• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

www.tailorstore.com - anyone try ordering any of their $40 MTM shirts?

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
+1 on customer service. Some of the measurements were off on their end with the first shirt and they gave me a credit. Second shirt is good. Basic white poplin is on the stiff side even after a couple of washes. For some weird reason I had to go up to a 15.5 on the neck for the 2nd shirt when I am normally a 14.5. I am really thin and ordered slim fit and slim sleeves on the first as well and the sleeves were too tight. I got regular sleeve for the 2nd and they're fine.
I have noticed all the basic level poplins are total crap, from their near sandpaper-like texture, rigidity, and substantial shrinkage compared to the other fabrics. It seems like the shirts are washed right before shipping, so they the fit on the basic poplins is noticeably tighter than other fabrics with the same measurements, and they will continue to shrink with another wash at home. While all the other higher quality fabrics I have from them are well within reasonable shrink tolerances, I have made a habit of choosing the 'adjust measurements for possible shrinkage' option, though even this option cannot save the basic poplins. Over the last year or so I have amassed about a baker's dozen of their MTM shirts which I am quite happy with. The customer service is excellent and they have been consistent so far in regard to the measurements I submit to them. I will glady continue to do business with them, though only selecting 'exclusive' and 'superior' level fabrics.

coogie

Reaction score
I've just received one shirt i ordered from them after waiting over a month. I have to say the shirt is total crap. The material is cheap & horrid and the fit just isn't right. I used the same measurements profile for www.Nialma.com and mytailor.com.. I have loads of Nialma shirts now and just one mytailor but they all fit every time on those measurements... I think i'm going to stick with paying slightly more for much better materials, fit, quality, service and delivery speed

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Just curious, when you did this did you SAY that they were shirt measurements or body measurements?

well they have two different sections...you select which you want to do, shirt or body, and then they walk you through what they want. There's really no way to muck it up when they show you the picture heh

Pasha

Reaction score
One caveat about www.tailoredshirts.com: It appears that they cannot vary their standard collar point and collar rise. I asked them to use specific measurements on the collars of 3 shirts that I ordered, and each time they didn't do it. So ask beforehand about their standard collars - if it's not what you like, they won't change it.

Yardsale

Reaction score
so I got my made-to-measure shirt in the other day and everything is pretty good, and I'm ready to reorder again to refine the cut. However, the armholes are too high/tight, what measurement am I suppose to change to accommodate it?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yardsale
so I got my made-to-measure shirt in the other day and everything is pretty good, and I'm ready to reorder again to refine the cut. However, the armholes are too high/tight, what measurement am I suppose to change to accommodate it?

they now have an option for the lower arm sleeve length, from pit to end of sleeve, that will guarantee a good armscythe.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
well they have two different sections...you select which you want to do, shirt or body, and then they walk you through what they want. There's really no way to muck it up when they show you the picture heh

Uhmm I understand that I was specifically asking which one that you checked since you said it was rather tight.

bizzblar

Reaction score
I've recently ordered from tailorstore and was very happy with the product and service. I did order the lowert quality shirt to start with (was only 45), and it was of pretty crappy quality, but I expect a lot better with my upcoming order, with more expensive fabrics. I chose to provide my own shirt measurements and they matched them pretty much to the .5 cm on everything I listed. I only washed my shirt once (no dryer) and there wasn't much shrinkage that I could notice.

The best part is probably their customer service. They responded to all of my questions within 24 hours and were very helpful with everything I asked. I also received my shirt within 3 weeks, but I am not sure if this is typical.

Pros: The service is cheap, they follow directions very well, decent selection of fabrics, great selection of various options, and the customer service is outstanding
Cons: The fabric on the one shirt I ordered from the basic line was pretty poor, but thats expected at 45 bucks.

dantheman

Reaction score
My shirt arrived today. Been waiting a while. What I've concluded is that just like everything, you get what you pay for. The shirts is nothing special. Average fabric, tailoring not amazing. But it was $45 so i'm happy.

Theo Moore

Reaction score
Okay. This review is without pictures, but I doubt pictures would help more than words. First, I purchased the cheapest Poplin White fabric. Here were the measurements:
Collar size : 43 cm Chest width: 58 cm Waist width: 50 cm Bottom width: 56 cm Shirt length: 67.5 cm Sleeve length: 60.5 cm Lower sleeve length: 53 cm Back width: 51.5 cm Armpit width: 27 cm Cuff width: 25 cm Total paid (with shipping and removable collar stays) = £30
I think you can discern the problem with me fitting in normal clothes by studying the chest/back vs. waist measurements. I have a fairly wide chest and back, and a small waist. This 'abnormality' is expounded by the fact that I'm only 5'7. Most shirts meant for people my height do not fit my back and chest (and neck). If they do fit, they're usually meant for people with bigger stomachs. My measurements and standards were taken from a brilliant shirt I had tailored a year ago. The shirt fits marvelously. The price I paid was about $120 CDN + Tax = £60-£70. What I am currently looking for is to start a collection of casual wear shirts that will slowly take over my youthful collection of t-shirts. This is why the shirt length is only 67.5 cm -- long enough to tuck in if I like, but short enough to keep it out. Here are my scores: Service/Speed: 9/10 As has already been covered, TailorStore is usually very fast and very efficient. I made my order without collar stays and I asked them to change it. The reply was within 12 hours. The site is very clean and very helpful. No worries here. Fit: 8/10 I was actually very happy with the fit -- obviously these measurements were taken from a tailored shirt. I did a rough re-measuring, and it seems most of the measurements were dead on -- plus or minus 0.25 cm, I'd say -- though some of them are going to vary with how you measure. Even the length, which I specified as 67.5 seemed dead on. The reason why the score is not higher than 8 is because while the measurements may be exact, obviously the shirt did not fit me as well as my previous tailored one. I believe the problems may lie in the curvature of the trapezoid or other more precise curves which have to be seen in person (obviously). The result is that my other shirt, which actually has a larger waist measurement, better emphasizes my (um...) curves. This may also be due to the fabric, which is softer and more pliant. As far as I'm concerned, the fit is a perfect 8/8 given what they can know just from single measurements. The 8/10 is based on if you were comparing with physical tailors. Fabric: [strike]6/10[/strike] 5/10 Here is where most people do the complaining. Let's stop the hyperbole. The fabric is not bad. I chose the cheapest Poplin instead of the cheapest Oxford because I wanted something that would be thinner and lighter. The fabric is a little papery and wrinkles easily. However, I wanted something I could wear on a weekly basis casually. In this criteria, it scores 6/10. If you wanted something fine to wear with a tuxedo, obviously the fabric would score a 4/10 or similar. It's all based on what you want and what you're expecting. Edit: It has gone through a wash cycle and I'm afraid I had to lower the score. The shirt does not hold up well to washing. The paperiness is worsened and it crinkles like you wouldn't imagine. Fortunately, ironing it seems to remedy both effects, but based on this, I would suggest unless you are really unsure of your measurements -- to go with a higher quality shirt. Also, there was some apparent shrinkage -- I'd say about 0.5cm on certain measurements. Final Score: 7/10 Here's the explanation for this score. I wanted something I could wear weekly (or more often), and not be afraid to damage. It would replace my old tshirts and raggedy clothes. With these expectations, I am fairly happy. It met my expectations (though not with an exclamation mark). Now, I'm going to try Jaantzen. If Jaantzen doesn't offer me a better alternative 'staple', I'm going to go back to Tailorstore and order a couple more shirts. If that's the case, I'll probably spend a more on the higher end fabrics. Tailorstore has my recommendation. By the way, Tailorstore actually has a referral program. I hate to sound like a salesman, but if you found my review helpful, let me know if you intend on buying a shirt and I can actually get a free one, apparently.

Chouse

Reaction score
Just to add to this thread, I recently ordered a "trial" shirt in the dusk blue poplin fabric using measurements off another shirt and I must say I'm pretty impressed. While the fabric quality is nothing exceptional it is certainly better than what I expected. The fit is awesome, they followed the provided measurements very closely.

And Gibson: I did use the "allow for shrinkage" option, which meant ~1cm more on a few measurements. The actual shrinkage after the first wash is probably slightly less than that.

Gibson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chouse
Just to add to this thread, I recently ordered a "trial" shirt in the dusk blue poplin fabric using measurements off another shirt and I must say I'm pretty impressed. While the fabric quality is nothing exceptional it is certainly better than what I expected. The fit is awesome, they followed the provided measurements very closely.

And Gibson: I did use the "allow for shrinkage" option, which meant ~1cm more on a few measurements. The actual shrinkage after the first wash is probably slightly less than that.

Chouse, thanks for answering my question. I ordered one yesterday without the allow for shrinkage option, trusting my supreme laundry-skills.
wink.gif
My girlfriend measured my body, did some remeasuring to be sure.

Have any pictures of the fit?

coogie

Reaction score
I'm shocked how many people want to look good by a well fitting shirt and yet they don't seem to matter whatsoever about the quality.

I hope all you're shirts did not turn out like mine

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads