1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Uncomfortable Truths

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by robin, Apr 23, 2009.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I take solace in my comfortable furniture.
    Knoll....?

2. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

Kroll?

Krull.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Krull.
    Oh, hell yeah. [​IMG]

4. SkinnyGoomba

Krull.
    oh, i see what you did there....good stuff.

5. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

These are a few personal ones of mine:

- Wearing an ascot in this day and age will probably make you look like a dick.

- You might think that walking out in public in a bowler and bow tie looks stylish. Most people will think you look eccentric. Or crazy.

- You're very likely over dressed.

- Pocket watches are nice, old fashioned keepsakes best kept in a drawer or on top of the mantel. Not hanging out of your pocket like a fop.

- Having pride in your appearance is admirable. Being fastidious in your appearance is not.

- The brand names you're wearing probably mean fuck all to most people.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Since we're talking about uncomfortable truths, you are better dressed but you're only about a 5/10. Would've been 6/10 if you weren't going bald. Sorry.

Arthur Kade? When are you updating your blog, please?

7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

These are a few personal ones of mine:

- Wearing an ascot in this day and age will probably make you look like a dick.

- You might think that walking out in public in a bowler and bow tie looks stylish. Most people will think you look eccentric. Or crazy.

- You're very likely over dressed.

- Pocket watches are nice, old fashioned keepsakes best kept in a drawer or on top of the mantel. Not hanging out of your pocket like a fop.

- Having pride in your appearance is admirable. Being fastidious in your appearance is not.

- The brand names you're wearing probably mean fuck all to most people.

This is what I mean by Ostentatious Costumism.

8. binge

binge Senior member

Real men buy $100 rick owens tube socks.

It's the only brand I trust for stuffing my shorts.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

you have a Napoleon complex, are gauche caviar, are a pseudointellectual, vain, pathologically insecure, narcissistic, and probably secretly ghey too.

I have a Knoll sofa as well. So suck it.

Knoll is the Frank Llyod Wright of furniture design. Not a compliment.

You all dress alike, develop a fucking personal style for fuck's sake

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

If this is true, all it means is that everyone else is dressing like me, in which case, they need to change.

Though not for my sake, I like having imitators.

11. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nearly every sofa that I like is reminiscent of the Florence Knoll. It's a pretty basic form--i.e. hard not to copy in some way without adding artifice.

But don't you dress like a counter-culture cliche?

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

To whomever is reading this post: I am better looking and better dressed than you.

Tough to take, but such is life.

My hair didn't migrate to my chest to protest my pink-glasses wearing ways, fatty.

13. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

I don't really have a knoll sofa, it was a joke.

14. Gherkins

Gherkins Senior member

Clothes, shoes et al are highly overrated. There are lots of more important things in life.
    Furthermore: "style" isn't a way of dressing, but a state of mind. One that you have to define for yourself, to make things even more complicated. Reading Platon or Kant would probably help.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Nearly every sofa that I like is reminiscent of the Florence Knoll. It's a pretty basic form--i.e. hard not to copy in some way without adding artifice.

But don't you dress like a counter-culture cliche?

Not even remotely... Fancy shoes, DJs, silk jackets, wow. Pretty countercultural here. However as I have sometimes pointed out there's a bunch of guys that dress pretty similar to me, including some friends. We look like kids playing cops&robbers under the stairs when hanging out together, pretty lame. Some simplify and say "look at those fags with the tight jeans!!"

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

on that note, designer Rick Owens had a great statement recently in an interview where he said most would be better off spending $ on a gym membership and getting in shape rather than buying expensive clothes. That "being fit" was the new "couture"

Dude goes running near the Louvres everyday (wearing his stuff, quite a sight), he's FIT. He looks like an queer Iggy pop though...

17. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not even remotely... Fancy shoes, DJs, silk jackets, wow. Pretty countercultural here. However as I have sometimes pointed out there's a bunch of guys that dress pretty similar to me, including some friends. We look like kids playing cops&robbers under the stairs when hanging out together, pretty lame. Some simplify and say "look at those fags with the tight jeans!!"

And don't forget: all black. Perhaps 'wealth-entrenched counter-establishment cliche' would have been more accurate [​IMG].

18. SkinnyGoomba

Clothes, shoes et al are highly overrated. There are lots of more important things in life.
    Furthermore: "style" isn't a way of dressing, but a state of mind. One that you have to define for yourself, to make things even more complicated. Reading Platon or Kant would probably help.

right, i'm sure you're average goofball in a pair of KC shoes and a baggy black sack suit has tons of style.

Personality....maybe, style....Not so much.

19. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dude goes running near the Louvres everyday (wearing his stuff, quite a sight), he's FIT. He looks like an queer Iggy pop though...

Okay, rick owens vs. galliano in a cage match of Ghey Couturiers Fight to teh Death. Who wins?

20. XenoXwarriorprincess

XenoXwarriorprincess Well-Known Member

And don't forget: all black. Perhaps 'wealth-entrenched counter-establishment cliche' would have been more accurate [​IMG].

That's pretty goddamn rich, considering the source.