• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncomfortable Truths

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Knoll is the Frank Llyod Wright of furniture design. Not a compliment.

Nearly every sofa that I like is reminiscent of the Florence Knoll. It's a pretty basic form--i.e. hard not to copy in some way without adding artifice.

You all dress alike, develop a ******* personal style for ****'s sake

But don't you dress like a counter-culture cliche?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
To whomever is reading this post: I am better looking and better dressed than you.

Tough to take, but such is life.

My hair didn't migrate to my chest to protest my pink-glasses wearing ways, *****.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Knoll is the Frank Llyod Wright of furniture design. Not a compliment.

You all dress alike, develop a ******* personal style for ****'s sake

I don't really have a knoll sofa, it was a joke.

Gherkins

Reaction score
Clothes, shoes et al are highly overrated. There are lots of more important things in life.
Furthermore: "style" isn't a way of dressing, but a state of mind. One that you have to define for yourself, to make things even more complicated. Reading Platon or Kant would probably help.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Nearly every sofa that I like is reminiscent of the Florence Knoll. It's a pretty basic form--i.e. hard not to copy in some way without adding artifice.

But don't you dress like a counter-culture cliche?

Not even remotely... Fancy shoes, DJs, silk jackets, wow. Pretty countercultural here. However as I have sometimes pointed out there's a bunch of guys that dress pretty similar to me, including some friends. We look like kids playing cops&robbers under the stairs when hanging out together, pretty lame. Some simplify and say "look at those **** with the tight jeans!!"

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
on that note, designer Rick Owens had a great statement recently in an interview where he said most would be better off spending $ on a gym membership and getting in shape rather than buying expensive clothes. That "being fit" was the new "couture"

Dude goes running near the Louvres everyday (wearing his stuff, quite a sight), he's FIT. He looks like an queer Iggy pop though...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not even remotely... Fancy shoes, DJs, silk jackets, wow. Pretty countercultural here. However as I have sometimes pointed out there's a bunch of guys that dress pretty similar to me, including some friends. We look like kids playing cops&robbers under the stairs when hanging out together, pretty lame. Some simplify and say "look at those **** with the tight jeans!!"

And don't forget: all black. Perhaps 'wealth-entrenched counter-establishment cliche' would have been more accurate
smile.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gherkins
Clothes, shoes et al are highly overrated. There are lots of more important things in life.
Furthermore: "style" isn't a way of dressing, but a state of mind. One that you have to define for yourself, to make things even more complicated. Reading Platon or Kant would probably help.

right, i'm sure you're average goofball in a pair of KC shoes and a baggy black sack suit has tons of style.

Personality....maybe, style....Not so much.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dude goes running near the Louvres everyday (wearing his stuff, quite a sight), he's FIT. He looks like an queer Iggy pop though...

Okay, rick owens vs. galliano in a cage match of **** Couturiers Fight to teh Death. Who wins?

Imperator

Reaction score
Christ. What's making me uncomfortable is how seriously everyone is taking themselves. Also, saying "style isn't everything" isn't profound, and it's inapplicable to 95% of the posters here. This site is a ******* diversion--chill out.

Finally, the personal attacks on specific posters are pretty gratuitous.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imperator
Finally, the personal attacks on specific posters are pretty gratuitous.

Except those on RJman. Carry on.
fistbump.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nothing is more comfortable than a well worn 10 yr old tshirt

that this thread will eventually lead into a daisychain

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

piratebay.jpg

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Heres one -

- Beyond feeding ourselves, keeping us warm or cool (warm clothing and a hut or a nice shade wearing nothing), and procreating.... nothing else really matters. This site is like a companion for comentary on the clothing part which is essential. Civilization has moved passed the basics so style becomes a means of expression. However, I feel it becomes a problem when people take it SOOO seriously that it throws the balance off everything else. If you actually have to decide whether you need that 40th pair of EG's or paying that heating bill or this week's dinner, that's a problem. If you have a gorgeous bentley but an empty studio basement, the priorities need to be checked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads