• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

6ft tall, slim (160lbs), and classy euro fit - what brands?

trynix

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

I woke up this week feeling done with all the misfitting items. If I ever wear baggy shirts or pants, or non-tailored suit, or a brick-like shoes, I might eat a catfish.

Anyways, going back to topic at hand: I have a semi-decent (and developing) understanding of what a good shirt/pants/suit fit should be - problem is in finding them.

As mentioned in the title, I'm 6ft and 160lbs - Obama-like build, and I'm looking for good quality fitting items, and I'm willing to splurge a bit and replace my wardrobe bit by bit. There are limited availability of niche brands here in Dubai (and they're quite pricey), nevertheless I'm willing to hunt for this.

I visited Brooks Brothers - really liked their polos but even their slim-fit looked like standard cut. Their medium normal-cut shirts fit the shoulders well but were a tiny bit baggy, and only the large slim-fit aligns with the shoulders but it's way too roomy. Their chinos are quite nice, and the quality of the blazers is decent too (but standard cut). Their shoes are brick-like and I'm really looking for something more elegant with the "roof" of the shoes closer to my foot. The issue is most of this stuff (except perhaps the pants) will need adjustment (which they offer) - has anyone tried adjusting their Brooks Brothers to EU-style cuts before?

For shoes, I'm considering going for 3 or 4 sizes of Meermin to figure out my fit and return the rest (it's a one time shipping investment hopefully for a future peace of mind). I just hope the width and style of the shoe will fit my foot as I'm rather on the narrower width and lower roof. Gucci Jordans Loafer size 43 was a good fit for example.
For suits, I'm considering getting a couple of double breast and 2-button ones from SuitSupply (btw opinion seems differing regarding the 2-button vs 3-button for someone of my height/weight, any thoughts?).
For dress shirts, I normally buy ready-made from Olymp but they're a tad baggy, so either I continue buying from them and go for a tailor, or I go for Brooks Brothers and ask them to tailor it, or I check out what Suit Supply has to offer, or perhaps other alternatives you may suggest.
For denim, I have a Valentino jeans that fits like a glove, so might continue seeking that brand or try something new - most I tried so far had baggy rear/thighs.
For chinos, I think the Brooks Brothers were decent enough.
For Polos, either get the Brooks Brothers and modify them, or (yet once again) check out Ralph Lauren's.

Anyways, you get the gist of what I'm looking for - high quality, well-fitting items for my build, with EU style cuts. Any thoughts on my approach above, or recommendations for other brands for polos, dress shirts, blazers, chinos, denim, shoes?

Thanks a bunch!

Hung-Wei Long

Reaction score
Don't get hung up too much on brands, as fitted and excellently tailored clothing options over the last decade have exploded. Focus first on your body type, use case, and your age. If you truly have an Obama-like slim frame at 6", you've got plenty of selection online, if Dubai's store's aren't working for you.

In general, all of your gear should be slim (not skinny) fit. Suit- get yourself first measured for jacket size in R. Then go for an S110-S120 pure wool fabric grade in slim fit, preferably 1 plain darker navy or charcoal, 1 subtle pattern (pinstripe, small checkered), and 1-2 lightweight blazers in cotton/wool mix (since you're in a desert climate), with more forward patterns like a loose checkered or a lighter color powder blue (just don't buy any color outside of standard brown, gray, blue or black shades). This is a cost effective setup bc they look stylish and professional with almost anything. Obama wears Hart Shaffner Marx suits BTW in case you were curious.

Casual wear, same thing- use the fit as the most important factor. Generally Banana Republic does a great job for the preppier slim fit look at a great price- sweaters, shirts, polos, and esp. chinos- and they should ship internationally.

QP3

Reaction score
Armani for suits. I'm about the same build as you, they fit slimmer men perfectly. Especially the Italian made one's (some are made in the far east or Portugal).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads