• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardigans, do they have a place as a wardrobe staple in modern menswear?

_Nicolas_

Reaction score
Hi All,

I certainly think they do, but I started looking a couple of years ago and I'm still not sure I've found the right one for me! Here in the UK they seem to have unfortunate associations with grandads and perhaps additionally 'sloppy' dressing with an emphasis on comfort, not stylishness. Perceived as very stuffy and outdated, generally! It makes it tricky to get wearing a cardigan right, but I think it's possible to still look both elegant and modern in one if you get the right piece. I think going slightly chunky is a way of doing it but also with a reasonably slim fit, and sometimes maybe going with something that looks rather rugged to contrast with the outdated 'domestic' association they have here.

Quite like this one from North Sea Clothing, considering it in grey or navy...

https://northseaclothing.com/collections/wool-knitwear/products/the-expedition-cardigan-navy

https://northseaclothing.com/collec...oducts/copy-of-the-explorer-cardigan-mid-grey

Do you have any cardigans in your wardrobe, do you consider them essential and/or versatile pieces and how do you style them? First post here and probably one of the menswear items I'm most curious about so I would hugely appreciate your input on this one! :)

Thanks,

Nick

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very essential. They add color and provide warmth. They are like all things a matter of opinion. Most of mine are from Uniqlo, Spier Mackay, and Polo.

DD54BFB2-1E1C-44DC-93C5-4FC56FE3A8DD.jpeg
C31B9E0F-8913-4CCF-AEA1-E8B1BF7A6EC0.jpeg
90271E86-B9D0-41A1-832C-F370944E4D62.jpeg

garyclark

Reaction score
I find cardigans - of varying shapes, sizes, fabrics, and colors - to be an indispensable part of my wardrobe.

I love the use of thin cardigans with suits and blazers (as indicated above in posts). But I also think medium and even chunky cardigans are very diverse in use, and can be dressed up or down. I definitely use them more in this fashion.

Yes, if you get one that is too big and droopy, like any piece of clothing, it can look sloppy. But to me, the right ones demonstrate that you are making an effort to look nice in settings where more formal clothes would make one feel overdressed.

Depending on the cardigan, it can work over an OCBD, polo, crew, or even a t-shirt. Here are some cardigan looks and style I enjoy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.20.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.20.47 PM.png
    955.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.22.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.22.41 PM.png
    892.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.27.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.27.17 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.31.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.31.31 PM.png
    941.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.33.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.33.10 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 114

msimon

Reaction score
This is why I like shawl cardigans, very versatile. Have a black sheep, 4ply william lockie and the camel hair 2 ply.

There just the coolest thing in knitwear in my opinion. I'm 30 and also from the UK. I allways get stares when wearing them, but I am learning to not to take any notice. I even get stares in my crew necks, people where I am are just not used to smart dressed knitwear, And to often I see that cheap sloppy look where I am.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
I haven't yet bought one, but I did get a chunky cable knit shawl collar sweater last year that I loved wearing. I would happily get a shawl collar cardigan as well. There are just too many pieces to buy, and that hasn't made it to the top of my list yet! :)

_Nicolas_

Reaction score
Very essential. They add color and provide warmth. They are like all things a matter of opinion. Most of mine are from Uniqlo, Spier Mackay, and Polo.

Great examples you posted! Wasn't really thinking of thinner cardigans but I'm seriously tempted after seeing those, particularly the burgundy and teal, very elegant. Don't generally wear waistcoats as they're a tad too formal for my overall style, but I'd love to give rocking one of those a try!

Depending on the cardigan, it can work over an OCBD, polo, crew, or even a t-shirt. Here are some cardigan looks and style I enjoy.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking, I just want to get 1-2 pieces and some seem very hard to beat as an item of clothing for versatility, particularly in a solid colour. Love the sky blue one you posted and the one Sinatra's wearing! :)

There just the coolest thing in knitwear in my opinion. I'm 30 and also from the UK. I allways get stares when wearing them, but I am learning to not to take any notice. I even get stares in my crew necks, people where I am are just not used to smart dressed knitwear,

I definitely feel like shawls are the easiest style of cardigan to pull off in the UK and they're also versatile in terms of the age of the wearer, which is partly why I want to invest in a couple of them. I'm 43 but they're the sort of thing that still won't look peculiar or out of place when I'm in my late fifties IMO. Wow, odd stares even with crew necks? 🙃 You must be right about the locals not being used to smart knitwear there, only time I've had a couple of stares here is in my cream cable-knit, they're a slightly more tolerant bunch! 😄

msimon

Reaction score
I definitely feel like shawls are the easiest style of cardigan to pull off in the UK and they're also versatile in terms of the age of the wearer, which is partly why I want to invest in a couple of them. I'm 43 but they're the sort of thing that still won't look peculiar or out of place when I'm in my late fifties IMO. Wow, odd stares even with crew necks? 🙃 You must be right about the locals not being used to smart knitwear there, only time I've had a couple of stares here is in my cream cable-knit, they're a slightly more tolerant bunch! 😄

I'm in dover, it's better then it was, but it's considered a run down poor town with ill used funds by the council, some would argue that they are corrupt. And it definitely shows that.

I can safely say that I do not dress like the usual in my age gap here, which is usually track suits and trainers, and it was once discussed and the simple answer to them was "I am not on my way to the gym".

The north sea shawl is on my list to buy actually.

_Nicolas_

Reaction score
Windsor Shawl Collar Cardigan by William Lockie is one of my favourite wardrobe items. It's very versatile and stylish in my opinion and at the same time also very comfortable and cozy. Perfect combination. Cashmere version is a pure indulgence.

Windsor Shawl Collar Cardigan

Love that, and can certainly appreciate why it's one of your favourites! Very sleek and 'clean'! This one and the sky blue one @garyclark posted would be the sort of thing I'd like for my more refined option, as well as a more casual, rugged cardigan.

There are just too many pieces to buy, and that hasn't made it to the top of my list yet! :)

My list has been shrinking lately, but I strongly suspect it's going to start seriously expanding if I start posting on this forum regularly! 😆

Thanks so much for all the feedback so far Guys, it has really helped to clarify my thoughts and what sort of pieces I'm aiming for. 👍 I think I'd like to start with something on the more casual, preppy end initially and then spend a little more time looking for something classier and slightly more formal.

Anyone here have experience with J Crew knitwear? How's the durability and fit? I quite like a couple of their shawl collar cardigans and they seem like a good starting point price-wise!

garyclark

Reaction score
Love that, and can certainly appreciate why it's one of your favourites! Very sleek and 'clean'! This one and the sky blue one @garyclark posted would be the sort of thing I'd like for my more refined option, as well as a more casual, rugged cardigan.

My list has been shrinking lately, but I strongly suspect it's going to start seriously expanding if I start posting on this forum regularly! 😆

Thanks so much for all the feedback so far Guys, it has really helped to clarify my thoughts and what sort of pieces I'm aiming for. 👍 I think I'd like to start with something on the more casual, preppy end initially and then spend a little more time looking for something classier and slightly more formal.

Anyone here have experience with J Crew knitwear? How's the durability and fit? I quite like a couple of their shawl collar cardigans and they seem like a good starting point price-wise!

I really like the look and style of the higher end J. Crew knitwear.

However, I find that they stretch out over time more quickly than other sweaters.

garyclark

Reaction score
I'd add that, in addition to slimmer cuts, one way not too look like a grandfather is to get one with bold weaves and bright colors.

transitoryanglo

Reaction score
Windsor Shawl Collar Cardigan by William Lockie is one of my favourite wardrobe items. It's very versatile and stylish in my opinion and at the same time also very comfortable and cozy. Perfect combination. Cashmere version is a pure indulgence.

Windsor Shawl Collar Cardigan
Nabbed a brown lambswool one of these myself on Ebay a little while ago and I'm glad I sprung for it. Easily the nicest piece of knitwear I own. My only complaint is the buttons, I might prefer an ever so slightly larger button on it if it was possible to fit one, perhaps a horn button rather than a leather one.

I also have a friend working on a similar garment made from grease in wool and done by hand, It'll be interesting to compare the two when its eventually finished.

transitoryanglo

Reaction score
In my wardrobe I have two shawl collar cardigans; One William Lockie brown lambswool cardigan, and one Arancrafts wool cardigan. The William Lockie one is by far the superior of the arancrafts, but to such an extent that I almost feel compelled to baby it and not wear it around the house. I have never been a big fan of ordinary cardigans, as far as associations go to me they're associated with people who are middle class enough to shop at M&S without the good sense to see they're paying more for a worse product. The sorts of people whos wives don't let them eat ketchup because its too common.

The Arancrafts one will likely be my go to this winter for casual stuff with a nice BDC shirt under it and a wool tie, which I will pair with my corduroys, moleskins, and my lined lands end chinos for maximum comfort in what I imagine is going to be a rather cold winter.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
In my wardrobe I have two shawl collar cardigans; One William Lockie brown lambswool cardigan, and one Arancrafts wool cardigan. The William Lockie one is by far the superior of the arancrafts, but to such an extent that I almost feel compelled to baby it and not wear it around the house. I have never been a big fan of ordinary cardigans, as far as associations go to me they're associated with people who are middle class enough to shop at M&S without the good sense to see they're paying more for a worse product. The sorts of people whos wives don't let them eat ketchup because its too common.

The Arancrafts one will likely be my go to this winter for casual stuff with a nice BDC shirt under it and a wool tie, which I will pair with my corduroys, moleskins, and my lined lands end chinos for maximum comfort in what I imagine is going to be a rather cold winter.

Thanks for this comment, very helpful! I've been looking at Arancrafts myself- I like the sweater I got from them last year that I mentioned above, so went to them to look at cardigans when this thread started. I blame you all if I end up with one this winter! :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads