• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are most cars so ugly?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proof that humans could (quite recently) design timeless cars:

ferrari-550-maranello-front-1_106.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Ah, the G-class. One of my all-time favourite cars. And probably the only current Merc that I would be seen behind the wheel of.

Really? Have you ever driven one? They drive poorly.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i get a semi every time I see an A5. I think audi may be the only compnay that doesn;t have an ugly beast on it's roster

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I suspect is the polarizing effects of design, which would mean it's sort of the buyer's fault and we could assume it's possible or even desirable for manufacturers to produce nicer cars but their hands are tied. Another point, which nobody has mentioned yet is around Legacy. basically these companies have built up a certain styling, their badge's identity, and with so many cooks in the kitchen all mushing ideas together, plus a general style that has to be followed from one model to the next, there's like this huge ball and chain of history weighing them down. I do see exceptions like say the Mustang - essentially the same old car but updated nicely. hyundai genesis coupe... cheap and could very well be a G37 for example, or maybe it's the new Lexus ISc. Hell, if I told you it was a baby Ferrari concept you might believe that too.
HyundaiGenesis_Coupe_Concept__2007_12_05_1024x768.jpg

videocrew

Reaction score
I viscerally want to hate the Genesis so badly. I despise Hyundai with a burning passion. Yet for the life of me I can't stop being impressed by what a nice car it is for so little freaking money. I'd never drive one myself, but if a friend asked my advice on one, I can't justify not getting it.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Well, Minivans are extremely utilitarian, great for most things but are just plain butt ugly.....

I don't know if you can make a car that can carry 8 people and not ugly.... You have to lose something.

YoungM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoyDiffusion
Same reason why most Americans aspire to live in houses like this:

McMansion.533.jpg

Haha, I live 6 miles from there, and work about two miles from there.

I know I'm being obnoxious and self-righteous, as I'm certainly guilty of pretension myself, but I can't help it. Many of you guys are ridiculous. Who the hell cares what someone's house looks like? People value different things.

Given that I live in Plano, I can tell you that, despite the questionable aesthetics, a good deal of the people that live in those stereotypical McMansions are very intelligent, interesting, and, for the most part, have accomplished a great deal.

And yet, many of you still think it's worth your time to criticize a mundane fact of life that you know will never change. Do you guys walk around malls going "Oh ****, this stuff is so passÃ
00a9.png
, damn you bourgeoisie."? I had a friend in high school who discovered SF and SuFu. Do you know what the first the that happened was? He grew a completely misguided ego about his taste, and would spend a good half of every class I had with him making patronizing comments about other people's taste. It's immature. Criticize aesthetics all you want, although even that gets tiring, but for christ's sake, bitching about the supposedly disgusting nature of the American middle and upper class is like making fun of Brittany Spears. Or Ed Hardy.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Ah, the G-class. One of my all-time favourite cars. And probably the only current Merc that I would be seen behind the wheel of.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Really? Have you ever driven one? They drive poorly.

A G wagon rescued me in a snowstorm once, I've loved them ever since.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most cars today are ugly, and i think it sucks. Some where after 1975 all the cars started to look like ****. I'm confident that cars from 2010 are better then ones in 1984, but still, most of the good looking cars today are just beefy fat versions of good looking cars from the late sixties. I mean, how did this, (1968)
goodmustang.jpg
turn into that...? I mean it looks like a joke (2010)
shitmustang.jpg

Petrolhead

Reaction score
there are nice looking cheap cars out there... look at the italian small hatchbacks and sedans...
alfa_romeo159.jpg
alfa romeo 159, the best looking low range sedan
fiat-500_100186120_m.jpg
fiat 500 take a look at the alfa brera also. i'd buy one if it wasn't for that back :S but the alfa spyder looks divine

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics