1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wine Glasses

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SkinnyGoomba, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

As gomestar mentioned, Riedel makes a range of glassware. I have been happy with the Vinum line.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

HORNS, your avatar is crappy.

3. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

You can get great glasses for less than $20/glass. If money is no object than Riedel can be had for around $25/glass, but personally I would go with Spiegelau for reasons mentioned in this thread.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

HORNS, your avatar is crappy.

Sheesh . . . relax! It was the only one I had available and I wasn't planning on having it up for long. It is juvenile, of course, but that's how I was feeling at the time.

5. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

This is rather my way of doing things. #1 rule of wine glasses is, they get broken. The more you use them, the more likely you are to break them. Taking them outside, the more likely they are to get broken. So you have different glasses for different occasions.

Sage advice. Don't buy anything you couldn't bear to break. We have nice glassware for daily use and dinner parties and a few dozen cheap glasses from Ikea for other occasions.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

one of the biggest things affecting the price is hand-blown vs. machine. The $125/glass Riedels are all hand-blown with super thin walls. Truly a sensational product for those so inclined. The $20 Riedels will have slightly thicker walls and will be machine made. I'd much rather have the cheaper ones regardless of how much money I have to spend. In any case, neither glass will make a poor Cali Cab any better.

Sage advice. Don't buy anything you couldn't bear to break. We have nice glassware for daily use and dinner parties and a few dozen cheap glasses from Ikea for other occasions.

Years ago, as in around 15 or so and well before I developed a taste for fine wine, I was with a friend at his (much) older brother's place, and the brother was treating us to some good wine. He had expensive glasses and my friend managed to break one. His sister-in-law was bent out of shape the entire rest of the evening. It stuck with me and I decided I would never serve guests out of glasses so expensive that I might get upset if they broke one.

You guys get this and hence why I'll never have a glass I use "exclusively." Sometimes, you just want to break out the $5 stuff from a World Market or Ikea.

7. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I am a small-timer. We use $1 glasses from the Dollar Store. They're pretty chunky but the shape is classic and I could give two shits when they are broken, which they often are.

For nicer occasions I have never had a problem with the diVino by Rosenthal glasses you can find by the box at places like Filene's Basement and TJ Maxx @ under $5 a glass. Thin walls, nice enough for my wine, which rarely exceeds $20/bottle, and usually is more like $10.

8. Dburr

Dburr Senior member

one of the biggest things affecting the price is hand-blown vs. machine. The $125/glass Riedels are all hand-blown with super thin walls. Truly a sensational product for those so inclined. The $20 Riedels will have slightly thicker walls and will be machine made. I'd much rather have the cheaper ones regardless of how much money I have to spend. In any case, neither glass will make a poor Cali Cab any better.
    True - but good quality glassware can make a good California Cab inch toward greatness. Anyone who doesn't know the value of a proper glass hasn't yet learned to maximize the wine experience.

9. ama

ama Senior member

True - but good quality glassware can make a good California Cab inch toward greatness. Anyone who doesn't know the value of a proper glass hasn't yet learned to maximize the wine experience.

[​IMG]

10. Montrachet

Montrachet Senior member

Spiegelau makes wonderful glasses. I also have the Reidel Vinums at home and would certainly recommend them. The only thing I'm not too enthusiastic about with those is how small the water glass is. I like a big bowl of a water glass. I get thirsty!

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i started out with riedels and the first dinner broke three of them ... one from a guest overenthusiastically toasting and two the next morning cleaning up (if they're in a sink full of water, lift very carefully from the bowl, not the stem). I use those now with what i hope will be great wines. though, come to think of it, haven't used them in a couple of years . may say something about my drinking.
    they have been replaced by spiegelau from Amazon. they used to run occasional specials basically buy one get one free. Astonishing value at that price (and still a good value at the regular). they are very elegant glasses but don't have the instant shatterability of riedel.
    that said, i haven't tried the target riedel. picked them up, but they didn't seem as finely made. of course, given the price ...

12. 660

660 Well-Known Member

I use these: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=472180

Love them, haven't even manged to break one yet!

Can second Schott Zwiesel glasses in tritan crystal they are perfect for parties and other occasions when glasses are prone to break.

I have 48 of these glasses and no breakages so far, I've tipped one over on a marble counter, dropped a couple in to the sink when washing, things that would definitely break all other wine glasses. Had them out on barbecues etc. etc.

I am very happy with the performance but will probably get a few mouth blown Riedel glasses for those very special occasions/bottles à deux though.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. I have a set of glasses for parties, so no worries there. These will be special occasion glasses, I'll post up pics of what I end up with.

Thanks again, this site is impressive with the wealth of knowledge about what I would consider details.

14. jenlain

jenlain Senior member

Schott Zwiesel 26 oz. Claret goblets. Can be had at Wasserstrom (sp?) online for about half the price of other outlets (less than $10/ea). The large size is pretty striking and they are fairly durable.

15. superego

superego Senior member

Make life easy and just get some Reidel Vinum stemwear. A while back I got four of them for under $100, so it should suit your needs mightily.

16. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

I am surprised by all the reports of breakage. I have had, for years, Riedel Vinum and had only one glass broken -- and that by a guest. I suppose I'm simply more mindful about my glasswear, and my guests are the same.

I'd second the Schott Zwiesel Titanium series if this is a concern -- I've heard very good reports about these glasses.

My approach to glassware is a bit different now than it was when I purchased some of my glasses. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get:

- A set of Schott Zwiesel for guests / parties
    - A pair each of higher end Reidel glasses for specific wine tastings (for my own use for anything other than "everyday" wines)
    - Two sets of 6 stemless glasses (Cabernet and Burgundy / Pinot) because stemless are perfect for outdoor and BBQ and moving around a lot. None for white -- this defeats the purpose of keeping the wine cool.

17. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Do you put styrofoam cups under your audio cables too?

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My approach to glassware is a bit different now than it was when I purchased some of my glasses. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get:

- A set of Schott Zwiesel for guests / parties
    - A pair each of higher end Reidel glasses for specific wine tastings (for my own use for anything other than "everyday" wines)
    - Two sets of 6 stemless glasses (Cabernet and Burgundy / Pinot) because stemless are perfect for outdoor and BBQ and moving around a lot. None for white -- this defeats the purpose of keeping the wine cool.

Excellent strategy. I've heard people here refer with contempt to the stemless, but we have two each of Reidel's Burgundy and Bordeaux, and as you surmised, they are very stable and excellent for outdoor/patio/poolside use.

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I've heard people here refer with contempt to the stemless, but we have two each of Reidel's Burgundy and Bordeaux, and as you surmised, they are very stable and excellent for outdoor/patio/poolside use.

I have some Spiegelau stemless burgundy glasses and I like them a lot. They seem much less likely to be whacked and tipped by the hand and voice of an Italian person.

20. GonD

GonD Well-Known Member

Iittala's Essence is IMO one of the best looking glass-serie there is. I also haven't broke any of mine, and have washed them mainly in dishwasher.
    [​IMG]