• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wine Glasses

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Those who are engineers do.
eh.gif
I also prefer the feel to a bulbous rolled edge.

~ H

Add me to the list as well.

Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
If you don't require four reds and four whites (such as with the Reidel Target set), you can buy glasses individually at World Market for ~$10 each. Completely adequate.

This is SF. When is anything ever adequate?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on purchasing a set of four each of the Vinum sauvignon blanc and burgundy glasses, because the most common white and red wines I drink are sauvignon blanc and pinot noir, respectively. Am I correct to assume that I would do no great offense to a cabernet sauvignon to consume it from a burgundy glass, or to a chardonnay from a sauvignon blanc glass? Thanks, H_S.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
I'm planning on purchasing a set of four each of the Vinum sauvignon blanc and burgundy glasses, because the most common white and red wines I drink are sauvignon blanc and pinot noir, respectively. Am I correct to assume that I would do no great offense to a cabernet sauvignon to consume it from a burgundy glass, or to a chardonnay from a sauvignon blanc glass? Thanks, H_S.

No great offense. I've consumed out of the more specialized ones before, and have even sat at the same table with someone not drinking out of the "correct" glass, and traded them glasses and then we each tried each other's. While the difference is certainly there, and you can tell, it is not hugely noticeable. A good wine will still taste good. And a good cab sauv is going to taste good in a burgundy glass. You just might not be able to taste every little nuance in the wine. But it shouldn't make any drastic changes in your enjoyment.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student

We do the same for groups any larger than four. Different glasses, because we drink different wines, but same concept. FWIW, somebody, I think Matt Kramer, did some tests on the glasses, and I believe the Syrah glass was the one which was most compatible with all reds. Don't remember for whites.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
No great offense. I've consumed out of the more specialized ones before, and have even sat at the same table with someone not drinking out of the "correct" glass, and traded them glasses and then we each tried each other's. While the difference is certainly there, and you can tell, it is not hugely noticeable. A good wine will still taste good. And a good cab sauv is going to taste good in a burgundy glass. You just might not be able to taste every little nuance in the wine. But it shouldn't make any drastic changes in your enjoyment.

I agree. Also, most of the time when we drink, we are not seriously tasting, so it ends up mattering even less than it seems like it would when we test these things out. Clean glasses without soap deposits and in vaguely the right shape is as much as you have any right to expect IMO.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought Spiegelau Authentis 6 white and 6 Cab glasses, and haven't had to buy any more. I could foresee wanting some big bordeauxs but I'm not there yet. If you are a really avid drinker who enjoys expensive wines, I can see where starting with Riedel would be worth the expense, especially in comparison to the cost of the wine. Otherwise, just enjoy.

Also, the more you enjoy wine with friends at your home, the more you should be prepared that the glasses will be broken. If you can't stand that your buddy drops a $150 glass into the sink, buy something cheaper. Because it will happen

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A while back I picked up a 24 pack of Spieglau Vino Grande. It has 6 each of the Bordeaux, Burgundy, white wine and champagne flutes. At Beverage Factory, they have this pack for $180, which gets it down to $7.50 per stem.

They are machine washable and cover about every need I have for wine glasses. Really like them and how durable they are. If I break one (I haven't yet) I won't feel too bad about it. I recommend.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That's a great deal, Mark. If I had room for more stems, I'd grab it.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pretty good basics-- at the price, very good.

I'm stocking a summer house and thinking about getting a set of basic reds and whites from one of the Tritan lines. Something rather appeals about having a less breakable (and less scuff-able) glass, and there are several of that brand that aren't too expensive.

chrisjr

Reaction score
Hi Gents,
Didn't think this warrented a new thread. Saw this on the WSJ house of the day and it gave me an idea for my folks' new house - to have some glasses, mugs, tissue boxes, & towels made with the house number embellished as a housewarming gift.
Any recommendations on where to kop on the webz? Not a big fan of those plastic cups as we mainly use glass.
Thanks!

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^kinda kitschy imo

just get them nice wine glasses

dude that article you posted is about the house of a lady from real houswives of nyc

Last edited:

chrisjr

Reaction score

dude that article you posted is about the house of a lady from real houswives of nyc

don't judge brah, thought they'd be a neat personlized touch. Dad is a total wine-o & already has a pretty extensive selection of wine glasses.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy only antique or depression era, etched stemware. I consider modern stemware of poor quality and form. I highly recommend to anyone looking for good stemware to look into 19 century wine or champagne glasses and train your taste a little.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We'd love some photos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads