• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does it seem like fashion writers are hastening a demise of heritage/Americana?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just when menswear is getting really interesting, writers seem to be chomping at the bit to be the first ones to declare it all "over" and ushering a "darker, Euro look." Is the traditional American nostalgic look ever really "over?" I took the last couple years in menswear as a sign that men were just dressing better... Can't we just take cues from Europe without being told that our entire closets are now full of passe garbage because frat boys discovered boat shoes?

Example:

http://www.businessoffashion.com/201...-menswear.html

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Just when menswear is getting really interesting, writers seem to be chomping at the bit to be the first ones to declare it all "over" and ushering a "darker, Euro look." Is the traditional American nostalgic look ever really "over?" I took the last couple years in menswear as a sign that men were just dressing better... Can't we just take cues from Europe without being told that our entire closets are now full of passe garbage because frat boys discovered boat shoes? Example: http://www.businessoffashion.com/201...-menswear.html
Because the whole workwear/Americana thing was yet another trend. And fashion thrives on trends.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Right. Personally I think if you're a connoisseur of the Americana/heritage look, you should welcoming it passing out of "trend" status.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also - it's not fashion writers, it's the designers.

Fashion writers are just reporting on what they see on the runways or in the collections.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fashion writers need an injection of common sense if they believe every office in America and Europe will be jam packed by those wearing all black outfits (suits, ties, shirts, shoes). Absolute crock of ****, never will happen. I avoid reading those articles generally, stupid people write them.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Is the traditional American nostalgic look ever really "over?" I took the last couple years in menswear as a sign that men were just dressing better...

Frankly I find the hipster beard + red wings workwear look just as gimmicky and passe as the black-on-black goth ninja trend or the tie dye + bell bottoms trend.

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Because the whole workwear/Americana thing was yet another trend.

It really was. It was an honest trend, though. It was born out of the recession, in some ways. Banks were collapsing. People were losing their homes. There was this feeling of longing for a more stable time, a time when America was constantly on the up and up.

So in came plaids, raw denims, etc. Stuff that lasts. Good, honest products built well.

But, as always, people didn't want to play nice. You couldn't just wear that raw denim for 10 years and then retire it. People wanted to sandpaper it down to nothing to get their fades right (http://denimdebate.com/). ACL and Billy Kirk collaborate on a nice, old world bag, and some idiot on the internets is tripping over himself to destroy it before the first good use (http://thepackhold.tumblr.com/post/1...years-of-wear).

So out of the recession came this desire for honest goods, but people couldn't help their consumerist urges and had to destroy it. They were dying to make their **** look old and distressed and ruined and ridiculous. This is the stuff people laugh at Abercrombie for doing in their factories, only to go do the same **** in their basement.

Ultimately, the "Americana" trend was just that, a trend. If sleeker fabrics and cuts become the rage, so be it. Maybe people will stop sandpapering wallet fades into their asses (the Denim Debate site it like this amazing chronicle of human stupidity, all in one place...it's like an accident you can't look away from). The **** wasn't gonna last, and, in any case, it will come back in 10 years or so, so don't miss it too much.

Fred H.

Reaction score
There is such an explosion of content and commentary right now. A million different voices... A million different photogs... It's hard to discern the real trends. But from what I can see, the RL / Americana look is thriving. Look at the number of blogs and tmblr sites celebrating that vs tailored. It's not even close.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Well there is the point that people into classic style don't really need to listen to the twitterings of fashion writers...but

The American renaissance look may have been somewhat co-opted by the fashion community and supplied by bandwagon fashion houses, and these always move onto the next thing. This doesn't mean the style of it goes away and disappears; it only means it stops being a fashion 'trend'.

For the record, people in Europe don't wear 'only dark colours' and 'mostly black'. You'll find as many glen checked suits and tweed jackets as will anywhere else. It's always been that way.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trends are for fools.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering- was the author trying to lump the American Ivy-look fascination in with the fading out of the workwear trend? If so, I can see how workwear was just a trend but the "Ivy League/JFK on a boat" thing seems more like a reclaiming of American style. Not much out of any of these looks will be unwearable when everone stops blogging about them...

CaymanS

Reaction score
Men's suiting "trends" move at a glacial pace, mainly because people spend too much money on suits to give them up at the first whiff of a narrower (or wider) lapel, etc. As I think about it more, the workwear trend may very well be an example of permanent casual style, if done right. It's practical, it's simple, it flatters most body types and, if done right, it never looks forced. The fact is, even if "slicker" European looks come into fashion, there will still be people wearing Alden boots, selvedge denim, subtle plaid shirting and a Barbour/Belfast to top it off. Nothing in the aforementioned look would be inappropriate in really any era - it's just that people get antsy are constantly looking for the new "thing." I'm just saying that people who stick to the old thing won't exactly look out of place.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
Men's suiting "trends" move at a glacial pace, mainly because people spend too much money on suits to give them up at the first whiff of a narrower (or wider) lapel, etc. As I think about it more, the workwear trend may very well be an example of permanent casual style, if done right. It's practical, it's simple, it flatters most body types and, if done right, it never looks forced. The fact is, even if "slicker" European looks come into fashion, there will still be people wearing Alden boots, selvedge denim, subtle plaid shirting and a Barbour/Belfast to top it off. Nothing in the aforementioned look would be inappropriate in really any era - it's just that people get antsy are constantly looking for the new "thing." I'm just saying that people who stick to the old thing won't exactly look out of place.

I agree only instead of for workwear, I say the same of a fitted polo and slim khakis. A pair of sperrys or quoddies. An oxford button down shirt with a sweater or fleece. A navy blazer and chinos.

Rayson

Reaction score
http://www.businessoffashion.com/201...-menswear.html

Menswear will be "darker", "European", "well-tailored", "tailored", "black-on-black", "a blackout", "pitch black", "tailored", "razor-sharp", "angular", "edgier", "European", "sinister", "darker", "tailored", "European", "sleeker", "European". "Darker." Surely that's simple and repetitive yet meaningless enough to persuade fashion fans out of their old boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads