• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2018 50 Book Challenge

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

9. The Spy Who Came In From the Cold 1963 John le Carre
I haven't read many spy books, but I sure enjoyed this one. Lots of twists and turns and a surprise ending. I am now entering my mystery phase with a couple of interesting other books sandwiched between.

This is probably one of the best spy books ever, and it's definitely a good place to start.

If you're into mysteries, and looking for something new, you might want to check out Melville House's international crime series. They've done a bunch of nice editions of Spanish, Russian, etc. detective/mystery stuff. They look really nice all lined up on the bookshelf too. :D

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is probably one of the best spy books ever, and it's definitely a good place to start.

100 % correct. You may want to consider Tinker Tailor, Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley's People now. The Smiley trilogy is Le Carre at his best.

TheDelta

Reaction score
Rereading alot of the Ender's game series (15 year old cousin is reading them and wants to discuss so i have to remember)

However I did just order The Spy Who Came in from the Cold on Amazon based on this thread. Pretty excited as the only spy books ive read were the bourne novels.

Also just picked up Decision Points for a little Republican fanfare reading.

Oh, and after watching the new Sherlock Holmes I'd like to read some of the actual novels, Anyone have a good suggestion on where to start?

Last edited:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

100 % correct. You may want to consider Tinker Tailor, Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley's People now. The Smiley trilogy is Le Carre at his best.

Which is the first one? I think I read the second. I hate that.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

Oh, and after watching the new Sherlock Holmes I'd like to read some of the actual novels, Anyone have a good suggestion on where to start?

Well, there are only four actual novels. The best of them are The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Sign of the Four.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Study in Scarlet is the first novel but weaker than the other three. My personal favorite is probably The Sign of Four but I also love the less famous and final novel The Valley of Fear. All Sherlock Holmes novels (and a big dose of the short stories) are mandatory reading. If it was me, I would take them in chronological order.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which is the first one? I think I read the second. I hate that.

What is sometimes called the Karla trilogy starts with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, continues with The Honourable Schoolboy and ends with Smiley's People. George Smiley and Le Carre's special world of English espionage already appears in earlier novels such as Call for the Dead and A Murder of Quality. They are all very good but especially brilliant, in my view, are the first two of the Karla trilogy.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

What is sometimes called the Karla trilogy starts with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, continues with The Honourable Schoolboy and ends with Smiley's People. George Smiley and Le Carre's special world of English espionage already appears in earlier novels such as Call for the Dead and A Murder of Quality. They are all very good but especially brilliant, in my view, are the first two of the Karla trilogy.

I have TTSS on way from Amazon. The other 2 aren't on THE LIST so I shan't read them.

Time's a wastin'. My girls have told me they will not read them to me in the nursing home.

Last edited:

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess you can start with TTSS and then see if there may be reason to pick a couple from outside THE LIST.
1001 / 50 is only around 20 years. Unless you are approaching 70 you should still have time. :D

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Well, I guess you can start with TTSS and then see if there may be reason to pick a couple from outside THE LIST.
1001 / 50 is only around 20 years. Unless you are approaching 70 you should still have time. :D

One would think I had time..But then there are all those brain cells I burnt.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Can I count books I have to read for class?

If I can't..

Still working on (my hard book):

kershaw-nemesis-argo.jpg

Just Finished

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

Last edited:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Can I count books I have to read for class?
If I can't..
Still working on (my hard book):
kershaw-nemesis-argo.jpg

Just Finished
The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

I'm OK with it. FWIW the protagonist in White Noise headed an entire dept about Hitler.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Books read for class or "pleasure" doesn't matter, it is still damn hard work. To count towards this challenge, a short review should be posted for each book, that's all. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads