• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1960's long collars

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does one find shirts with long collars worn by The Beatles, Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange, Michael Caine, etc? I really like the look of the collars, especially when they have don't have collar stays in and sort of curve around a tie (I think Vox had a similar look in a recent WAYWRN that a few people commented on).

Can anyone help me find shirts like these (or tell me I'm crazy and that they're all over the place and I'm just blind)?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally am not a fan of the long, point collars of the 1970's. Too disco-esque for me. I am, however quite fond of the longer collars with rounded tips which were from the late 60's and early 70's. I have a few vintage pieces that feature this type of collar. For example, here is a Pierre Cardin (before his clothing took the downward slump) shirt, circa 1968.
DSC05783.jpg
IIRC, you could probably have a custom shirt-maker make one up. If you're not afraid of vintage, try thrifting or eBay. I also know there are a few current clothing makers who produce such "throwback" designs.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Utterly terrible...the thrift stores are filled with enough big collar polyester shirts to clothe you for years - stop by your local one.
plain.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed alot of these when watching a DVD of Sid Davis shorts from the 50s. Usually, the shirt was worn under a sweater with the collar peaks hanging down. I thought it was more of a youth culture trend.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys completely misunderstood me- I thought my examples would be enough to explain. I didn't mean weird polyester shirts in awful patterns that were meant to be worn outside the collar of your suit with no tie while you disco dance. I meant things like this:
MichaelCaine4.JPG

Paul and John in this pic:
168020_TheBeatles_003.jpg

the_beatles_american_idol.0.0.0x0.360x375.jpeg

the_beatles_7.jpg

dzang

Reaction score
They wore those long point collars all throught Goodfellas...just watched it yesterday
smile.gif
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads