• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why no love for the three piece suit?

Russ_H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
Why don't I ever see people wearing three piece suits aside from on TV? If I had the money, I'd have 112 bespoke three piece suits, one every day for four weeks for every season.

james-bond-in-tom-ford.jpg

It's a shame that this chap's waistcoat is too short, or his trousers too low in the waist.
I dislike seeing shirt or waistband between waistcoat and trousers. Surely the idea is to
give the impression of a single, unbroken sweep of material?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
I'm moving on to more Double breasted suits myself. I think that's the future big trend.

+100

I think by next year they will be pretty close to being "required" for all sharp dressed men.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
+100

I think by next year they will be pretty close to being "required" for all sharp dressed men.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

doubtful

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love the 3 piece. Wouldn't wear in the summer, but appropriate the rest of the year.

Xenon

Reaction score
I really love a nice fitted 3 piece. tom ford had several. Unfortuneately our over heated indoor society makes the vest unwearable even in winter, spring or fall let alone summer.

Maybe with a bit of luck this global warming hype will change all this and indoor heating will be banned. I could then wear and purchase more 3 pieces.

Note: then all those fat ugly chicks that are always cold could then just freeze to death
laugh.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I rarely wear suits, I'm considering having a glen plaid suit made and seriously considering making it a 3-piece. If I choose a fabric with a soft finish, I should be able to wear all three pieces as separates.

rathebaindc

Reaction score
+100

-100. I think they look silly. Every time I see a guy wearing one, I want to ask where his Tommy gun is; i find them so wannabe 1930s gangster.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rathebaindc
-100. I think they look silly. Every time I see a guy wearing one, I want to ask where his Tommy gun is; i find them so wannabe 1930s gangster.
This sort of thinking is probably a few steps above thinking that anyone wearing a pink shirt must be gay, but only a few. Just because you have these weird associations in your head, does not mean everyone else does. Associating a wide-brimmed fedora with 'gangsters' is a relatively common one, but associating any double-breasted coat with gangsters, unless it is in a wide chalk-stripe and loose 30's cut, is not normal. I mean, do you honestly look at the images above and think they're trying to dress like 1920's gangsters?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? They seemed to show up all over the shows this year. Many more than last year. I would be prepared to embrace the look....

tumblr_lc2nanrFw21qcjei9o1_400.jpg

tumblr_lnk78nllV81qgafvdo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lgd5ltfeOp1qgafvdo1_1280.png

tumblr_lfefi8f5Dv1qgxqnio1_500.jpg

tumblr_lm6lyzKM3p1qfjc32o1_500.jpg
tumblr_llziyshVea1qas9y1o1_500.jpg

manufacturers can produce them, but i'm not sure how many men will wear them. I personally cannot stand to wear a double breasted suit, so I will not embrace them.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

First, it's subjective comfort: if you feel comfortable wearing a 3-piece then feeling awkward is not an issue.

Second, it's the context: if you are in a situation where it is acceptable to be wearing a suit then you're not going to feel like you're sticking out (i.e., Asch experiment).

I wear a 3-piece probably once every other week in my office (during fall/winter seasons here in NY) and it's never been an issue. Some caveats: it is not seen 'bizarre' for me to be wearing suits and almost all my colleagues are women so I do not get the 'snickering' from male colleagues some previous posters have mentioned.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
manufacturers can produce them, but i'm not sure how many men will wear them. I personally cannot stand to wear a double breasted suit, so I will not embrace them.

Your loss. I have a RLBL navy DB suit that I wear with pride and get nothing but complements on.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Your loss. I have a RLBL navy DB suit that I wear with pride and get nothing but complements on.

in fact, it isn't.

I don't like them, so I wouldn't have any pride, and I don't dress for others, so I wouldn't care about compliments.

I don't like them.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
in fact, it isn't.

I don't like them, so I wouldn't have any pride, and I don't dress for others, so I wouldn't care about compliments.

I don't like them.

Thus your loss. It is not that hard to understand. You are missing out since you don't have a taste for them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads