• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Difficulty In Tying the Neckerchief/Bandana for Boating and Hiking

ae(C)Ya(TM):aoo

Reaction score
Hello. Thank you for your inclination to assist me by reading my query.

I have purchased a Terramar bandana in red from the online retailer Sierra Trading Post. It is of silk fabric and its dimensions measure 35 x 35 inches.

I have searched the internet through Google for instructions as to how it may be rolled and tied in a masculine fashion and been unsuccessful in this pursuit; the guides which I find are either for women or for professional chefs, and the single diagram that I have discovered pertaining to the bandana methodology of the United States Navy is indecipherable by my comprehension.

The matter is complicated by the extra large size of this bandana. The ends which protrude from the central triangle seem ultimately to extend too low and expand too fully, and themselves form a knot much too large. This results in an effeminate visual projection, which I wish to avoid. Perhaps the method of tying is simple and I have heretofore executed it with adequate precision, and it is only the corrections necessitated by the size of this item which I must learn?

I regard with substantial admiration the style of bandana knot employed by Mr. John Wayne of Hollywood fame; this is a solid, masculine aesthetic, such as I too must learn and utilize. Also of interest to me is the method of Mr. Cary Grant. The pose and style of the South American gaucho is also sufficiently masculine.

But I must avoid a similarity of appearance to the blonde man of the Scooby Doo gang. Also the ascot wrap is not in the nature of the presentation which I intend.

Here are photos to example to you my goal. However, if you suggest alternative methods as being superior in the circumstances of my particular application of this article, I acquiesce to the guidance deriving from your greater familiarity.

Thank you once again.
bigstar[1].gif

I regret that this first photograph must be clicked as a link before it can be viewed. Thank you for your patience with this inconvenience.
http://img.sierratradingpost.com/ere...ize&redirect=0

John-Wayne-p15.jpg

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I acquiesce to the guidance deriving from your greater familiarity."

Reminds me of the pirate line in Pirates of the Caribean, " I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request."

"NO"

ae(C)Ya(TM):aoo

Reaction score
I must insist that you suffer from confusion in your apprehension of my question.
To wear a neckerchief in the manner exampled by such revered personages as film star John Wayne is a legitimate American style regarded with great quantities of popular appreciation. This is evidenced by numerous photographs which depict Americans in this clothing. I believe that it is also worn in other countries with prodigious American cultural influence such as Japan and Mexico.
I have not been among the audience to view the movie about the Pirates. I have only ridden this attraction in two instances.

任何人讲汉语言 ?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy God damn, I hope this is a sock puppet. Could be the greatest ever.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got any ****** that need killing out there in the Wild East? if you run into any of them on the hiking trail, don't be shy about gunning them down. Shoot first, ask questions and retie your scarf later. You have to earn your scarf knots, pardner, just like the Duke did.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics