• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Chan suit -- pics

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The amount of shirt sleeve that you show is a preference, but around here to show none is a glaring error.

Shorten those sleeves.

And yes, the pants seem way too long but that too is fixable.

And I would not have chosen quarters closed as much.

If this was your first bespoke suit, you did OK. It could be improved upon, but you will get there.

max power

Reaction score
Thank you for the comments!

The button stance was the first thing I noticed, too (after the sleeve and trouser length issues). My concern with this jacket is that it looks a little off-balance and almost pear-shaped at times, in light of the high button stance and pronounced waist suppression (e.g., in the pic where the colors are notably off for some reason).

I hadn't noticed the "short-in-front" issue, but appreciate the comments along those lines. Nothing we can do about that now (like the button stance), but I'll ask Patrick about these issues if I go for a second suit.

Another thing that bothers me is a slight bunching at the right shoulder, as you can kind of see in the zoomed-in picture. There's a persistent fold that comes down the front from the shoulder to the bottom of the arm-hole, and some corresponding rippling down the back as well. I am hoping Patrick can remedy this. I'll also have him take a look at the collar and vents.

As for the apparent trouser looseness (not length), I'm not sure how that can be remedied. My thighs/calves are fairly wide (and my inseam quite short), so there's not much space to work with, unfortunately. I would like to fix the bagging in the seat, as ghermann pointed out, though.

Ed: Why don't you like my flap pockets?

AntonioG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max power
Thank you for the comments!

My concern with this jacket is that it looks a little off-balance and almost pear-shaped at times, in light of the high button stance and pronounced waist suppression

+1

LawrenceUK

Reaction score
Overall I think its a pretty nice fitting suit. Jacket length judged by the rule of dividing you in half looks fairly spot on. How this could be judged too short is beyond me, some people obviously like to wear sandwich boards...

Bottom line you are short and stocky with very sloping shoulders and big thighs. Not a natural suit model.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
The pants are too long, that's the only thing I would say for certain.

Agree. Sleeves a tad long perhaps, but I wouldn't bother changing them. I thought the open quarters business was more a matter of contemporary fashion. I am surprised they are so closed on the OP's suit since Patrick has been opening them up a bit more on the most recent jackets he's made for me. Jacket length looks okay to me.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I am surprised they are so closed on the OP's suit since Patrick has been opening them up a bit more on the most recent jacket's he's made for me. Jacket length looks okay to me.

He's been doing the same for me, Jan, but that's only been by adamant request. My impression, from my initial suit and from what I've seen, is that Chan's default is relatively closed quarters.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He has been opening up the quarters on my jackets on his own volition, nothing I requested.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pretty much like the suit with a few exceptions that have already been mentioned. The quarters are too closed and the length of the sleeves and pants is too long.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never had any resistance from Chan regarding my request for open quarters. I actually sent the request by e-mail as an after thought. They did a great job with it. But it's probably something that should be specified if one wants a noticeable difference in the quarters.

max power

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
He has been opening up the quarters on my jackets on his own volition, nothing I requested.

Hmm. I had asked for open quarters when I ordered this suit.

Originally Posted by LawrenceUK
Bottom line you are short and stocky with very sloping shoulders and big thighs. Not a natural suit model.

Guilty as charged! Given my frame, this is much better than anything I've found OTR. I'll see about fixing some of the minor issues with this suit and probably give it another whirl (i.e., order another one) next week. Appreciate the feedback.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im sorry but what are quarters? i apologize for the dumb question.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223
im sorry but what are quarters? i apologize for the dumb question.

To put it in its simplest terms, it's where the two halves of your jacket meet below the bottom button.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Love the suit... love the fit. The only thing I would change is the length of the pants - too long. That's my pref... yours might be different. Everything else looks great to me. Congratulations!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads