• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new DIY thread

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow all that DIY stuff turned out pretty cool, especially the stuff before the Stan Smiths. Looks professional. The stuff after the Stan Smiths look a little home made.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I think I am going to put my rustlers in a 3-5 gallon bucket with a box of brillo pads in the hopes that the rust will stain dye the jeans.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
no, why?

are you joking, rust has to enter your blood stream to cause tetanus right?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to dye my jeans with the blood of my slain enemies. I imagine the effects of rust would be similar.

Speaking of Rustlers, I have something I have to post up soon. You may find it interesting.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
LK, I would considered blood stained jeans a badge of honor... but what with all that new CSI **** I figure its less conspicuous to paint my house with that blood than wear it around town.

notation

Reaction score
Really cool stuff, LooseChange. I have a pair of Levi's sitting around because I hate the distressing, but I'm going to have to try dyeing them black. I'm worried about Rit not holding very well though. Any other good dye brands that I can use?

hi-val

Reaction score
Use Dylon, RIT is the wrong thing to use for DIY dyeing due to needing to boil it while you're dyeing.

And tetanus is spread by bacteria that have good growing conditions on rust. Rusty nails might be contaminated if you stepped on them in a yard, hence the cautions there. Straight-up rust is harmless.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Hey, I'm about to dye a brand new shirt. It's pretty nice with interesting details but I can't stand the colors. I was going to get Procion dye but the only stuff available in my area was Dylon and Rit (and I was too impatient to order online). I went with Dylon and some rit color remover.

The real question for you guys is, what should I expect with the Rit Color Remover? The shirt is a dark brown with some green detailing. Is it even worth or a bad idea? Should I just throw the black on top and hope for the best?

Seanallen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
Hey, I'm about to dye a brand new shirt. It's pretty nice with interesting details but I can't stand the colors. I was going to get Procion dye but the only stuff available in my area was Dylon and Rit (and I was too impatient to order online). I went with Dylon and some rit color remover.

The real question for you guys is, what should I expect with the Rit Color Remover? The shirt is a dark brown with some green detailing. Is it even worth or a bad idea? Should I just throw the black on top and hope for the best?

I had grey jeans that I did not use color remover on and when Dyed it came out really mismatch, so I would say use the color remover.

everybodynobody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooseChange
So I did a few DIY projects and though I'd share them. 1. Denim Dyeing I had a pair of pre-washed jeans from Bench that fit great, but had an ugly factory distressed look. So I decided to pick up some RIT dye and just dye it black.
IMG_1214.jpg

That looks really good. How did you avoid dyeing the gold stitching?

DeadDJ

Reaction score
The stitching itself is often a synthetic or synthetic blend while the denim is 100% cotton. The dye goes into the cotton but is resisted by the stitch thread.

jim_n

Reaction score
bumping this thread, does anyone know where I can source some quality leather, and all the hardware (button snaps, chain attatchments, thread etc) Its damn cold outside and I need a winter hobby to pass some time. thanks guys
smile.gif

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RIT black dye? what does RIT stand for?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads