1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Yuketen vs Quoddy vs Oak Street bootmakers. The Ultimate Showdown

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by miran, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I don't know about that bro you been in slc too long.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

My experience was the opposite, owner of the company emailed me and Elizabeth has been superb over the phone. She did me a nice favor too.

wow for real? the owner? [​IMG]

My experience was a total fiasco of amateurism, unreliability and lack of proper and prompt communication.

I love the shoes though [​IMG]

3. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

wow for real? the owner? [​IMG] My experience was a total fiasco of amateurism, unreliability and lack of proper and prompt communication. I love the shoes though [​IMG]
    they owners are kirsten and kevin and i think they have an acting president (not related to the shorey's). elizabeth usually answers the phones. she actually is quite nice if you get a chance to talk to her.

4. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Well-Known Member

i can't believe the shoes are now being judged by their customer service reps!

for what it's worth, elizabeth is very hot....she looks a lot like that girl from The Breakfast Club....although she doesn't sound like that girl...she sounds more nasal, not quite air-heady but getting there....

What was Yuki Matsada look like? And the folks that run the Oak Street Bootmakers?

5. whatever123

i can't believe the shoes are now being judged by their customer service reps! for what it's worth, elizabeth is very hot....she looks a lot like that girl from The Breakfast Club....although she doesn't sound like that girl...she sounds more nasal, not quite air-heady but getting there.... What was Yuki Matsada look like? And the folks that run the Oak Street Bootmakers?
    molly ringwald, ally sheedy or anthony michael hall?

6. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Well-Known Member

molly ringwald....but more dirty blond, not redhead.

7. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

my first pair were like 3 seasons ago for navy boat shoes quoddy for south willard. a month later i special ordered burgundy unlined boat shoes direct for 186 SHIPPED!!! those were the good old days. but yeah the website back then sucked balls, and i spoke with kirsten over the phone and through email. there service was fine but just slow ... took a real long time to get back to me, etc. but the product was amazing once it arrived and made up for slow service. i think it was also because back then, they were fairly small and were trying to expand with more sourcing for retailers, new website, etc.

now the prices have risen quite a bit. unlined custom boat shoes are approaching 260ish now but that one with the baseball stitching in burgundy is making me not even think about price!!!

still love my yuketens and voted for them just because they have a much more creative offering in colors, materials, styles and always seem to change it up for the better

8. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Well-Known Member

molly ringwald, ally sheedy or anthony michael hall?

also, anthony michael hall is not a girl, whatever123....

9. whatever123

my first pair were like 3 seasons ago for navy boat shoes quoddy for south willard. a month later i special ordered burgundy unlined boat shoes direct for 186 SHIPPED!!! those were the good old days. but yeah the website back then sucked balls, and i spoke with kirsten over the phone and through email. there service was fine but just slow ... took a real long time to get back to me, etc. but the product was amazing once it arrived and made up for slow service. i think it was also because back then, they were fairly small and were trying to expand with more sourcing for retailers, new website, etc. now the prices have risen quite a bit. unlined custom boat shoes are approaching 260ish now but that one with the baseball stitching in burgundy is making me not even think about price!!! still love my yuketens and voted for them just because they have a much more creative offering in colors, materials, styles and always seem to change it up for the better
    yeah, they have always been nice to me but they did break a deadline on one occasion with one of my repairs. that doesnt bother me all that much but i can see how it could piss others off. do i think they do it intentionally? of course not but then it speaks to their business model. personally, i think they need to either do away with their webstore and pass all sales to their retailers or do away with their retailers and go all out with the webstore. they would obviously make more money selling only from their website (not having to discount their products so retailers can make a buck) but i guess they wouldnt get the same level of exposure so its a trade-off. personally, i think they have spread themselves to thin and a lot of their issues stem from that. there is only so much production they can do each day (hand making shoes take time) so they can only deliver so much output and i think their orders far exceed their expected output .... like by months.

10. whatever123

also, anthony michael hall is not a girl, whatever123....
    yeah, it was just a little joke.

11. norcal_indy

norcal_indy Well-Known Member

My experience was the opposite, owner of the company emailed me and Elizabeth has been superb over the phone. She did me a nice favor too.
    Same. I originally spoke to Kirstin (I think) and she located some burgundy leather for my custom Maliseet order. Later, Elizabeth helped me out with a last-minute change to my order. I received the shoes a week before they were expected to ship.

12. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

Despite all the competition, I think quoddy still comes out on top. I've had excellent customer service and their shoes are just perfect. I like their styles and custom made options.

13. miran

miran Well-Known Member

You guys are treating these shoes like their Gods gift to man. I don't see what the big deal is. These are hipster shoes for Japanese wannabes. Tell me one celebrity who wears any one of these brands. They even have no name brand recognition. You guys should wear Sperrys I can't tell the difference :laugh

14. Pangolin

Pangolin Well-Known Member

You guys are treating these shoes like their Gods gift to man. I don't see what the big deal is. These are hipster shoes for Japanese wannabes. Tell me one celebrity who wears any one of these brands. They even have no name brand recognition. You guys should wear Sperrys I can't tell the difference :laugh

Absolutely.

15. JRyder

JRyder Well-Known Member

drafted into the oregon woods, an indentured serva
    If you're serious than you're a touron, if you're not well then you're funny, "no name brand recognition" [​IMG] "tell me one celebrity who wears any one of these brands?"[​IMG]

16. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Well-Known Member

I'd much rather be a Japanese wanna-be than a celebrity wanna-be in ubiquitous mall brand made in China shit like Sperry. Fuck name brand recognition, most name brands sold out long ago (Levi's, Sperry, the list goes on and on).

17. whatever123

i guess thats one way to look at it, however, this is actually american footwear so i do not understand the japanese wannabe comment. as you might know their is a huge demand for americana footwear in japan. many japanese consumer demand the best (which is why yuketen sells 75% - 80% of their production to asian markets) and in that regard they are ahead of the average american consumer. if you cannot tell the difference between these shoes and sperrys (which i highly doubt if you compared in person) then you are not their target consumer. consumers of these shoes demand the best and settle for nothing less.

18. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Well-Known Member

i guess thats one way to look at it, however, this is actually american footwear so i do not understand the japanese wannabe comment. as you might know their is a huge demand for americana footwear in japan. many japanese consumer demand the best (which is why yuketen sells 75% - 80% of their production to asian markets) and in that regard they are ahead of the average american consumer.

if you cannot tell the difference between these shoes and sperrys (which i highly doubt if you compared in person) then you are not their target consumer. consumers of these shoes demand the best and settle for nothing less.

His point is hilarious in the first place, as in it would be Americans copying Japanese who are copying Americans with made in America, Americana inspired footwear. But we'd be better off buying made in China Sperrys as then we wouldn't be copying the Japanese who are copying our tradition of footwear which has been all but lost to mall brand bullshit like Sperry save for Maine manufacturers mentioned in the thread. I'm grateful for Japanese buyers keeping brands like Yuketen viable.

19. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Tell me one celebrity who wears any one of these brands. They even have no name brand recognition.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Let me guess, you wear uggz because brittany spears wears them don't you?

Be honest.

20. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Well-Known Member

bump the poll thread to the top....Quoddy is winning this one, I think...