• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to keep my shirt collars straight and stiff?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Title says it all. I have some nice dress shirts that I've recently acquired. I wash them in a cold-to-warm gentle cycle in the machine and tumble dry low. I'm worried that the collars will lose their shape and stiffness after a few cycles. Should I be washing my shirts like this? How do I iron the collar? Does ironing the collar alone keep it stiff, or do I need to get it starched and get collar stays? I'm completely clueless.

arrrrffff

Reaction score
No matter how great the quality of that collar, it will start to curl after subsequent washes. As to when... well I've had shirts that fell apart after a few washings and many that have withstood aa year of wearing and washing.

Hang them on a good hanger that will not distort the shape (ie. too much tension) and use collar stays. If you feel the collor points you should feel stays in place, either sewn in or tabbed in, which you can remove or place new ones in. I don't reccomend starching as that will make your shirt age.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You should not be drying your shirts (at least not all the way) in the dryer. Take them out of the washer or dryer while they are still damp, smoothe them out and put them on plastic or sealed wood hangers (that will not bleed stain into them etc.) You can let them dry completely this way, or let them dry part way then iron them from damp. Do a search about ironing shirts, that will explain the laundry workflow a bit better.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heat is harsh on their fabric.

Also, you may shrink them.

Also: Always remember to remove the collar stays before washing, drying, and ironing. It's amazing how many guys you see wearing shirts that have been ruined by forgetting to do this.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
You should not be drying your shirts (at least not all the way) in the dryer. Take them out of the washer or dryer while they are still damp, smoothe them out and put them on plastic or sealed wood hangers (that will not bleed stain into them etc.) You can let them dry completely this way, or let them dry part way then iron them from damp. Do a search about ironing shirts, that will explain the laundry workflow a bit better.
I do not put my dress shirts in the dryer, either. They hang dry.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Did the search...can't quite understand how to iron the collar, though (flip it up? Iron from the inside of the shirt or the outside?). I have a RL Made-in-Italy shirt with a soft collar that is now wrinkled, so it wasn't exactly a cheap shirt. Ditto an Etro shirt that I washed for the first time. Thankfully my two more formal shirts (Brioni) have retained most of their collar shape/stiffness.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A certain Mr. Kabbaz
alien.gif
had put together a guide on laundering and ironing shirts here.

Ark18

Reaction score
As it's been pointed out, definitely use collar stays (high quality plastic or metal), and for the love of God, don't iron with collar stays still in your collar! Lol

I've used unscented hairspray for my blue navy uniform before... would work the same as starch (though not sure about using it on white shirts)

There are also neat products I've come across that help a lot:
- Slick Collar (https://luxeavant.com). They are basically adjustable shirt collar supports that you can wear with both dress shirts and polos. I've actually tried them and they work really well, especially when combined with collar stays.
- Million Dollar Collar (https://milliondollarcollar.com/). Cool invention to keep your plackets straight which also helps with keeping the shirt collar stand up straight as well. You gotta have your tailor sew them in for you which they can easily do for you.

PRODUCT-Slick-Collar-Original-1-Main-pic.jpg

Install-Rough_700x.png

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members