• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long sleeve wool polo - with a shirt underneath?

bobby jonathan

Reaction score
I have a few of these long-sleeved polos in merino wool or cashmere, and I have always worn them either with nothing underneath or at most an undershirt. Then I came across this Permanent Style article about Luca Faloni which has a picture of a guy wearing one with a shirt underneath it, which is not something I'd considered before and not something I'm used to seeing on men when I'm out and about.

I dunno - something just seemed odd to me about the idea of having two shirt-type collars on top of each other.

So I tried it and actually though it looked quite cool, using the long-sleeve polo as a middle layer, rather than exclusively as a bottom-layer, as I've always done in the past. Is this acceptable? Or is it just like the sort of thing that's done in photoshoots to look striking and edgy, but actually looks a bit weird when you see it in real-life on a middle-aged dad?

View attachment 1900537

It looks like a frankfurter, stuck inside a bratwurst, tucked inside some high rise jeans.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Disagree here, I wear only spread collar shirts, as I don't have any Button Down, and I absolutely like as they look with a polo sweater.

I'm sure a spread collar as underlayer can look striking as well. As long you are satisfied with the look, I guess then that's all it matters !

However, what I meant was that it would give a totally different vibe , to me at least. A spread collar shirt would look much more formal and resembles more to the look achieved with a V-neck where the shirt is actually the accent piece. Here in OP's mentioned look, the shirt is meant to be much more subtle, it adds a twist to the polo much like how a handkerchief or pocket square would add a twist to a jacket.

In the article itself, it's mentioned the shirt is actually a one-piece collar shirt, because this type of shirt shows the collar in a very minimalistic way and the collar won't flip to the outside. Considering many don't have this type of shirt, a button down mimics this neat look.

rjc149

Reaction score
Personally I think the collar-over-collar only looks good when the outer layer is a button-up overshirt or a "shacket," and it definitely needs to have a spread collar, not a button-down. The way you're wearing it, there's too much going on around your neck. It sort of looks like you're mimicking an ascot. Maybe this could look better with a loose-fitting rugby shirt worn untucked over the collared shirt beneath.

I personally keep it to a single shirt collar. I would default to a v-neck sweater as a pullover, or a henley shirt underneath if I'm dressing for warmth.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Drake's does this with rugbies.

Your primary issue is that the polo is far too tight. If all of your clothes fit slim, then stuffing an extra layer in between your shirt and jacket is bust asking for trouble.

Then... the Luca Faloni model is, unfortunately for us, very pretty. Layering in this way is not practical for most of us -- a boring collared shirt on top of a boring collared shirt just looks wrong unless you're just so pretty that your face carries the outfit. This is what Drake's gets right: their rugbies are weird. They have complex color schemes. The heavy jersey of a rugby has this paradoxically stiff slouchiness to it. It sticks out in a careless way that makes you think this guy is sloppy... except he's also wearing a tie and a sport jacket, there's clear intentionality at play, a mixing of sporty and formal elements.

Maybe that's not what you were hoping to read. But I think that's how to crack this problem.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
177160.jpg
In all seriousness though, that's too many collars.

TheJoker932

Reaction score
I'm not sure I like it myself but keep going it may catch on
who was the first guy to wear a polo neck with a shirt over the top?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a killjoy but best to be avoided if this dude does it.

1678482005364.png

TheJoker932

Reaction score
it was Charles the 1st who had two shirts on before they lopped his head off

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing but I'm glad you pointed it out and not me.
I'll go one step further. Two collars trending with cirrhotic seditionists plagued with rampant eczema, halitosis, and a foul yet unidentifiable stench.

You're welcome. :stirpot:

1678482548893.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads