• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Words+Bindings - The Fashion Books Thread

magicalporks

Reaction score
Amusing sidenote, though I haven't read it yet myself, I've talked to the translator of My Dear Bomb. He actually doesn't really like it and called Yohji a huge womanizer.
laugh.gif

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Amusing sidenote, though I haven't read it yet myself, I've talked to the translator of My Dear Bomb. He actually doesn't really like it and called Yohji a huge womanizer. :laugh:

i read the pdf excerpt that's floating around here and i thought it was a bit vain and over-dramatic fluff. but apparently there's good stuff that's not contained in those 40 pages i skimmed

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the best I could do. I don't know how to take pictures of books. I don't have a scanner. It's heavy. And big.

Maison Martin Margiela
Year: 2009
Hardcover, linen bound
368 pages

Availability: Everywhere

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i think it turned out nicely like that

if you want to take pics for actual viewing/reading versus just display and exposition then you should already know, close the aperture down so you get better depth of focus along with a more top/down view

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. :fistbump:

Everything is very close because of the **** lighting makes it impossible to take photos without shadows of myself/objects. It's a small and old place

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it looks nice. stand on a chair to get an overall view, that's what I did for my stamp-sized book.

Kinda want the Margbook again after seeing those Mark Borthwick pics Fuuma posted in the other thread.

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will do that for the next one. I am thinking of getting the Bless one for funsies. I'll post that up if I end up getting it.

As for the Margiela one I just wanted to show what was inside mostly, in case people were wondering. It's mostly all photographs, but there are some cool things like screen caps of playlists and stuff. Inside are 'mini-booklets' as well, articles/essays in languages I don't know. Pretty cool.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
is that the same one SQ has or the older one ? or was there only one and I've imagined things again

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's talk binding quality, paper grammage and roughness coefficient of the page curl.

There's also a book from the exhibition

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys buy these things new or scout them out used? I guess I'm talking art books in general, not just fashion. They tend to be pretty pricey but I swing by the library sometimes to look at stuff.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

patience young grasshopper, i've yet to read most of them. it's a preliminary list of shah's reviews to come :alien:

Is it taken, at least in part, from artbook/book suggestions I posted on SZ? I seem to remember having done that, or maybe a lot of the non-fashion we like is similar.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i think you're right because they were all in my amazon cart and i remember scanning that thread some while back.

will add
00a9.png
Bogdanovich to posts

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score

ReFusing Fashion: Rei Kawakubo

My buddy installed this show, it's a pretty interesting presentation.

I will add photos/scans of The New English Dandy this weekend. I will try to find a copy of Kid's Wear to scan but I believe all of mine are in storage somewhere right now.

Also, wanted to add Nick Cave - Meet Me At The Center Of The Earth as a must own (if you can find an affordable copy) book. It's not "fashion", but this guy makes some of the most incredible wearable sculptures out of fabric/fibers.

magicalporks

Reaction score
Really quick and dirty.

Also just finished reading through Japan Fashion Now. Was alright as a light read and quick history of Japanese fashion. Not too much interesting detail though and the bits about the various fashion subcultures (gyaru, lolita, etc) felt mostly like fluff.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads