1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why no love for the three piece suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by andrew96, Jul 5, 2011.

1. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

+1 Hard to pull off without looking pretentious and out of place
    And why is a vest any worse than a pocket square? A vest is a practical piece of clothing and an extension of a suit. A pocket square will be viewed as decoration. I imagine the pocket square would receive stronger responses either way, but many more negative responses than the vest. The vest may also receive a greater number of positive responses since it more subtley smartens up the outfit (and I suspect the responses would be less specific to the vest, and often to just the overall outfit). I like vests, but they also lessen the effect of a shirt and tie (though I think it enhances them without a jacket). Depends on the combination.

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a three piece suit in a long time, non around here. I know my father used to wear one in the 70s.

3. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

They look great very well fitted...

Very trendy at the moment...

Thank you.

Them being trendy is good in some ways bad in others. I'm moving on to more Double breasted suits myself. I think that's the future big trend. I haven't made a DB for a client in two years though, people think I'm crazy when I suggest it. A few years ago people laughed at me for suggesting they wear three piece suits.

4. speedy4500

speedy4500 Well-Known Member

Something of a speciality of mine. Most of the suits I make for myself or clients are three piece.

I just looked at the gallery on your site, David.... your suits look phenomenal, very stately and elegant.

I tend to agree with the statement that it takes a certain attitude and build to pull off a three piece, but if one can do it, a three piece makes a hell of a statement. I also find that they work best with taller and athletic builds, rather than short and/or heavier folks.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

Is the point of a vest to discard the coat in the office and still have something over your shirt and tie (i.e., besides the style aspect, was there some semi-practical point to it when it was more popular)?

A three piece makes me think a banker who has to deal with customers all day and needs to appear just that much more formal. It's hard enough looking like a lawyer and not coming off too snotty. Snooty. Snotty. Whatever.

In my small office and even in the larger building, I am quite sure a three-piece would get plenty of stares and chuckles, no matter how nice. Too bad.

There are plenty out there, though, that wear 2 piece suits. Hardly anyone these days wears 3. It would stand out, despite what you think. Just the way it is.

+1

Maybe this is the case in australia or oregon, but in NYC, a three piece suit raises very few eyebrows, unless you work in a very business casual environment.

6. Russ_H

Russ_H Active Member

Why don't I ever see people wearing three piece suits aside from on TV? If I had the money, I'd have 112 bespoke three piece suits, one every day for four weeks for every season.

[​IMG]

It's a shame that this chap's waistcoat is too short, or his trousers too low in the waist.
    I dislike seeing shirt or waistband between waistcoat and trousers. Surely the idea is to
    give the impression of a single, unbroken sweep of material?

7. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I'm moving on to more Double breasted suits myself. I think that's the future big trend.

+100

I think by next year they will be pretty close to being "required" for all sharp dressed men.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

+100

I think by next year they will be pretty close to being "required" for all sharp dressed men.

Indeed; I've been heralding their resurgence for a while now.

9. Quadcammer

+100

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

doubtful

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Love the 3 piece. Wouldn't wear in the summer, but appropriate the rest of the year.

11. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

I really love a nice fitted 3 piece. tom ford had several. Unfortuneately our over heated indoor society makes the vest unwearable even in winter, spring or fall let alone summer.

Maybe with a bit of luck this global warming hype will change all this and indoor heating will be banned. I could then wear and purchase more 3 pieces.

Note: then all those fat ugly chicks that are always cold could then just freeze to death[​IMG]

12. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Although I rarely wear suits, I'm considering having a glen plaid suit made and seriously considering making it a 3-piece. If I choose a fabric with a soft finish, I should be able to wear all three pieces as separates.

13. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

doubtful

Really? They seemed to show up all over the shows this year. Many more than last year. I would be prepared to embrace the look....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. rathebaindc

rathebaindc Well-Known Member

+100

-100. I think they look silly. Every time I see a guy wearing one, I want to ask where his Tommy gun is; i find them so wannabe 1930s gangster.

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

-100. I think they look silly. Every time I see a guy wearing one, I want to ask where his Tommy gun is; i find them so wannabe 1930s gangster.
    This sort of thinking is probably a few steps above thinking that anyone wearing a pink shirt must be gay, but only a few. Just because you have these weird associations in your head, does not mean everyone else does. Associating a wide-brimmed fedora with 'gangsters' is a relatively common one, but associating any double-breasted coat with gangsters, unless it is in a wide chalk-stripe and loose 30's cut, is not normal. I mean, do you honestly look at the images above and think they're trying to dress like 1920's gangsters?

16. Quadcammer

Really? They seemed to show up all over the shows this year. Many more than last year. I would be prepared to embrace the look....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

manufacturers can produce them, but i'm not sure how many men will wear them. I personally cannot stand to wear a double breasted suit, so I will not embrace them.

17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

My 2 cents:

First, it's subjective comfort: if you feel comfortable wearing a 3-piece then feeling awkward is not an issue.

Second, it's the context: if you are in a situation where it is acceptable to be wearing a suit then you're not going to feel like you're sticking out (i.e., Asch experiment).

I wear a 3-piece probably once every other week in my office (during fall/winter seasons here in NY) and it's never been an issue. Some caveats: it is not seen 'bizarre' for me to be wearing suits and almost all my colleagues are women so I do not get the 'snickering' from male colleagues some previous posters have mentioned.

18. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

manufacturers can produce them, but i'm not sure how many men will wear them. I personally cannot stand to wear a double breasted suit, so I will not embrace them.

Your loss. I have a RLBL navy DB suit that I wear with pride and get nothing but complements on.

19. Quadcammer

Your loss. I have a RLBL navy DB suit that I wear with pride and get nothing but complements on.

in fact, it isn't.

I don't like them, so I wouldn't have any pride, and I don't dress for others, so I wouldn't care about compliments.

I don't like them.

20. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

in fact, it isn't.

I don't like them, so I wouldn't have any pride, and I don't dress for others, so I wouldn't care about compliments.

I don't like them.

Thus your loss. It is not that hard to understand. You are missing out since you don't have a taste for them.