll notice that no one wears clothing like the 'suit' you posted. That man looks like he's wearing womens clothing made out of polyester. Holy crap that's terrible.

Last edited:

iiiivvvv

Reaction score
haha ok okay... i feel a bit of patronizing here but it's okay... i understand... i appreciate the first two replies. the last two not so much...

Let me follow up by asking then what would be the key distinction between

http://lookbook.nu/look/749963

and that of mine i posted up here... http://www.sneakoutfitters.com/Formal-Suits-c23/

Looks like the fit is similar in both pages except the sneak website has a bunch of asian guys with a bit more effete poses. And the clothes a bit more costumed up.

KK, thank you.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both links have ridiculously tight clothes pictured. There is no real difference- loosen up, but not too much. Slim is good. Tight isn't.

And I agree with previous posters- unless you're working somewhere where you need suits, don't wear suits. Khakis and a blazer? Maybe. But really, dress for the weather and wear clothes that fit well (that does not mean tight) in attractive color combinations, and you'll stand out on that virtue alone. Apart from environments that require more, I would stick to the business casual or smart casual level in terms of formality. Jeans/khakis, dress shirts, polos, sweaters (not with the polos), maybe the occasional tie. Leather shoes- the only sneakers you should be wearing are the occasional canvas shoes. Penny loafers, suede bucks, saddle shoes (for a trendy touch that isn't that trendy), boat shoes, camp mocs. Throw some proper dress shoes into the mix if you feel like it. Wingtips are a popular choice.

Really, the biggest difference you can make in fit to not look like a hipster is with the pants. Wear straight fits that don't hug your leg like spandex and you're on your way. Don't be afraid of a little room- go for the dockers D2 instead of the ankle hugging variety. Slim shirts and sweaters are perfectly fine, and even recommended, though looser is fine for chunky knits. Don't be afraid of color, but keep it classy. Bright greens and pinks are sometimes clothes, to paraphrase the recent neutering of cookie monster*.

Basically, classic clothing with a great fit and an age appropriate level of formality.

*With heath pressures, he was made to say stuff like "Cookies are a sometimes food", and has endorsed fruits and eggplant.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like musicguys says, take this to the streetwear and denim forum. Men's clothing is very conservative.
And I wouldn't buy anything from http://www.sneakoutfitters.com/. Those clothes are the exact same ones you can get from any one of those other Korean fashion sites and exactly like all those other ones, they are way overpriced and the quality is absolute garbage.

Plus, those clothes up there are way too try hardish. Believe me, I was in the exact same position as you are now not too long ago, and I've been down that road before (actually so similar that its scary. Poor Asian student with no interest in clothing coming out of college, got a job, realised wardrobe is rubbish and decide on complete overhaul, looked towards them Korean crap for inspiration).

Now, I don't mind having a little touch of fashion in the clothes I wear as it ads a little bit or something, but when taken too far you become a fashion victim. My clothes are still pretty slim - probably a lot slimmer than most of the people here are comfortable with, except acecow - but I won't get anything skinny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads