• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Grey 3 Piece Suit

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a light grey 3 piece suit for a friend’s wedding (groomsmen attire).

I have only ever worn suits for weddings, interviews, and funerals, so unfortunately I don’t get much use out of them on a daily basis. I like two of the three suits I own, and they are Tommy Hilfiger trim fit such as this one, except I own other colors. They are typically $225 to $250 on sale at Macy's or on Gilt. If this was a 3 piece suit, I would probably buy it because they fit me very well. I understand that this suit is likely not forum approved, but my money is better spent for my professional and personal life on dress pants, dress shirts, shoes, and so on.

I'm much more knowledgable about pants, shirts, and shoes, and could use some advice on suits to consider. I'm willing to spend around $400, considering the additional cost of the vest. I may be willing to go up to $500, if it seems I can get much more for my money at that price. The fact that it's 3 piece makes it somewhat hard to find off the rack, I've found. Here are some options I've come up with:

• I like the ability to customize (see the "advanced options") this Indochino suit at $419, possibly cheaper if I can find a coupon code.
  • Buy the Tommy Hilfiger suit and then get a vest made to match. I have no idea how feasible or costly this is.
  • I don't know much about Thick as Thieves, and it seems they start around $500.
Here are some preferences in case they affect your input:

• Fabric: Since the wedding will be during the summer, my friend suggested cotton as a cooler fabric, but I assume wool is a more universal choice. Also, won't cotton wrinkle? Please advise.
  • Jacket: 2 buttons, side vents, notch lapel
  • Vest: I know very little about them, except that I don't want lapels.
  • Pants: flat front, uncuffed
Thank you for your help.

Matt S

Reaction score
Get a wool suit. Tropical wool will be better all around than cotton, plus cotton doesn't look right in shades of grey. Wool will be just as comfortable in the hot weather if it is the right kind of wool. More important is having a half or quarter lining, but at your price range that probably isn't an option. The suit needs to come as a 3-piece, a waistcoat can't be added later. Your suit coat idea sounds good, the waistcoat should have either 5 or 6 buttons, but if it has 6 buttons make sure the buttons are spaced fairly close together so they aren't too high on the chest. Flat front trousers are fine, but I'd recommend cuffs because since you'll be getting a lightweight suit the cuff will help keep the trousers looking neater.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Get a wool suit. Tropical wool will be better all around than cotton, plus cotton doesn't look right in shades of grey. Wool will be just as comfortable in the hot weather if it is the right kind of wool. More important is having a half or quarter lining, but at your price range that probably isn't an option. The suit needs to come as a 3-piece, a waistcoat can't be added later. Your suit coat idea sounds good, the waistcoat should have either 5 or 6 buttons, but if it has 6 buttons make sure the buttons are spaced fairly close together so they aren't too high on the chest. Flat front trousers are fine, but I'd recommend cuffs because since you'll be getting a lightweight suit the cuff will help keep the trousers looking neater.

Thanks for your advice.

I guess I can look this up, but is tropical wool thinner than normal wool, and is half or quarter lining thinner than typical lining?

Noted on the waistcoat. I figured trying to buy it separately wasn't a great idea.

I'm not sure I'm sold on cuffs, although I understand your reasoning.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
Tropical weight wools are usually like roughly 7 oz/yard give or take some not really sure what you mean by thinner.

I suppose I meant there is less fabric per area.

Originally Posted by CYstyle
A quarter lining or half lining again not sure what you mean by thinner, but is a jacket thats is not fully lined.

this pic i took from a B/s thread is fully lined

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/...F/DSCN1705.jpg

this is a half lined jacket

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n-lCcZxYYQ...ned-jacket.jpg

quarter lined

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Wbd-uMYmb_...ter+lining.JPG

I wasn't sure if the amount of coverage is the same, and the lining itself has less fabric per area, or (apparently the correct answer) if there is simply less coverage. If I choose to go the Indochino route, could I just request a quarter or half lined jacket? Would that significantly affect warm weather friendliness?

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Absolute rags, both.

Thank you very much GBR for your thoughtful critique. Your analysis carefully considers the differences between the two listed suits, and among other suits in the given price range, arming me with a level of insight that can only come from a Senior Member such as yourself. I'm forever grateful for your input, and can only hope that your 1,945 other posts have not gone underappreciated.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Papa Doble
I wasn't sure if the amount of coverage is the same, and the lining itself has less fabric per area, or (apparently the correct answer) if there is simply less coverage. If I choose to go the Indochino route, could I just request a quarter or half lined jacket? Would that significantly affect warm weather friendliness?

The lining refers to the lining inside the jacket. The less "polyester-like" lining in between you and the air the cooler. No matter the lining, you want less of it if you want to stay cool.

Full lining is what is found in most everything. Quarter lining is the most difficult to achieve. There is only lining where there needs to be. Oxxford is the best example of this you can readily find. The lining only exists in the upper most shoulder area, a small triangle down by the center vent, and lining so you can have pockets. And lining in the arms. Half lining is just in between full and 1/4, not sure what the practical difference is, although I surmise it is cheaper and easier to do half lining, but not as easy as full.

Will indochino do it? I doubt it, its very labor intensive. But you can ask.

Just rent a suit is my opinion. Its not your wedding, your not supposed to outshine the groom anyway.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
9b472d80.jpg

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
The lining refers to the lining inside the jacket. The less "polyester-like" lining in between you and the air the cooler. No matter the lining, you want less of it if you want to stay cool.

I wasn't confused about what lining was, but I'd never heard of half or quarter lining.

Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Just rent a suit is my opinion. Its not your wedding, your not supposed to outshine the groom anyway.

Renting is an option, but I'd rather spend the extra money to own it. I agree that whatever I do should not draw attention to myself (see below).

Originally Posted by SpooPoker

Looks great SpooPoker. Details? I dig the ticket pocket and peak lapels -- I'm on the fence with peak vs. notch myself. As a groomsman, perhaps notch is more appropriate so as not to draw too much attention. I could probably get away with a ticket pocket.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely go with notch. Something like this is tough to beat which I actually just also posted in the "In praise of gray" thread.

Bond_Goldfingersuit.png

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like you are not all that much into wearing suits...you mentioned you only wear them when you really have to. So I guess it is fair to assume that whatever you buy will pretty much be worn at that the wedding and hardly thereafter? With this in mind I would not worry about "perfect wool weight" and "quarter lining", but rather go with the cheapest option.

The Indochino suit is within you price range and meets the all-groomsmen-must-look-the-same requirements (light grey, three piece,...). Go with this unless you find a better deal and spend the remaining money on something you like. The indochino suit is not a great product by the standards of most SF members...but people here including myself are tailored clothing fanatics and use criteria which don't make sense for a suit worn effectively only once.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
Seems like you are not all that much into wearing suits...you mentioned you only wear them when you really have to. So I guess it is fair to assume that whatever you buy will pretty much be worn at that the wedding and hardly thereafter? With this in mind I would not worry about "perfect wool weight" and "quarter lining", but rather go with the cheapest option.

I actually enjoy wearing suits, but the opportunity doesn't often present itself (I would stand out in a bad way in my job, for example). Light grey is perhaps not as useful as navy (have one) or charcoal (don't have one), but it's certainly a classic suit, and one that I hope I'll be able to wear a bit over the years, perhaps for other summer or daytime weddings.

Originally Posted by AlexE
The Indochino suit is within you price range and meets the all-groomsmen-must-look-the-same requirements (light grey, three piece,...). Go with this unless you find a better deal and spend the remaining money on something you like. The indochino suit is not a great product by the standards of most SF members...but people here including myself are tailored clothing fanatics and use criteria which don't make sense for a suit worn effectively only once.

I recently obtained a $100 off Indochino coupon, so their 3 piece light grey suit for ($419 - $100 =) $319 seems like a reasonable deal. The groom wants us to wear walnut shoes, preferably with some broguing (he has wingtips in mind). I've been eying AE McAllisters, which the remaining money would help out with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads