• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 movie catch up

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
OK boys, I need to do this a couple of times a year, because as much as I love living here, it is a cinematic wasteland that detaches me from movies that are more obscure than The A Team.

Have a long ass flight to look forward to in a couple of days, what movies should I download to watch?

Newer stuff please...say, under a year old.

What have we enjoyed this year thus far?

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Gainsbourg, you should check out the biopic that Joann Sfar released a few months ago.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you mean less than a year old since US cinema release, I have not a lot to say .. Except from Ghostwriter and Remember Me, no other recs.
However I would rec Leaving, French title Partir, with Kristin Scott Thomas.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I'm not really being anal about cinematic release dates, it's just that if I don't quantify something, people end up posting 'dude, did you see Casablanca/True Romance/Braveheart?' and so on...so just locking people down to a year or so, as these things have a habit of stretching out. Coincidentally, I downloaded and watched Ghost Writer yesterday actually, it was OK. I had read the book, and was one of those rare cases where I probably preferred the film. SPB_lady also mentioned I should watch A Single Man, also watched it yesterday. It was well made, very nicely done stylistically. Tom Ford will greatly appreciate my fist bump, I'm sure. Remember Me - with that kid from Twilight? Just looked it up, reviews were pretty scathing...you liked it? Oh - and no foreign films - will be watching on this tiny ass eeepc, subtitles will be way too much for my old eyes to handle on that thing
smile.gif

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Oh - and no foreign films - will be watching on this tiny ass eeepc, subtitles will be way too much for my old eyes to handle on that thing
smile.gif

Aren't there dubbed versions or something?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I find dubbed movies unwatchable, so I am not being snobbish about foreign films. Well, other than French films. They suck. Nothing good has ever come out of France and that is an obvious truth, so move on
tounge.gif
. Nah, I'll save the non-English stuff for another time.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I find dubbed movies unwatchable, so I am not being snobbish about foreign films.
And here I had great chick films from Bollywood to recommend
laugh.gif
. Too bad, your loss.

Nothing good has ever come out of France and that is an obvious truth, so move on.
Again, your loss. Laetitia Casta portraying Bardot dancing nude in Gainsbourg's appartment. 'Nuff said.
inlove.gif

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you get out there, but these were all pretty good, mainstream enough to find easily, and more or less in your time frame:

District 9
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Shutter Island
Toy Story 3

Dorothea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
I don't know what you get out there, but these were all pretty good, mainstream enough to find easily, and more or less in your time frame:

District 9
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Shutter Island
Toy Story 3

Toy Story 3
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions boys...

Boy sounds interesting, but a pain ********** to find a torrent for (so many movies with boy in the title) plus, obscure kiwi films are hard to find anyhow...dammit.

Dist 9 was great, Fantastic Mr Fox decent, and I bought a pirate DVD of Toy Story 3 the other day, but it was unwatchable. Apparently the torrents aren't much better, so guess I'll wait.

Up in the Air wasn't bad, saw it a couple months back.

Ive been ducking Shutter Island, but people keep telling me it's good, so I think I'll add it to the download queue (behind The Runaways)...

Keep em coming lads...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads