• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gold

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
After expressing interest in mechanical watches, my grandpa hands me a good condition self-winding watch (he's like that). The only problem is that it's gold. I have little to no idea when or where it is appropriate to wear gold. Should it be saved for only formal occasions? I have a hard time picturing what gold looks good with except black. Also, I would have to buy a gold-buckled belt, right?

I was thinking about getting a black leather band for it. Are there any exceptional makes out there?
thanks
Ken

pstoller

Reaction score
Some people are fixated on matching the metal in all their accessories, but I think that's overkill. You can wear a gold watch with anything. The metal on your belt buckle, your loafers, your eyeglass frames"”whatever"”does not have to match your watch. The watch doesn't even have to match your cufflinks or a ring worn on your left hand, and those are the only metal items likely to be close enough for anyone to notice the contrast. As for other clothing items, gold goes just fine with any color. You don't have to wear black.

You may want to save your "good" watch for dressy occasions, but they needn't be formal. A nice date is reason enough to wear it. If your work requires you to wear a suit every day, there's no reason you can't wear a nice watch daily, as well. (Of course, we don't know the make/model of the watch; this could impact your choice of how often and under which circumstances you wear it.) No, you don't want to play tennis or go swimming with the watch on, but you don't have to wait for a wedding or a funeral to wear it, either.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I respect Stoller's opinions on this forum greatly, and have picked up some good advice in reading them, but I differ with him on this count. I think matching accessories is one of those nice, final touches that puts you over the top. Success in anything is about details. Curt Schilling stays up late the night before he pitches running pitch scenarios vs. the next day's opponent through his computer.
For me, it's the little things that finish the outfit: Matching accessories, the belt in the third hole, the shined shoes.

Automatic

Reaction score
I have to agree with Stu on this one. I probably would buy gold-buckle belt, and nice leather strap too. ( Why not to splurge, especially since the watch itself was free). What make/model is this watch though?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with pstoller in this instance. I feel that matching all the elements of an outfit is overly fussy and that a bit of deshabille is in fact advisable. There is a reason that, say, Brad Pitt in Fight Club and Ocean's Eleven and George Clooney in the latter are held up as stylish, while Frasier and Niles Crane almost never are.

Dressing well is like music. Pure tones are not particularly interesting to listen to. So in a way, I also agree with Stu that details are important. I think that sometimes a slightly off-key element is exactly what is needed to top off a well considered outfit. And a heirloom watch worn without consideration for the rest of the ensemble certainly does so.

pstoller

Reaction score
I love LA Guy's music analogy"”well put. To apply that thinking to Stu's Curt Schilling analogy, remember that pitchers don't get to be great simply by putting everything right over the plate.

On the other hand, let me be clear that I'm not advocating complete thoughtlessness in accessorizing. If your Gucci loafers have a brass bit, a brass belt buckle is probably a good idea. I'm just saying that well-matched accessories need not be monochromatic...and this is so even if you're not shooting for that perfect "off-key" element. The matching tie and handkerchief are considered passÃ
00a9.png
for a reason. Like wearing one designer head-to-toe, it shows an utter lack of imagination and personal style.

This is particularly true of fine jewelry. The idea that, say, a yellow gold wedding ring would preclude you from ever wearing white metals is ludicrous. A fine watch comes close to the ring in transcending the need for color coordination. I'd be more concerned about matching a cheap watch, so it doesn't call undue attention to itself.

Ken should probably go ahead and get a belt with a gold buckle, anyway, just because it's a good idea to have at least one. As long as he has it, there's no reason not to wear it with the watch. But he needn't be locked into that combination if one of his silver-buckled belts coordinates better with the rest of an outfit.

By the way, speaking of restricting colors...a matching metal band is probably more versatile than a black leather one. Think about wearing the watch with brown belt and shoes. (Personally, I've sidestepped this issue with a deep sage green alligator band"”it matches nothing exactly, but coordinates with everything.)

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Thanks much for all the input, fellas.
To answer Automatic's question, the watch is a 1950's Lord Elgin. Not terribly known for value, but particularly fitting because I grew up near Elgin, Illinois, where the watch was manufactured.

pstoller

Reaction score
the watch is a 1950's Lord Elgin. Not terribly known for value, but particularly fitting because I grew up near Elgin, Illinois, where the watch was manufactured.
I'm very fond of Elgin watches...and I'm not even from Illinois.
smile.gif
I have a '30s deco Elgin white gold step-cased tank watch I wear sometimes, usually evenings. The great thing about a vintage watch like that is it dresses up or down very nicely, from jeans to tux. Enjoy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads