2010 movie catch up

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt [email protected]

OK boys, I need to do this a couple of times a year, because as much as I love living here, it is a cinematic wasteland that detaches me from movies that are more obscure than The A Team.

Have a long ass flight to look forward to in a couple of days, what movies should I download to watch?

Newer stuff please...say, under a year old.

What have we enjoyed this year thus far?

2. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

If you like Gainsbourg, you should check out the biopic that Joann Sfar released a few months ago.

3. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

If you mean less than a year old since US cinema release, I have not a lot to say .. Except from Ghostwriter and Remember Me, no other recs.
    However I would rec Leaving, French title Partir, with Kristin Scott Thomas.

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I'm not really being anal about cinematic release dates, it's just that if I don't quantify something, people end up posting 'dude, did you see Casablanca/True Romance/Braveheart?' and so on...so just locking people down to a year or so, as these things have a habit of stretching out. Coincidentally, I downloaded and watched Ghost Writer yesterday actually, it was OK. I had read the book, and was one of those rare cases where I probably preferred the film. SPB_lady also mentioned I should watch A Single Man, also watched it yesterday. It was well made, very nicely done stylistically. Tom Ford will greatly appreciate my fist bump, I'm sure. Remember Me - with that kid from Twilight? Just looked it up, reviews were pretty scathing...you liked it? Oh - and no foreign films - will be watching on this tiny ass eeepc, subtitles will be way too much for my old eyes to handle on that thing [​IMG]

5. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Oh - and no foreign films - will be watching on this tiny ass eeepc, subtitles will be way too much for my old eyes to handle on that thing [​IMG]
    Aren't there dubbed versions or something?

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I find dubbed movies unwatchable, so I am not being snobbish about foreign films. Well, other than French films. They suck. Nothing good has ever come out of France and that is an obvious truth, so move on [​IMG]. Nah, I'll save the non-English stuff for another time.

7. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

I find dubbed movies unwatchable, so I am not being snobbish about foreign films.
    And here I had great chick films from Bollywood to recommend [​IMG] . Too bad, your loss.

Again, your loss. Laetitia Casta portraying Bardot dancing nude in Gainsbourg's appartment. 'Nuff said. [​IMG]

8. Matt

Matt [email protected]

clearly I cannot do that justice on my eee.

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

"Boy" was pretty good.

10. TheIdler

TheIdler Senior member

I don't know what you get out there, but these were all pretty good, mainstream enough to find easily, and more or less in your time frame:

District 9
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Shutter Island
    Toy Story 3

11. Dorothea

Dorothea Member

I don't know what you get out there, but these were all pretty good, mainstream enough to find easily, and more or less in your time frame:

District 9
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Shutter Island
    Toy Story 3

Toy Story 3[​IMG]

12. alan

alan Senior member

When was up in the air released

That was a nice movie

13. Matt

Matt [email protected]

thanks for the suggestions boys...

Boy sounds interesting, but a pain in the ass to find a torrent for (so many movies with boy in the title) plus, obscure kiwi films are hard to find anyhow...dammit.

Dist 9 was great, Fantastic Mr Fox decent, and I bought a pirate DVD of Toy Story 3 the other day, but it was unwatchable. Apparently the torrents aren't much better, so guess I'll wait.

Up in the Air wasn't bad, saw it a couple months back.

Ive been ducking Shutter Island, but people keep telling me it's good, so I think I'll add it to the download queue (behind The Runaways)...

Keep em coming lads...

14. Matt

Matt [email protected]

haha, ya, it was great.