• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a new weekly column: this week "umbrellas"

jderickson

Reaction score
from a new site, theMaterialist

http://www.thematerialist.net

badumbrella-764111.jpg

Hungry, horny, and rainy: when these adjectives are upon you, your mind can't focus on much else. Food and restaurants that were never before appealing are suddenly desirable. People who were never so attractive are suddenly sexy. And a rainy day? Makes me wish I had purchased those waterproof boots, the long canvas raincoat, even the funny-looking collapsible hat. Preparation makes certain situations a pleasure; lack of it makes you wonder what you were thinking. Yet on a sunny day, who can blame you for not thinking about umbrellas? (Of course, I can.)

Unlike those articles that appear from time to time in a high-end magazine like Cigar Aficionado or Robb Report, I will not give you a history of the umbrella. Frankly, I don't care which noble British firm (or who knows? French firm?) first made them. Or what Winston Churchill nicknamed his. Or where Fred Astaire had his delivered by the dozen.

Those not really concerned with sturdy, quality things, made the Way They Have Been Made, can sign off now--from here on it's all crazy talk to you. It's the kind of talk that makes guys nonchalantly showy when referring to the flat six in their car, or spending more for a television with progressive scanning. But when referring to men's clothing or accessories, this talk surely announces the speaker as a fop or a ***. Well my shaft is hickory! That's right, solid hickory. And I chose it over cherry, walnut, and malacca. I can't tell anyone about it in any serious way, ("oh, this old thing?") but I love it, I do.

The few of you not turned off by this talk yet, gather close, and I will say what I set out to say: treat yourself to a good umbrella. Hang a little tag or print a little label for the inside so when you leave it in a coat room the honest management can return it. (Consider it insurance.) Then enjoy this umbrella. You will pray for rainy days so you can use it. With a broken collapsible umbrella, the canopy loose of the twisted frame, you are a scurrier, panicked by the rain! With a functional, sturdy umbrella you can walk down the street a bit more slowly, with a longer gait, even a smile. It's all in the spirit of theMaterialist: a detail sought not for its flashiness but for the small pleasure you might find in it. Enjoy the rainy days.

The cost of a sturdy umbrella made in England or Italy is considerable. And perhaps ridiculous. (But it hasn't stopped me: I have three.) They start at about $150 for the Brigg doorman umbrellas with metal shafts, then to $200 or so for the Maglia Francesca, who make many of the private label umbrellas for Paul Stuart, Barneys, Bergdorf Goodman, and a few others, and then easily $400 for the best and solid wooden ones by Brigg and a few other English makers. The costs come from the price of labor in a developed Western country, the materials, the beautiful fabrics available, and the less mechanized production. Your promotional-gift golf umbrella may be sturdy, I'll give you that. But beautiful? Worth keeping for a long time? Hmmm. The Brigg will still be mine in 15 years, and it will have that patina of ownership: dings in the wooden handle, worn down spots, and maybe a patch or two. I hardly even want the new umbrella, I want to have had it for decades. (See above, "oh, this old thing?")

And the best part of having one? Crazies like me will do a double take on the street: we will spot the distinctive shape of your canopy from a city block away, then carefully watch as you approach. We will interrupt you and your Blackberry and ask you for your photograph for a column we are writing, yes, we will!

goodumbrella-715552.jpg

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$400 does not sound so bad for something to be used for 15 years. however, i have lost 5 umbrellas in the past schoolyear alone, i think i will need to be handcuffed to one this expensive if i ever decide to purchase one!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
$400 does not sound so bad for something to be used for 15 years. however, i have lost 5 umbrellas in the past schoolyear alone, i think i will need to be handcuffed to one this expensive if i ever decide to purchase one!

The price tag is a good incentive to keep up with it, I've found. Buy one good one and use it for 20 years, and you'll have quite the savings over buying 100 cheap ones in the same time.

I really do think that a top-quality umbrella is one of the most luxurious things a man can buy.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
It brings pleasure on gloomy days. Is it just me, or have the prices at classicluggage.com gone up recently?
Yes, they did. I should have bought a Brigg a year ago when it was about $229 for some solid shaft models.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I bought my PoW for $375 last November. Now they are $535, that's crazy!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Yes, they did. I should have bought a Brigg a year ago when it was about $229 for some solid shaft models.

I believe Scotland House in Williamsburg, Va., still has a couple of stick-through Briggs for $250. They might be willing to ship, if you care enough to try.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I want an umbrella with a blade…

ITG alert !!!

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are there any websites i can browse through for high quality umbrellas? not really sure where to start.

thanks!

also, how about an umbrella with a gun (penguin)?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey John, I discovered your new site a few days ago, glad to see a new article already up! You are making me wish I didn't sell my Brigg a couple years ago.

To everyone else, keep an eye on John's site. He speaks from experience, and is a heck of a nice guy to boot. He is also very passionate and opinionated about clothing, which makes for interesting reading
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads