1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A new DIY thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hossoso, Jan 12, 2008.

1. LooseChange

LooseChange Senior member

So here's another project I just finished today. Painted/Coated Denim So I had another pair of jeans that fit really well in my opinion, but had a horrible wash. So I decided to mess around and try to get it in a different color, but with a different method other than dyeing. I first soaked the jeans in a mixture of RIT Color Remover and bleach to prep the material, then started working in the denim. I just picked up a few bottles of fabric paint, and started painting it onto the denim. Check out the thumbnails for progress pics and the original color of the fabric. I continued this until the whole front and back sides were done, then I ran out of paint. Once it was dry, I experimented and ran a quick application of leather conditioner than I had lying around, then I hung it up to dry. So here's the final pics; for comparison, the light bluish denim on the left of my project are APCs. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Oh, and the creases are just from one wear. I had to put them on and add a layer of paint to the top portion of the jeans while it was stretched out. And I'm still trying to find out the best way of sealing paint/media on fabric or canvas. So far, the only thing that's been somewhat effective has been the clear lacquer that I mentioned, but it has a tendency to crack after a lot of use, so I'm not set on that yet.

2. Lel

Lel Senior member

Speaking of jean dying, I realize that a lot of people dye their jeans black but how about dying their jeans a dark blue-ish color? I have a pair that has been faded pretty well and I rather liked the raw dark blue look, how plausible is that?

3. Seanallen

Seanallen Senior member

Loosechange, those rit-dye black jeans look great. I think tomorrow I will pick up some dye for a old pair of Lucky brand's I have laying around, just to test it out.

4. Godspeed

Godspeed Well-Known Member

Speaking of jean dying, I realize that a lot of people dye their jeans black but how about dying their jeans a dark blue-ish color? I have a pair that has been faded pretty well and I rather liked the raw dark blue look, how plausible is that?

someone made a thread here about doing exactly that. i seem to remember he just used equal parts black dye and indigo dye, and it turned out rather awesome.

5. LooseChange

Yeah, that could work. I'd suggest using the color remover before dying for better results.

6. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

someone made a thread here about doing exactly that. i seem to remember he just used equal parts black dye and indigo dye, and it turned out rather awesome.

Yep, and another guy found an online source for actual indigo dye. Let me see if I can find it....

EDIT - Started by hi-val, he used Dylan dies:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=64837

7. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

Hey, was just about to link to my thread. Thanks for doing that, Ludeykrus : ) Several months of wear later, with several washes, the dye has faded out a bit, about halfway. They still look good, they've just got fading again. You can bleach your jeans to get them to take the color really well but that really, really kills worn fabrics since the bleach is harsh. You'll end up with fraying and decomposing fabric. Could be tried with thick fabric though. It'd take the dye a lot better, too. Black dye is actually just really freakin' dark blue dye, you'll see this when you mix it up with water. If you're dying something black, I suggest lots of agitation, hot water and doubling, tripling or quadrupling the amount of dye suggested for use. I tapered a pair of jeans awhile back and took pictures of that, I'll upload it when I get a chance!

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

The overdyed black/blue pair in your above link: would you say they have faded out evenly due to the washes, or is there any contrast in higher-wear areas? I was meaning to ask you about that after some time.

9. Lel

Lel Senior member

Hey, was just about to link to my thread. Thanks for doing that, Ludeykrus : )

Several months of wear later, with several washes, the dye has faded out a bit, about halfway. They still look good, they've just got fading again.

You can bleach your jeans to get them to take the color really well but that really, really kills worn fabrics since the bleach is harsh. You'll end up with fraying and decomposing fabric. Could be tried with thick fabric though. It'd take the dye a lot better, too.

Black dye is actually just really freakin' dark blue dye, you'll see this when you mix it up with water. If you're dying something black, I suggest lots of agitation, hot water and doubling, tripling or quadrupling the amount of dye suggested for use.

I tapered a pair of jeans awhile back and took pictures of that, I'll upload it when I get a chance!

Wow nice awesome, I took am wondering how those would re-fade over time.

Though those are a bit blacker than I want, how dark would you say that blue dye is? Could I just go all blue, or use something like a 70/30 ratio to achieve that nice raw shade?

10. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

To get raw, you really need indigo dye. There are synthetic indigos, I think Dylon makes one. It isn't as rich as natural indigo though. The midnight blue dye that I used is pretty dark, and maybe doing all of just that would get a good raw color. If it isn't dark enough, you can always dye them with a pack of black afterwards.

They faded where the fades were before, so they look both darker and naturally worn. When I get my camera up again, I'll take pictures of them again.

If you don't want them to fade, you can use industrial dyes or just redye them later. It doesn't hurt the fabric and it costs all of $3, your time spent on it costs more than the actual product does!

11. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

wow all that DIY stuff turned out pretty cool, especially the stuff before the Stan Smiths. Looks professional. The stuff after the Stan Smiths look a little home made.

12. robbie

robbie Senior member

I think I am going to put my rustlers in a 3-5 gallon bucket with a box of brillo pads in the hopes that the rust will stain dye the jeans.

13. Calden

Calden Senior member

Have you had your tetanus shot?

14. robbie

robbie Senior member

no, why?

are you joking, rust has to enter your blood stream to cause tetanus right?

15. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

I prefer to dye my jeans with the blood of my slain enemies. I imagine the effects of rust would be similar.

Speaking of Rustlers, I have something I have to post up soon. You may find it interesting.

16. robbie

robbie Senior member

LK, I would considered blood stained jeans a badge of honor... but what with all that new CSI shit I figure its less conspicuous to paint my house with that blood than wear it around town.

17. notation

notation Member

Really cool stuff, LooseChange. I have a pair of Levi's sitting around because I hate the distressing, but I'm going to have to try dyeing them black. I'm worried about Rit not holding very well though. Any other good dye brands that I can use?

18. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

Use Dylon, RIT is the wrong thing to use for DIY dyeing due to needing to boil it while you're dyeing.

And tetanus is spread by bacteria that have good growing conditions on rust. Rusty nails might be contaminated if you stepped on them in a yard, hence the cautions there. Straight-up rust is harmless.

19. LooseChange

Nah, you don't need boiling water, you can just use hot water from the faucet. Just fill a bucket with hot water from the tub and start working immediately.

20. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

Hey, I'm about to dye a brand new shirt. It's pretty nice with interesting details but I can't stand the colors. I was going to get Procion dye but the only stuff available in my area was Dylon and Rit (and I was too impatient to order online). I went with Dylon and some rit color remover.

The real question for you guys is, what should I expect with the Rit Color Remover? The shirt is a dark brown with some green detailing. Is it even worth or a bad idea? Should I just throw the black on top and hope for the best?