A Barbour Gem- The Waxed Blazer!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Shikar, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

I don't know. I think the people making the jokes about pocket squares have a point. Waxed jackets are durable country wear. Blazers are, well, blazers. A waxed blazer seems only slightly less absurd than a waxed DJ. I can see what they were going for but it seems to me that they ended up with something that looks completely out-of-place in every environment.

2. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I don't know. I think the people making the jokes about pocket squares have a point. Waxed jackets are durable country wear. Blazers are, well, blazers. A waxed blazer seems only slightly less absurd than a waxed DJ. I can see what they were going for but it seems to me that they ended up with something that looks completely out-of-place in every environment.

I see it a little differently. I would wear this blazer as a casual fall coat/raincoat, not as a blazer. I think it would look silly with a pocket square (and I know that was just a joke) or even a tie, but would look great over a plaid shirt and a pair of jeans/moleskins/cords. To me, it might be worn instead of a harrington-style jacket. If I was going out for a couple of beers with my buddies, I might throw this "blazer" on and look a little sharper than your regular customer. It would look no more out of place than a Barbour Beaufort does on any of us who aren't actually bird hunting.

3. Chips

Chips Senior member

I had to get one. But I did have to pay $12 for shipping.

4. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

If you provided the riddle, they will adjust your invoice.

I just want to put this out there for the noobs: never pay shipping for STP items. Search, "free shipping riddle for STP".

5. forex

forex Senior member

Shikar,please post a picture wearing the blazer if you can.
    thanks

6. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

Interesting! Doesn't anyone know the sleeve length on this? I need 26" sleeves, measured from the shoulder seam on most jackets, size medium.

7. robin

robin Senior member

Interesting! Doesn't anyone know the sleeve length on this? I need 26" sleeves, measured from the shoulder seam on most jackets, size medium.
    You're in luck - the sleeves on the medium I have measure about 26".

8. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

Great, thanks! Might give this a go, STPs overseas shipping prices are actually survivable.

Any chance I could bother you for a chest pit to pit and a side to side measurement at the middle button?

9. stant62

stant62 Senior member

Thanks for the PSA btw. I ended up purchasing the Flyer waxed cotton jacket to replace my Beaufort. Here's hoping this one is slimmer!

10. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

I can see what they were going for but it seems to me that they ended up with something that looks completely out-of-place in every environment.
    It reminds me of a shortened labcoat for some reason. But isn't there an Orvis sportscoat with a wool body and waxed cotton sleeves? That's even stranger.

11. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

It reminds me of a shortened labcoat for some reason. But isn't there an Orvis sportscoat with a wool body and waxed cotton sleeves? That's even stranger.

This one has a moleskin collar, I believe. I got one. Should be hawt!

12. Chips

Chips Senior member

I doubt my fit pic will help too many since this one is a 2XL. But here is my Barbour that showed up today. It is very comfortable to wear, seems warm, and will be ideal as a beater jacket. I'm not to big on the center vent. The collar going into the gorge has a bad crease in it.

I suppose when you get to a XXL, the term slim fit is kinda relative. I will take it today to my tailor and see if he can have it taken in a bit. It doesn't show too badly in the crappy picture I took, but it wears quite baggy. If I can have it taken in for less than $60 I probably will.

[​IMG]

13. Chips

Chips Senior member

In case anyone was wondering, they were out of XL's, so I had to go with the 2XL. I figured it would be best to play it safe since one of the earlier posters commented that it felt true to size for a 46 RLPL or something.

All in all, not a bad deal at this price. It's my first waxed cotton jacket so I'm glad to have it. I don't think I could pull off a Belstaff Trailmaster like I wanted....

14. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

Does anyone know how the sizing is compared to the Barbour Northumbria? Same size and sleeve length?

15. cchen

cchen Senior member

does anyone know how Barbour jackets generally fit? I normally wear an 36R jacket... would the size S be too large?