• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30k to spend on a car...

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
OP neglected to take cost of ownership into considereation. I'd consider CPO Lexus, pretty much trouble free, low maintenance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
OP neglected to take cost of ownership into considereation. I'd consider CPO Lexus, pretty much trouble free, low maintenance.
I'm always surprised on car sites when recent owners of used cars complain about how much maintenance costs are. The costs are high, but it's not difficult to find this out before the purchase. Maintenance costs should always be considered.
facepalm.gif

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely consider maintenance, also consider if you have money to repair minor things. Nobody is a baller in a dented BMW, it just means they stretched to get there and then couldn't afford to maintain it.

Skip the 911, 986/996 porsches are ticking time bombs.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urijah1086
I really just want something that will be fun to drive lol i know thats pretty vague but thats what im looking for. What do yall think of Lotus Elise's?

You have no concerns about passenger room, cargo capacity, mileage, insurance costs, weather capabilities, road trip comfort? You're saying that it literally doesn't matter if the vehicle is a Cayenne Turbo or an Ariel Atom?

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Why would anyone buy an underpowered used 328i for 25K when a brand new 135 (+warranty/free maintenance) is available in the low 30s? Have you seen BMW lease rates lately?
because i think the 1 series looks like crap? don't know much about leases but i'm assuming it's like a long-term rental. 2 years for 30k lease? kinda a waste don'tcha think?

Originally Posted by Urijah1086
I really just want something that will be fun to drive lol i know thats pretty vague but thats what im looking for. What do yall think of Lotus Elise's?
interior looks like crap; not that fast and unless you have twisty roads, it's not that fun to drive.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Do 996 3.8's have the same oiling problems as the 3.6? Wasn't it established that the general design of all the non-turbo water cooled blocks (Boxster, 996 and 997 C2/4's) was prone to failure? You can get a ton of car for $30K though, indeed. I think I would choose the M3 over the 996, only for the fear of premature block failure/maintenance costs on the 996.
They fixed that with the refresh in 01 I believe. 03 would be safe. OP's list is about what I think is worth considering. Most 30K Japanese cars in the same class haven't really begun to depreciate. A 30K G35 is a waste. 20K G35 is a good deal. If the OP is handy at all w/a wrench I would also consider a 993 Carrera 2. From what I understand those cars are bulletproof (last incarnation of the air cooled motors = least glitches. Also IIRC the same block that serves the reliable 996-997 GT3s).

Urijah1086

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
They fixed that with the refresh in 01 I believe. 03 would be safe. OP's list is about what I think is worth considering. Most 30K Japanese cars in the same class haven't really begun to depreciate. A 30K G35 is a waste. 20K G35 is a good deal. If the OP is handy at all w/a wrench I would also consider a 993 Carrera 2. From what I understand those cars are bulletproof (last incarnation of the air cooled motors = least glitches. Also IIRC the same block that serves the reliable 996-997 GT3s).
Im decently handy with a wrench. When I was 17 I had a 99civic si. I (my brother and myself) installed a turbo on it successfully in our garage. It was a fairly quick car. Kinda miss it. But yeah I basically have it down to the 135i, e46m3, my brother suggested a cayman but iunno much about them...Saw one with a techart kit on it and it looked amazing.. Still weighing my options as i wont be able to drive a stick for about a month because im having surgery on both calf muscles next week, I tore both of them hah, but that gives me a good month to weigh my options... I do appreciate the help btw...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
They fixed that with the refresh in 01 I believe. 03 would be safe.

OP's list is about what I think is worth considering. Most 30K Japanese cars in the same class haven't really begun to depreciate. A 30K G35 is a waste. 20K G35 is a good deal.

If the OP is handy at all w/a wrench I would also consider a 993 Carrera 2. From what I understand those cars are bulletproof (last incarnation of the air cooled motors = least glitches. Also IIRC the same block that serves the reliable 996-997 GT3s).

ffffuuuu.gif

Do you know the source of the problem on these motors, or are you just making **** up again, CtK?
ffffuuuu.gif

ffffuuuu.gif
at "considering a 993" if one is 'handy with a wrench'
ffffuuuu.gif
I don't think the guy is gonna take his experience from putting a turbo kit on a Civic Si and make it applicable to fixing a 993.
ffffuuuu.gif
Another quality post from you.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in New England you could buy my immaculately maintained 2 yr old Infiniti FX35. AWD & a set of snow tires ready for winter! I just got stuck with a company car so it doesn't make sense to keep it. Perhaps 'stuck' with a company car isn't the right word...but it's a 2011 Ford Taurus...so maybe 'stuck' isn't that far off.

In all seriousness, I've been a German car fan since buying my first GTI in college ca. 1990 (it was an 83 GTI). When looking at vehicles in 08, I was really impressed with the Infiniti lineup. I didn't think I'd buy one until I started driving the G series sedans. The FX gave me a decent ride with a bit of room for 2 kids and a their accompanying items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads