Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2010 movie catch up

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt [email protected]

OK boys, I need to do this a couple of times a year, because as much as I love living here, it is a cinematic wasteland that detaches me from movies that are more obscure than The A Team.

Have a long ass flight to look forward to in a couple of days, what movies should I download to watch?

Newer stuff please...say, under a year old.

What have we enjoyed this year thus far?

2. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

If you like Gainsbourg, you should check out the biopic that Joann Sfar released a few months ago.

3. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

If you mean less than a year old since US cinema release, I have not a lot to say .. Except from Ghostwriter and Remember Me, no other recs.
    However I would rec Leaving, French title Partir, with Kristin Scott Thomas.

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I'm not really being anal about cinematic release dates, it's just that if I don't quantify something, people end up posting 'dude, did you see Casablanca/True Romance/Braveheart?' and so on...so just locking people down to a year or so, as these things have a habit of stretching out. Coincidentally, I downloaded and watched Ghost Writer yesterday actually, it was OK. I had read the book, and was one of those rare cases where I probably preferred the film. SPB_lady also mentioned I should watch A Single Man, also watched it yesterday. It was well made, very nicely done stylistically. Tom Ford will greatly appreciate my fist bump, I'm sure. Remember Me - with that kid from Twilight? Just looked it up, reviews were pretty scathing...you liked it? Oh - and no foreign films - will be watching on this tiny ass eeepc, subtitles will be way too much for my old eyes to handle on that thing [​IMG]

5. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Oh - and no foreign films - will be watching on this tiny ass eeepc, subtitles will be way too much for my old eyes to handle on that thing [​IMG]
    Aren't there dubbed versions or something?

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I find dubbed movies unwatchable, so I am not being snobbish about foreign films. Well, other than French films. They suck. Nothing good has ever come out of France and that is an obvious truth, so move on [​IMG]. Nah, I'll save the non-English stuff for another time.

7. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

I find dubbed movies unwatchable, so I am not being snobbish about foreign films.
    And here I had great chick films from Bollywood to recommend [​IMG] . Too bad, your loss.

Again, your loss. Laetitia Casta portraying Bardot dancing nude in Gainsbourg's appartment. 'Nuff said. [​IMG]

8. Matt

Matt [email protected]

clearly I cannot do that justice on my eee.

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

"Boy" was pretty good.

10. TheIdler

TheIdler Senior member

I don't know what you get out there, but these were all pretty good, mainstream enough to find easily, and more or less in your time frame:

District 9
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Shutter Island
    Toy Story 3

11. Dorothea

Dorothea Member

I don't know what you get out there, but these were all pretty good, mainstream enough to find easily, and more or less in your time frame:

District 9
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Shutter Island
    Toy Story 3

Toy Story 3[​IMG]

12. alan

alan Senior member

When was up in the air released

That was a nice movie

13. Matt

Matt [email protected]

thanks for the suggestions boys...

Boy sounds interesting, but a pain in the ass to find a torrent for (so many movies with boy in the title) plus, obscure kiwi films are hard to find anyhow...dammit.

Dist 9 was great, Fantastic Mr Fox decent, and I bought a pirate DVD of Toy Story 3 the other day, but it was unwatchable. Apparently the torrents aren't much better, so guess I'll wait.

Up in the Air wasn't bad, saw it a couple months back.

Ive been ducking Shutter Island, but people keep telling me it's good, so I think I'll add it to the download queue (behind The Runaways)...

Keep em coming lads...

14. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Kick-Ass was hilarious

15. Matt

Matt [email protected]

haha, ya, it was great.