• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why if there is a Brannock device and universal standard of measurement can shoe manufacturers not b

unopinionated

Reaction score
I worked in a shoe store as a teen so Im not an absolute newb.
Over the years my feet have grown.....from 12 in high school to as much as a 15 today.
My 10 y.o. Kenneth Cole dress shoes are a size 13 and fit fine.
My Allen Edmond tassle slip-ons are just a tad loose at 14.
My last pair of New Balance were 15s but now holey.
I just bought a 15 Nike Air Max Torch 4 last week out of desperation rather than appeal but when I tried wearing them in the house they felt like okay lengthwise but like a silver dollar was in my shoe and pressing against the bottom of my foot from the ball and across laterally.
So, I went online and bougtht two pairs of New Balance also in 15 since that worked for me with the last pair. I thought there may be variance between mfr (Nike, Adidas, Puma run small) but that within the NB ecosystem a 15 is a 15 is a 15. Well, it is not. The MT980v1 was both too short. My toe was touching the end on the front side. The other pair, the M890GY4, lighter and for running was a little less noticeable touch against the big toe (but still noticeable when walking). This shoe, too, I felt the 'silver dollar' effect under the ball joint to third toe, laterally. The fabric of the shoe looks snug against the top of my foot by the balljoint and I'm starting to wonder if the 'silver dollar' effect is actually a result of the shoe being too narrow, bundling my foot together and pressing it down into the sole, thus the pressure. The Brannock device says that I am just shy of the 14-line and based upon that length that I am a C-D width.......so supposedly I am narrower than normal and a D should be fine.

Shopping for shoes is absolute misery because not only is there very little in stock in my size but also little variety as well. I am now at the upper limits of what these manufacturers make unless I want the Black or White Herman Munster leather shoes that I see Seniors wearing as they walk around the mall in the morning. You would think it would be in a mfrs best interest to be consistent in sizing so as to minimize customer frustration as well as to decrease cost of returns.

There are other threads on here addressing 'pinched toes' and length but not much addressing the telltale sensation of wearing a shoe that is too narrow or too wide. Wearing shoes too narrow is neither good for the foot or for the shoe and I imagine they do not stretch much but rather would rip. I am now in a position where I think I need to return all three pairs, one a 120-mile roundtrip and the other two via USPS to 6pm.com and just wear the boxes around on my feet.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are speaking of different materials used in manufacture which can behave differently as well as different manufacturing methods which introduce another tolerance.

It will never be possible to make shoes to the precision you carve in view of these. If you are at all familiar with engineering drawings you will know that there is always a plus/minus tolerance stated, however tight to allow for such things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads