1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why are most cars so ugly?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by username79, May 8, 2010.

1. videocrew

videocrew Well-Known Member

I viscerally want to hate the Genesis so badly. I despise Hyundai with a burning passion. Yet for the life of me I can't stop being impressed by what a nice car it is for so little freaking money. I'd never drive one myself, but if a friend asked my advice on one, I can't justify not getting it.

2. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Well-Known Member

Well, Minivans are extremely utilitarian, great for most things but are just plain butt ugly.....

I don't know if you can make a car that can carry 8 people and not ugly.... You have to lose something.

3. henrikc

henrikc Well-Known Member

4. YoungM

YoungM Well-Known Member

Same reason why most Americans aspire to live in houses like this:

[​IMG]

Haha, I live 6 miles from there, and work about two miles from there.

I know I'm being obnoxious and self-righteous, as I'm certainly guilty of pretension myself, but I can't help it. Many of you guys are ridiculous. Who the hell cares what someone's house looks like? People value different things.

Given that I live in Plano, I can tell you that, despite the questionable aesthetics, a good deal of the people that live in those stereotypical McMansions are very intelligent, interesting, and, for the most part, have accomplished a great deal.

And yet, many of you still think it's worth your time to criticize a mundane fact of life that you know will never change. Do you guys walk around malls going "Oh shit, this stuff is so passÃ[​IMG], damn you bourgeoisie."? I had a friend in high school who discovered SF and SuFu. Do you know what the first the that happened was? He grew a completely misguided ego about his taste, and would spend a good half of every class I had with him making patronizing comments about other people's taste. It's immature. Criticize aesthetics all you want, although even that gets tiring, but for christ's sake, bitching about the supposedly disgusting nature of the American middle and upper class is like making fun of Brittany Spears. Or Ed Hardy.

5. KenN

KenN Well-Known Member

Ah, the G-class. One of my all-time favourite cars. And probably the only current Merc that I would be seen behind the wheel of.

Really? Have you ever driven one? They drive poorly.

A G wagon rescued me in a snowstorm once, I've loved them ever since.

6. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Well-Known Member

Most cars today are ugly, and i think it sucks. Some where after 1975 all the cars started to look like shit. I'm confident that cars from 2010 are better then ones in 1984, but still, most of the good looking cars today are just beefy fat versions of good looking cars from the late sixties. I mean, how did this, (1968) [​IMG] turn into that...? I mean it looks like a joke (2010) [​IMG]

7. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Active Member

there are nice looking cheap cars out there... look at the italian small hatchbacks and sedans... [​IMG] alfa romeo 159, the best looking low range sedan [​IMG] fiat 500 take a look at the alfa brera also. i'd buy one if it wasn't for that back :S but the alfa spyder looks divine