• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2018 shoe revival challenge - submit entries HERE

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
The collage is a great idea.

SF admin has been really active in providing support for this challenge. Kudos to them.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit of court.

This has been an amazing contest and I believe that most of have been watching closely. Some unbelievable work being done and the transformations are amazing. I can't wait to vote this week.
I have read that you plan to have other challenges in the future. Just a suggestion if you don't mind my sharing.
Similar type challenge but all the shoes are then donated to SF.
You then auction them off in combination with the other SF charity holiday auction or with one of the many resellers that are members here.
Money goes to a great cause, shoe guys get to showcase their talent every year with plenty of time to find shoes and do their thing. We could still vote but also see what pair brings in the most. I bet some of these would bring in good money.
Just an idea and again thanks for organizing this.

Great idea! Will definitely incorporate for next year!

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_2644.jpg
Hello All! I know my entry is too late, but figured I'd post anyway. LOL. What's with all the pebble grained gunboats? Kind of an easy challenge to polish up cg grain leather. Anyway, here's a pair of late 1910's to early 1920's Art Deco Spectators I cleaned up some years back. Of course the previous owner painted the buckskin maybe 50 years ago and THAT was a bear to work with. They were re-soled... by a half-blind cobbler, apparently as well. But, that can't be helped. Luckily the leather was not dried out.
$(KGrHqMOKnIFJV4biL8kBS(HGNZgzQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqZHJ!4FJRZ2PpytBS(HGJtZ,w~~60_57.JPG
IMAG0846.jpg
IMAG0848.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was really hard to vote. There was a bunch of amazing entries!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear SF community,

Thank you to the 19 participants in the inaugural "shoe revival challenge." I anticipate on hosting it each year with new twists and turns to make it more interesting and enticing.

Thank you to the many members who voted.

The top 3 finishers are:

1. @Mbaldinger with 130 votes;
2. @JohnAAG with 119 votes; and
3. @wasmisterfu with 75 votes.

I will contact them individually about claiming their prizes.

Lastly, I am recognizing @Shoonoob and his entry. He sanded down his shoes and found new material. He has opened our eyes about the possibility of reviving what was apparently a "dead end pair." His courage, ingenuity, and audacity, has opened a new path for shoe enthusiasts and thrifters. We can bring any pair back! Well, almost any pair. @Shoonoob is the recipient of the organizer's trophy for being a leader in the shoe revival realm.
@Shoonoob will receive a $35US credit for @mariusscott 's etsy/ebay store. @mariusscott is a prolific member who actively hunts and sells vintage shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen - trade the final products if you wish.

If anyone has a pair in 8.5/9 eee, you know how to find me.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My official entry:

Florsheim 93603 PTB, manufacture code of KA, so I'm assuming manufactured in 1980.

Before:
View attachment 1024257
View attachment 1024258
View attachment 1024259
Halfway there:
View attachment 1024255
View attachment 1024254
Finished product:
View attachment 1024252
View attachment 1024251
View attachment 1024250
The process:
1. Clean inside with anti-bac wipes, followed by UV treatment.
2. Clean welt with Lexol Cleaner and toothbrush.
3. Not satisfied with results from #2, so used Billy Mays approved OxiClean on welt
4. Renomat upper
5. Not satisfied with results in step 4 so used denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) to clean upper.
6. Sand sole and heel edge to clean using 60, 100, 150, 220 and 320 grit sandpaper.
7. 1 coat AE neutral Heel & Sole Edge Dressing
8. Clear kiwi wax on heel & sole edge x3
9. Bick 4 x2
10. AE Walnut polish (in tube) x 2
11. Somewhat satisfied so used neutral Collonil 1909 x1
12. Touch up heel piping with black crème polish.

Because if nothing else, I can follow rules:
View attachment 1024256

Good luck to all of you and carry on gentlemen. This has been fun.

View attachment 1024253
I’d be interested in trading these 10E PTB straight up for something in or around 11D. Full disclosure, they need new heels very soon. PM me if interested.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
893DF586-4C84-45CF-A68F-EDC946EC943D.jpeg

These are 11D, but I wear 13B.
(And I’m keeping the tassels from the laces. I took them off a different pair for the photos.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics