• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2012 Rolls Royce Phantom vs. Vintage 1950s Phantom to High School Prom?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take the vintage. Let the car break down in the middle of the woods.

Whip out your iPhone and proceed to record all your friends get horrifically slaughtered by a crazy axeman who jerks off to the bodies of kids who failed to make it to prom.

Last edited:

drichards2013

Reaction score
Take the vintage. Let the car break down in the middle of the woods.

Whip out your iPhone and proceed to record all your friends get horrifically slaughtered by a crazy axeman who jerks off to the bodies of kids who failed to make it to prom.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, it all comes down to individual preference.

Some of my friends and I hired a vintage Rolls to take us to our high school formal, and it was great - much nicer and more distinctive than the generic, modern limousines that other people hired.

What are you thinking of wearing? Are you going to dress in classic, black tie attire (ie shawl or peak lapel dinner jacket, black bow tie etc) or are you going to be more "fashion forward" in your choice of clothes (notch lapel tuxedo, skinny black tie, maybe a patterned shirt or a coloured jacket etc etc).

If the former, then you'd look great with a vintage Rolls. If the latter, then it might suit the modern Rolls better.

Ultimately, however, it's up to you and what style you prefer.

drichards2013

Reaction score
Really, it all comes down to individual preference.

Some of my friends and I hired a vintage Rolls to take us to our high school formal, and it was great - much nicer and more distinctive than the generic, modern limousines that other people hired.

What are you thinking of wearing? Are you going to dress in classic, black tie attire (ie shawl or peak lapel dinner jacket, black bow tie etc) or are you going to be more "fashion forward" in your choice of clothes (notch lapel tuxedo, skinny black tie, maybe a patterned shirt or a coloured jacket etc etc).

If the former, then you'd look great with a vintage Rolls. If the latter, then it might suit the modern Rolls better.

Ultimately, however, it's up to you and what style you prefer.
I was going for a "Great Gatsby" kind of look. Straight up classic.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In all seriousness, go for the new one if you want to look like a 'baller.'

But I'd go for the old school Royce.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a 'look at me' thread is it not? And in the end you will go with what you like unless someone gives you a darned good reason to choose one over the other....and no such reason exists. If you are going for Gatsby, then you need a much older car -- but hardly anyone will know the difference between a '20s RR and a '50s. Anyway, Jay probably ran over Myrtle in his car, so that's a somber way to go to the prom.

More important is the question of what you are going to wear.

~ H

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

This is kind of a 'look at me' thread is it not? And in the end you will go with what you like unless someone gives you a darned good reason to choose one over the other....and no such reason exists. If you are going for Gatsby, then you need a much older car -- but hardly anyone will know the difference between a '20s RR and a '50s. Anyway, Jay probably ran over Myrtle in his car, so that's a somber way to go to the prom.

More important is the question of what you are going to wear.

~ H

:lol:

I'd be really, really impressed if this kid could find a '20s Silver Ghost available for hire anywhere in the US (a quick google shows one or two available in the UK, none in the US that I can find).

If you really want to impress your friends, you have to show up in a Phantom IV. Besides, the modern Phantom is an incredibly ugly car.

Godot

Reaction score
Either would be spectacular, but the rental fees seem to be at least $250 an hour. If your prom and after prom take 8 hours then your spending $2000 plus tip. Unless your very wealthy, this seems to be very extravagant.. It's a prom! If you were my son, I'd say take a cab. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads