1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Barbour Gem- The Waxed Blazer!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Shikar, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

I decided to try this a couple of other Barbours for this season. The blazer got my attention as it was an unusual offering, so i just had to get one. My brief review. Pros Its slim fit, a relative term, but slim fit for sure by Barbour standards! It even calls itself slim fit on the label. There is some darting and even mild waist suppression! Its made in England. No waxy smell, but its waxed cotton for sure. Insulated for mild cool weather, should work with shirt till the weather hits 50 or so. Excellent wind protections, esp as it closes to neck, collar/lapels lined with moleskin. My XL fit very similar to RLPL 46L. Button down front flap pockets. One button and one zip interior pocket. Cons Center vent, but then its a frikkin waxed blazer! The vent has a button and is lined, so you can sit on a wet surface but butt will stay dry. Sleeve is a touch long. Comes with a small metal Barbour decal to put on Jacket. I think this is a gem of a blazer. 2 thumbs up from me @ the discounted price of $143 to my door (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...d-For-Men.html) Use ALOCTOBER9 for 20% off. FREE SHIPPING ANSWER: ELECTRIC LADY STUDIOS (Valid until Nov 1st. --click special order instructions when checking out, and cut and past the riddle, they will charge shipping which will later be removed when they ship your item). Regards. [​IMG]

2. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Current season? I may have a look.

3. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

No more XL, I'm bummed.

4. clausc

clausc Senior member

Not bad...
    Which color is yours? I need an Medium and is available in Olive only, I have already a Barbour trooper waxed jacket in this color. I think sandstone would be more versatile (available in S only).

5. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

What sort of square would you wear with waxed cotton?

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

[​IMG]

- B

7. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Senior member

I decided to try this a couple of other Barbours for this season. The blazer got my attention as it was an unusual offering, so i just had to get one. My brief review.

I think this is a gem of a blazer. 2 thumbs up from me @ the discounted price of $143 to my door (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...d-For-Men.html)
    Use ALOCTOBER9 for 20% off.

Thanks for putting us on to this, it looks like a really great item, ugh, thought I was set on jackets already, but may need to pick one up...

8. robin

robin Senior member

I have this coat, it was from last year I think. It's a much better alternative to their other jackets for wearing around the city.

9. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

At first I thought this sounded odd as hell, but now I really want one. [​IMG]

10. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Waxed silk?

11. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

With shell shoes and waxed laces? That's it, I'm getting one.

12. Threak

Threak Senior member

Thanks for putting us on to this, it looks like a really great item, ugh, thought I was set on jackets already...
    +1 [​IMG]. You owe my bank account an apology. EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think that same jacket had caught my eye while browsing STP last week, but it wasn't what I was looking for so I didn't pay much more attention to it. After that review, thought, it looks too good to pass up.

13. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

The OP gives an answer for free shipping...Electric Lady Studios. I didn't see any prompts for free shipping. Is that for STP credit card users only or something?

14. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

You enter that under special order instructions when checking out.

15. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

You enter that under special order instructions when checking out.

Thank you very much!

16. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

I don't know. I think the people making the jokes about pocket squares have a point. Waxed jackets are durable country wear. Blazers are, well, blazers. A waxed blazer seems only slightly less absurd than a waxed DJ. I can see what they were going for but it seems to me that they ended up with something that looks completely out-of-place in every environment.

17. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I don't know. I think the people making the jokes about pocket squares have a point. Waxed jackets are durable country wear. Blazers are, well, blazers. A waxed blazer seems only slightly less absurd than a waxed DJ. I can see what they were going for but it seems to me that they ended up with something that looks completely out-of-place in every environment.

I see it a little differently. I would wear this blazer as a casual fall coat/raincoat, not as a blazer. I think it would look silly with a pocket square (and I know that was just a joke) or even a tie, but would look great over a plaid shirt and a pair of jeans/moleskins/cords. To me, it might be worn instead of a harrington-style jacket. If I was going out for a couple of beers with my buddies, I might throw this "blazer" on and look a little sharper than your regular customer. It would look no more out of place than a Barbour Beaufort does on any of us who aren't actually bird hunting.

18. Chips

Chips Senior member

I had to get one. But I did have to pay $12 for shipping.

19. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

If you provided the riddle, they will adjust your invoice.

I just want to put this out there for the noobs: never pay shipping for STP items. Search, "free shipping riddle for STP".

20. forex

forex Senior member

Shikar,please post a picture wearing the blazer if you can.
    thanks