• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 work boots. Choose 2!

Meezus

Reaction score
Posted this in MFA, but not getting much action. What do you think SF?

The options (all similarly priced):
Red Wing Iron Ranger in Amber Harness
RW Beckman in Black Cherry
Wolverine 1000 mile's in Rust

The goal is to get the two most different pairs (color/style), so as to maximize the usefulness of these in a wardrobe. I can't go see these in person; think I've got a good idea of style from photos, but the colors seem to change in every pic.
Or maybe the answer is they're all similar, and to just choose one.
Thanks!

NormanF

Reaction score
Posted this in MFA, but not getting much action. What do you think SF?

The options (all similarly priced):
Red Wing Iron Ranger in Amber Harness
RW Beckman in Black Cherry
Wolverine 1000 mile's in Rust

The goal is to get the two most different pairs (color/style), so as to maximize the usefulness of these in a wardrobe. I can't go see these in person; think I've got a good idea of style from photos, but the colors seem to change in every pic.
Or maybe the answer is they're all similar, and to just choose one.
Thanks!

Get one! You should also have winter boots and a pair of light chukkas in your wardrobe. Two work boots is overkill.

Last edited:

mixProtocol

Reaction score
If you're set on two different sets of boots, I'd get one higher-end (dressier) boot and one true workboot, like the Chippewa 20065. For the more pricey boot, you need to decide whether you want a leather or rubber sole before then choosing whether you want captoe, etc... You might also want to consider the AE Dalton, Longbranch -- or maybe the Bayfield. I agree w/ NormanF though, I'd aim for one only workboot.

Meezus

Reaction score
Stop trying to make me be reasonable guys!
Yea I guess I've just heard so many good things about these 3 boots and couldn't decide sight unseen. So f it, I'll just get 2.

Makes more sense to get something that firmly sits in the dress boot category than another pair of work boots. Was looking at that pair of Hawkins McGill brogue boots from urban outfitters as a $89 dressy boot,

but those AE Daltons are hot.

Not a big fan of those Chippewas, I like their j crew collab stuff but the price is up w RW/ Wolvies. So I'm thinking get the IR's then (definitive work boot), and a dress boot.
Thoughts? Reassure me SF.

Last edited:

the shivman

Reaction score
None of the above. Get a pair of White's and a pair of Nick's or Wesco's. All are much better quality than those crap options.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

None of the above. Get a pair of White's and a pair of Nick's or Wesco's. All are much better quality than those crap options.

White's makes great boots, and very high quality, but to argue the other options are "crap" is ridiculous.

To the OP, I think you will find the Wolverine 1k's the most comfortable.

OliverGauffe

Reaction score
To be completely honest, I would steer clear of the Cherry coloured ones, if you are looking for something that is versatile. The other two boots are excellent, and the colour is good. Personally I prefer the Red Wings, but the Wolverines are almost the same... Agree with above, though...you don't need 2 pairs of workboots. Get 1 workboot and a 1 desert boot.

Meezus

Reaction score
Really, I would've thought the dark-colored Black Cherry would be the most flexible both for matching colors and as far as dressing up/down.
Oh and I've already got my CDBs, but I find them really uncomfortable; I think they're a little big.

bertie

Reaction score
The dark cherry colour is reasonably versatile. However the RW boots are work boots - they are very stiff and a little bulbous, especially when compared to the 1000k. I'm not sure the RW can be worn as dressed up as the 1000k due to the different soles and overall shape and the 1000k are way more comfortable out of the box (I have both). If Ihad to pick one it would be the 1000k.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads