• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3-Roll-2.5: What is the point?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Chan suit? Can Chan make 3 to 2.5 successfully?

I assumed so. Patrick is familiar with it, but I don't think I've seen one in the wild (or through pics).

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Liverano, you dork.

- B

I know it's Liverano. I was asking Teddy who he was going to get his suit from as I don't think he's going to get it from Liverano. Assumed it would be Chan, if so, could Patrick cut a nice 3 to 2.5suit?
Are your Steeds true three button or 3 to 2.5?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
To me it's an issue of balance and subjective style. I used to not like the 3-roll-2.5 but have warmed to it lately. I like the symmetry of a little arc above and below the fulcrum button. Some good examples have a nice curve all the way from the lapels through the button and down into the quarters. Whereas 3-roll-2 create more of an X with straighter angles. Each has their place with me. The true 3 on the other hand...

Not the greatest examples, but what I quickly found:

buttons.jpg

Good illustration, but the 3r2.5 just looks like a reg 2 button to me, but with a nice roll vs. a 'hard' 2b that's suffered a bad pressing.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I assumed so. Patrick is familiar with it, but I don't think I've seen one in the wild (or through pics).

my WW Chan grey flannel suit is 3 roll 2.5 and has a button stance exactly like #2 in the comparison picture above

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are your Steeds true three button or 3 to 2.5?

The SBs are mostly 2.5, with a couple 3 and one 1.

I have the first 3 to 2 enroute, with the new (for me) but old (for A&S) patch pockets in the H&S faux tweed.

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So do you all pronounce it three roll two point five or three roll two and a half?
confused.gif

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
Frankly I think the 2.5 rollover lapel is about as stupid as the convertible cuff. There's 3-button and then there's 2-button, there's French cuff and then there's a button cuff. Get off the ***** train and pick one.

I was in the process of thinking up my response, but then I read this. No need to add anything else.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
So do you all pronounce it three roll two point five or three roll two and a half?
confused.gif

More like three to two point sixty seven.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
confused.gif

I suspect most people you talk to in real life wouldn't know either one. I doubt most tailors (who don't speak iGent) would know what it means. Verbosity is your friend here.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chan suit? Can Chan make 3 to 2.5 successfully?

Yes

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yes

gdl, didn't you make a good one as well? (pics please)
laugh.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
the reason i dont like 3 roll 2 (even with a nice roll) is that i see no point behind that. why not just get a two button then, why have the lines of a 2 button but with an extra buttonhole on the lapel. it just makes it look off.

of course i dont like 3 roll 3 or true 3.

so the only option i would go for in a 3 button is the 3 roll 2.5. it is the one that confidently captures the essence of what a 3 button suit should be all about.

the 3 roll 2 just looks like a 3 button ashamed to be a 3 button and trying to be so much like a 2 button

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a 3 roll 2 with a nice big roll is a 3 roll 2.5. There really is no difference between a 3r2 and a 3r2.5 except for the way the roll is done and pressed. All in all, this is a lot of hair splitting

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads