• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best quality

ClassyFreddy

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post and I wanted to get everyone's opinion of where they would rank the following labels on quality and style. Also who makes them if they are not made by the label.

Armani, Hugo Boss, Attolini, Oxford, Kiton, Canali, Cerruti, Barbera, Pal Zileri, Isaia, Ralph Lauren, Brioni, Zegna, Corneliani, and Belvest. I would be interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks,
Fred

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite.

I don't think I could do a 1-X list, but will break them into levels.  And Freddy this is all subjective with personal preferences.  Also, you start with Armani and their are several levels of Armani quality.  But I will give it a go, since it is your first post and all.

Super Top Level- (Reading from your list order)
Attolini, Oxxford, Kiton

Top Level-
Sartoria(Attolini), Barbera, Pal Zileri(sartorial), Isaia, Brioni, Zegna(Napoli)

2nd Level-
Boss Baldessarini, Canali Exclusive, Cerruti (1881, not Nina), RL Purple Label, Belvest

3rd Level-
Armani Classico, Canali, Zegna, Corneliani

4th Level-
Armani Le Coll., Polo RL, Pal Zileri(Gruppo)

5th Level and below-
Armani Mani, Hugo Boss, Canali Proposta, Pal Zileri Pull, RL others, Zegna Soft.

I didn't put too much thought into it, but wanted to respond. Freddy, I think you will find that while we share our opinions freely that you may need to be more specific to get responses.  Just by typing only  "Zegna" when I believe that the differences between Napoli and Soft are great enough that I couldn't answer without pointing them out.  I of course don't want to do any work today so I am responding.  Another thing you will probably see is that there will be many who disagree with my list.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

-Andy

Armani, Hugo Boss, Attolini, Oxford, Kiton, Canali, Cerruti, Barbera, Pal Zileri, Isaia, Ralph Lauren, Brioni, Zegna, Corneliani, and Belvest.  I would be interested in hearing your opinions.

bryce330

Reaction score
Here's my take:

Top tier: Brioni, Kiton, Attolini, Zegna Napoli

Second tier: Barbera, Isaia, Boss Baldessarini, RL Purple Label

Third tier: Armani, Zegna, Canali, Corneliani, Cerutti 1881

Fourth tier: Armani Collezioni, Polo RL, Hugo Boss, Emporio Armani, Zegna Soft

Junk:  Mani, Chaps RL

I'm not really familiar with Belvest or Pal Zilieri, and I avoided ranking Oxxford b/c I despise Oxxford and my ranking probably would not be commensurate with the perceptions of others.

----------

EDIT: Freddy, I don't think HRHAndrew was being an "ass" or condescending, in fact he went out of his way to welcome you to the forum. He was merely pointing out that there are vast differences among the various levels of Armani and Zegna suits, and was doing you a favor by pointing out that it would be a big mistake to buy a Mani suit thinking you were getting a top-of-the-line Armani.

If this is how you are going to conduct yourself, might I suggest you may feel more at home in the GQ Forum.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HRHAndrew you're an ass. Why do you feel you need to be condescending and say no one will respond and try to be so big and smart with different Armani labels.  I am sure the rest of you guys aren't all jerks like this guy.

"Classy" Freddy:

The correct response here is not "you're an ass."  The correct response is, "Thank you HRH Andrew for taking the time to respond to my question."

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I do not find such conduct as being fit for this type of forum.

From what it seems Mr.Andrew was just trying to help, and you go off typing vitriolic posts. Oh, and by the way there are that many Armani lines.

HitMan009

Reaction score
I believe Classy was expecting a certain answer. HRH basically nailed it down the line. When one of the names wasn't in the top tiers, Mr. Classy couldn't accept it. Thanks HRH for the run down.
My Two Cents...

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
classy freddy; if you take one thing from this thread, it might be to look very carefully at what you are buying and understand that differences in labels are there for a reason. a hugo boss "baldessarini" is made much better than the "boss" hugo boss. likewise, pal zileri sartoriale is much better than the regular pal zileri they sell at men's wearhouse. these differences have to do with the quality of the cloth and the level of handwork that goes into construction, among other things. hrh andrew felt it necessary for you to understand these differences, and so do the rest of us, i hope. you wouldn't want to shell out $1,500 for a zegna 'soft', thinking you're getting a finely crafted zegna suit would you?
styling is a personal matter, but if you really care about quality construction, hrh's list was a very accurate one.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
UH OH. The post deleting leprechaun. Haven't seen him in a while.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Thanks for getting my back guys. I didn't think I was rude. It has been a while since I had that kind of exchange. Somewhere around 6th grade I think.
smile.gif
Too bad it started, because it would be interesting to see where other members think certain lines fit in terms of quality. -Andy

PeterMetro

Reaction score
It just proves my theory that people who use the word "classy" to describe themselves, probably aren't (with the possible exception of Jimmy Lenon Jr.).

Other words that fit this category:

"Super-intelligent"
"Deep"

Any others?

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
Sexy or "underwear model" I also find that "GQ" tends to connote someone that probably is not.
wink.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just proves my theory that people who use the word "classy" to describe themselves, probably aren't (with the possible exception of Jimmy Lenon Jr.).

Other words that fit this category:

"Super-intelligent"
"Deep"

Any others?
"Wild and crazy"
"Charming"
"Pretty" (especially when used by a woman to describe a female friend/relative/co-worker she is trying to set you up with on a date)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minadesay