• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nice shoes for under $150?

Mathew J

Reaction score
Do they exist and if so where should I be looking?

I had a pair of brown florsheim brett's where the sole seperated from the top and want to get something that will last more than a year with moderate use.

Thanks

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any dress shoe that retails at that price point is probably better considered disposable. I'd consider upping your budget a little and buying welted shoes on sale--if you were in New York this week, for example, you could get a black captoe oxford made in England at Brooks Brothers for $199 + tax. At that price level, say $150-$250, and with patience, you should be able to get good shoes that will last for years.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can often by Allen Edmonds on-line (there is an AE site on Ebay) for deep discounts. The caveat is that you need to know your exact size. And of course you have to like the shoes.

Lots of folks here buy from Grapevinehill on ebay. You might also find some Cole Haan shoes on sale online.

To help whatever shoes you buy last longer, use shoe trees, polish, and leather conditioner. A good shine will make any shoes look far better.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Umm B&S is all I can think of for that cheap.

There's eBay, but you have no idea how they take care of their shoes. SFers even put their slippers in shoe trees.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you are in Boston, you can take a look at the Ferragamo outlet in Wrentham, but you are still going to be below their price range unless you get very lucky. Hit the clearance rack at the Chestnut Hill's Bloomingdale's. They are currently having a big sale ($25 OFF $100 spent, $50 off of $250) and you may get lucky, stuff is 50% off of the lowest price, they are often pretty well stocked with Paraboot, AE, Too Boot, and sometimes a random A. Testoni/etc., on that rack.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Thanks all, so I am not really looking for a dress shoe as my workplace is business casual, but rather a shoe that is reasonably well made and will hopefully last more than a year if possible...didnt know if there were any other suggestions? thanks

sjg22

Reaction score
At that price range, it'll have to be more of a "stumble across a deal" scenario. You likely won't be able to purposefully go out to bring a pair of nice shoes home that day at that price. If you're cheap (like me), you always have to have an eye open for things and be ready to pounce when you see them.

My suggestions would be to have a look at the B&S, Nordstrom Rack, Saks' "Off 5th" (or, if you're in Canada, Holt Renfrew Last Call). You can also check out www.herringshoes.co.uk and see if you can pick up some factory seconds or sale shoes (particularly from their house brand). You'll probably be slightly over your $150, but that might just have to be the way it is.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of AEs on Amazon for $180 maybe 6-8 weeks ago. It's a little higher than you're talking, but not by much, and you're getting a pretty good pair of shoes.

I don't know if they have any deals like that right now, but if you're patient it may pay off.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Do you all have DSW up there? If so, give them a try. You'll most likely have to ignore 95% of the shoes in the store but there will be a few worth having that will hit at or below your price point for a day-to-day business casual environment.

hth2002

Reaction score
If you want shoes to last more than a year, you will need 3 pairs of shoes to rotate every 3rd day. Then, put them in shoe toes. For casual shoes for about $150, you can check the Endless 45% off sale for Allen Edmonds. Endless.com is owned by Amazon.com, a reputable company. The selection is limited, though. The Pomona might be a good choice as a business casual loafer. Just filter the selection by "Sale and Clearance" and sort from low to high price. http://www.endless.com/Allen-Edmonds...llen%20Edmonds If you have a Bank of America card, you can go to www.bankofamerica.com and use the Add It Up Program(cash back), to get an additional 9% off. If you don't have a BOA card, you can go through fatwallet cash-back link to get an additional 6% cash back on your purchase. http://www.fatwallet.com/cash-back/Endless/ You could also try Grapevine Hill as mentioned by philosophe. http://stores.grapevinehill.com/Allen-Edmonds/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads