• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yuketen vs Quoddy vs Oak Street bootmakers. The Ultimate Showdown

norcal_indy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
My experience was the opposite, owner of the company emailed me and Elizabeth has been superb over the phone. She did me a nice favor too.
Same. I originally spoke to Kirstin (I think) and she located some burgundy leather for my custom Maliseet order. Later, Elizabeth helped me out with a last-minute change to my order. I received the shoes a week before they were expected to ship.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite all the competition, I think quoddy still comes out on top. I've had excellent customer service and their shoes are just perfect. I like their styles and custom made options.

miran

Reaction score
You guys are treating these shoes like their Gods gift to man. I don't see what the big deal is. These are hipster shoes for Japanese wannabes. Tell me one celebrity who wears any one of these brands. They even have no name brand recognition. You guys should wear Sperrys I can't tell the difference :laugh

Pangolin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by miran
You guys are treating these shoes like their Gods gift to man. I don't see what the big deal is. These are hipster shoes for Japanese wannabes. Tell me one celebrity who wears any one of these brands. They even have no name brand recognition. You guys should wear Sperrys I can't tell the difference :laugh

Absolutely.

JRyder

Reaction score
If you're serious than you're a touron, if you're not well then you're funny, "no name brand recognition"
laugh.gif
"tell me one celebrity who wears any one of these brands?"
crackup[1].gif

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'd much rather be a Japanese wanna-be than a celebrity wanna-be in ubiquitous mall brand made in China **** like Sperry. **** name brand recognition, most name brands sold out long ago (Levi's, Sperry, the list goes on and on).

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i guess thats one way to look at it, however, this is actually american footwear so i do not understand the japanese wannabe comment. as you might know their is a huge demand for americana footwear in japan. many japanese consumer demand the best (which is why yuketen sells 75% - 80% of their production to asian markets) and in that regard they are ahead of the average american consumer. if you cannot tell the difference between these shoes and sperrys (which i highly doubt if you compared in person) then you are not their target consumer. consumers of these shoes demand the best and settle for nothing less.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
i guess thats one way to look at it, however, this is actually american footwear so i do not understand the japanese wannabe comment. as you might know their is a huge demand for americana footwear in japan. many japanese consumer demand the best (which is why yuketen sells 75% - 80% of their production to asian markets) and in that regard they are ahead of the average american consumer.

if you cannot tell the difference between these shoes and sperrys (which i highly doubt if you compared in person) then you are not their target consumer. consumers of these shoes demand the best and settle for nothing less.

His point is hilarious in the first place, as in it would be Americans copying Japanese who are copying Americans with made in America, Americana inspired footwear. But we'd be better off buying made in China Sperrys as then we wouldn't be copying the Japanese who are copying our tradition of footwear which has been all but lost to mall brand bullshit like Sperry save for Maine manufacturers mentioned in the thread. I'm grateful for Japanese buyers keeping brands like Yuketen viable.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Tell me one celebrity who wears any one of these brands. They even have no name brand recognition.

crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

Let me guess, you wear uggz because brittany spears wears them don't you?

Be honest.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
bump the poll thread to the top....Quoddy is winning this one, I think...

vespajg

Reaction score
Hmmm....since when did a celebrity wearing something become the litmus test for, well, anything? Judging by the crazy influx of mass produced and micro produced mocs these days, I'd say you're a bit out of the loop yourself. Aside from the fact that versions of these shoes have been in constant production for over 100 years. Better get back to your TV...time to consult the WB on what to buy tomorrow at the mall... Oh - and I vote for the brand that is handsewn in Maine...

JRyder

Reaction score
At some point all things must come to an end and it looks like this poll is getting close. A few thoughts for me. The difference in Yuketen vs Quoddy is at its essence the difference between work and play. In Yuketen there are more playful choice of sole material and leather-more crepe, more buffalo, more patterns. Not that Quoddy doesn't offer inane choices, the crepe soled ring boot comes to mind. I love the crepe sole (until they get hopelessly dirty) and will always gravitate there as a result and as a result Yuketen is at the top of my list. However, when I'm feeling more subdued, or at work a good camp sole will due and Quoddy's choices are appreciated. However this question comes back to choice, all this conversation about quality seems ridiculous in my estimation and really is a veiled discussion about aesthetic which is really why anyone is truly here-the pursuit of aesthetic appeal.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yuketen offers around 30+ more styles then quoddy in any given season. yuki uses higher quality and much more interesting materials. yuketen also offer first-rate bags, belts, wallets and luggage. each season yuki pushes the envelope in moc designs, which is something i admire. if you talk to people in the footwear industry he is considered one of the most creative people in the field and he designs off different inspirations, which is very difficult to do.

if you compare the companies side by side (yuketen v quoddy) its not even a comparison, imo. quoddy is an excellent company but they offer the same thing each season. for them to move forward they need to start designing mocs and not just "update" a classic style.

i am excited to see is the growth of osb and see what they do in the coming years. in my talks with him he has a lot of really cool ideas and he listens to what customers want and need, which neither company mentioned above does at the moment.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRyder
At some point all things must come to an end and it looks like this poll is getting close. A few thoughts for me. The difference in Yuketen vs Quoddy is at its essence the difference between work and play. In Yuketen there are more playful choice of sole material and leather-more crepe, more buffalo, more patterns. Not that Quoddy doesn't offer inane choices, the crepe soled ring boot comes to mind. I love the crepe sole (until they get hopelessly dirty) and will always gravitate there as a result and as a result Yuketen is at the top of my list. However, when I'm feeling more subdued, or at work a good camp sole will due and Quoddy's choices are appreciated. However this question comes back to choice, all this conversation about quality seems ridiculous in my estimation and really is a veiled discussion about aesthetic which is really why anyone is truly here-the pursuit of aesthetic appeal.

Hail Quoddy...

Yes, this poll is winding down. Quoddy is clearly the winner. And by a massive landslide, I hasten to add. Deservedly so. Well done, Quoddy. Well done!

Although the original poster of this thread is a total fucknut who in the end doesn't seem to respect the brands he polled on (and doesn't know the difference between Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan)...I must point out that polls like this must be taken with a grain of salt. I don't think this was a poll simply on shoe quality. It also factored in price, availability, how hot the sales reps are, family and geographical connections, etc etc etc. In the end though, I don't know if anyone in this forum really understands shoe quality....or if anyone here is the typical good-looking guy on the street either that these brands look good on....but that is better left unsaid....

So yeah, Hail Quoddy....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads