• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3/4 completed tailored suit, but its still boxy, what do i tell the tailor?

Mercatorn

Reaction score
My suit is about 3/4 done and my tailor has been cutting away at the excess fabric as i tell him - it fits really well but I think the suit still looks way too boxy, particularly at the bottom starting from below the top button (its a 2 button jacket). I told him its too boxy and ill see what happens next time i visit and I will take a photo. But as for now, any ideas what to tell him? I wouldn't think boxy is a problem if i was older but i'm in my 20s and it makes me look like im wearing my dad's suit...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mercatorn
My suit is about 3/4 done and my tailor has been cutting away at the excess fabric as i tell him - it fits really well but I think the suit still looks way too boxy, particularly at the bottom starting from below the top button (its a 2 button jacket). I told him its too boxy and ill see what happens next time i visit and I will take a photo. But as for now, any ideas what to tell him? I wouldn't think boxy is a problem if i was older but i'm in my 20s and it makes me look like im wearing my dad's suit...

Tell him now if you're not satisfied with the cut before it is too late...

You must have said something as soon as you spotted a problem.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mercatorn

You should tell him you like your coffee with two creams and two sugars, that's what.
bigstar[1].gif

facepalm.gif
(Do you really even have to ask what you should tell him?)
facepalm.gif

Millerp

Reaction score
It's often a good idea to show a tailor a picture of a style and
cut you like and ask him whether he can do such a style before
you order a suit.

For now, keep on telling him how you want it.

Waist suppression and open quarters can take away
boxiness somewhat, but it's impossible to give you any advice without
a picture.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photographs are useful to explain what you actually men and how it looks. It is pure guesswork without.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
You should tell him you like your coffee with two creams and two sugars, that's what.
bigstar[1].gif

facepalm.gif
(Do you really even have to ask what you should tell him?)
facepalm.gif

also known as a "double-double" in Tim Horton's speak.........
smile.gif

vincerich

Reaction score
Ask your tailor to emphasize waist suppression.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, sho'nuff:

Don't be a turd.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's impossible to tell what's going on based on your description, but it's also entirely likely that the tailor has just cut you what he thinks is correct or what he can do best. You can ask for more waist suppression or make the jacket more lean in certain places, but that isn't necessarily going to relieve what you perceive as boxiness.

Who's the tailor?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads