• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who were some of your worst, rudest, and/or most ignorant customers?

Drudged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Who was it that posted the story of the guy trying on pants and *********** in them and left them in the fitting room? It was like 3 months ago, cant find it now, but I would say that wins.

Walked in to clean a dressing room and found three True Religions rumpled in the corner covered in urine. I did chuckle a bit at that one.

dappledown

Reaction score
Just think...If you made ANY sale from these incidents you would be the salesperson of the year!

its a damn challenge being in retail!

Originally Posted by SuitMyself
1.) A guy came in 45 minutes before closing time and wanted to buy some khakis. He told my colleague what he needed and my colleague gave him two pairs in his size. Minutes passed. It was now closing time. He was still trying on more pairs. The guy went back and forth between the shelves and the fitting for a total of two and a half hours AFTER closing time. At the end, he decided not to buy anything and he left. During all that time, he tried and retried and RETRIED every pair of khakis in the store in his size COUNTLTESS times before decding he didn't want to "commit" to any of them.

2.) A wife literally dragged her husband in to buy a new suit for an upcoming wedding. She said to me, "This man needs a new suit. He HAS to get a new suit for so-and-so's wedding. Dress him up." The husband didn't want a new suit and she said he mustbuy a new one because his current suit wasn't so current anymore. He succumbed and I brought out a few suits for him to consider along with some shirts and ties, etc. He still wasn't keen on the idea of having to buy a new suit but his wife INSISTED that he buy a new suit for this wedding. After approximately 45 minutes, he finally decided on one that he liked"”along with a new shirt and new tie and all other accessories"”and he said to me, "I like THIS one. I'll take all this. Wrap it up." His wife then said, "Well, honey, you can't buy from the first store we go to. We should shop around some more." She then grabbed him by the arm and they both left. I never saw them again.

3.) A couple in their 50s came into the store one day and the husband's arms were loaded with two mountains of clothing: sportcoats, dress pants, shirts, ties, suits (they've all been worn and were quite old). He told me that his son just recently switched jobs (no longer working a desk job and was now working in construction) and didn't need all his business clothes anymore and he asked me to give him a refund on behalf of his son. I looked at the mountain of worn clothing and told him how on earth could I possibly give him a refund for used clothing? He said he didn't understood what I meant. I told him to leave. He left and I never saw the ****** again.

4.) A young guy in his early 20s walked into the store one day and walked right up to a mannequin dressed in a double-breasted black suit ( a suit, NOT A TUXEDO). He said to me, "I need a new tuxedo. I like wearing Italish tuxedos. I have to wear a tuxedo everyday. I work in a hotel and I like this Italish tuxedo you have here. I really like it. It's very Italish. I need to buy a new tuxedo because I work in a hotel and I have to wear Italish tuxedos to work everyday." He then turned around and left. I never saw him again.

5.) An early 40s man and his wife were wandering around the store and he was trying on various suit jackets on and it was obvious, even to a blind man, this guy didn't have the first clue as to what he was doing. He was about a size 40R and he was trying on various jackets that weren't even remotely close to fitting him. I walked up to him as he was trying on a 42T. I said to him that that size would be too long for him. He said he had monkey arms and he needed the longer arm length. I told him jacket sleeves could be lengthened and that jacket torso length was more important than jacket sleeve length. He gave me the Look Of Death and said very curtly, "Thank you." I was momentarily taken back by this and quietly suggested he try on a 40R. His wife didn't even look at me the entire time and she, with her back turned to me the entire time, took a 40R off the hanger and gave it to her husband to try on. He flexed his arms and said, "Too tight." I told him, very reassuringly, that that is the correct size for him, even indicating with my own arms flexed, how the shoulders should fit and look. I then showed him how much extra fabric he had around the girth and that we would have to taper the jacket. I would guess his waist size to be approximately 33" or 34". The 40R jacket's girth was HUGE on him. Again, he gave me the Look Of Death and said again, very curtly, "Thank you." I looked him straight in the eye for half a nanosecond, turned on my heels and walked away from the ******. No ******* sale is worth this sort of ******* bullshit rude ignorance from this stupid redneck hillbilly asshole.

( . . . more to come as I try to remember more incidents . . . . )

mondayc

Reaction score
3.) A couple in their 50s came into the store one day and the husband’s arms were loaded with two mountains of clothing: sportcoats, dress pants, shirts, ties, suits (they’ve all been worn and were quite old). He told me that his son just recently switched jobs (no longer working a desk job and was now working in construction) and didn’t need all his business clothes anymore and he asked me to give him a refund on behalf of his son. I looked at the mountain of worn clothing and told him how on earth could I possibly give him a refund for used clothing? He said he didn’t understood what I meant. I told him to leave. He left and I never saw the ****** again.
Last month I had a guy come in wanting to return a pair of pants. "didn't hold up like I wanted them to. The zipper wore out. I only wore them three times." He hands me the receipt and the original tags.. July 8th, 19fucking87. Yes, this man was trying to return pants that were 23 years old. And now that the pants were in my hands, I could tell that they were worn way more than 3 times. Frayed along the hems, faded, everything. I told him our return policy was 60 days and he thought I was joking, letting out a faint laugh. When I told him I wasn't joking and we weren't going to give him $10 for his old, raggedy pair of pants from a brand that we don't even carry anymore, he got really pissed. Said he would have his son come to the store and whoop ****** if he had to
laugh.gif
. The manager comes and basically tells him that he's a marsupial for even trying to return the pants and he leaves, muttering and stumbling in anger. He came back the next 11 days trying the same thing, but luckily I never had to deal with him again. And of course, there are the people that need a lot of help to buy stuff, yet get extremely irritated if another customer has to be rung up (there is usually only one person running each department where I work (Corporate management
facepalm.gif
) and you leave them alone to look for 45 seconds. There are also people that come in at 8:57PM asking to be fitted for a suit when we close at 9. "The wedding is tomorrow morning- how are we going to get a suit?" Probably my worst customer: I also had a family come in buying a suit for a 15-year-old. He was about 5'7" and a little bit chubby for his height. I measured and he needed a 40" jacket, then see how it fits to decide S or R. He tries the 40R on. Grandma interjects, "Looks like a damn queer from TV." Obviously a well-fitting suit makes you like it in the butt. 42R was next. It was baggy, didn't sit right in the shoulders, and looked bad. Grandma was almost happy, but she thought a 44L would look better. Now it truly looked like the poor kid was being put into his dad's clothing. The sleeves hit his knuckles. This whole time, the grandma was saying I didn't know how to do my job, my pants were "highwaters," etc. Now, onto get pants that fit. He knew his waist size, but I recommended the 30" inseam (shortest we carry) for obvious reasons. Grandma's wisdom pops in again, "let's get a 34", just in case he gets really tall one day. That's awfully optimistic, since the dad was right there and just under 6 foot. I suggested the 32", since it still had about an inch or two for a tailor to let out. She flips out that I have the audacity to mention spending money at a tailor. So, a 34x34 I give him. He comes out and it's hard for me not to laugh. "Now that's a snazzy look," grandma adds. While I'm ringing it up, my manager Jane comes by the register. "You really should look into getting rid of this guy. He didn't know anything about suit sizes." Jane looked at the size tags and knew I was right. At least I knew that she was going to die 50 years earlier than me.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
6.) A high school student came in with his mom to buy a suit for his graduation. I measured him to be 38T (very rare size—not a lot in stock, if at all) and I showed him the few we had. He chose one he liked and when he put on the jacket, he said he wanted something bigger. I gave him a 40T and he declared that was too small and that he wanted something even bigger.

WTF?!?!?!

Even the 38T would need to be taken in a little on the sides. The kid said he wanted something even bigger than the 40T.

I asked him incredulously, “How much bigger?”

He said, “Very big.”

I told him that his waist size is 31 and that the pant size that came with the 40T was 34” and that would be far too big for him and, therefore, he CANNOT possibly go any bigger than 38T.

His mom said, “That’s okay. He’ll just wear a rope around his waist."

I said, “Excuse me?”

The mother said, “Yes, he’ll just tie a rope around his waist.”

The kid lifted up his t-shirt and I saw an actual ROPE tied around the waist of his size 38” waist jeans which he was wearing so low I could see all of his underwear.

“See? He likes wearing his pants like that. Can you give him the bigger size he wants, please?”

I said, “Madam, I will not do that. I would be doing you and your son a serious disservice if I let you buy this suit in such a monstrously ginormous size. If that’s the size you really want, then I cannot help you; in fact, I do not want to be responsible for swindling you and for making your son look like a complete mess at his graduation. You really should go elsewhere for a suit.”

Mom responded, “Well, I don’t see why it’s so difficult for him to buy a bigger size. All kids these days like roomy clothes.”

“Madam, that is not the point. There is nothing more I can do for you. I would be happy to sell you this 38T but there is no way I am letting you buy this 46T for your son for his grad.” I walked back a few steps to give them room to decide what to do next. They said thank you to me for my time and left.

7.) A dad and his young boy walked into the store one day. Dad said he was looking for a black suit in a size 44R. I asked him if he was buying this for someone as a gift since he himself would be about a size 46R or 48R.

“Oh, no, no. It’s for my son here.” He pointed to his kid who was about 9 years old and maybe about 5’ 2”.

I said, “Excuse me? The size 44R is for your son?!”

Dad said his kid plays the violin in a junior orchestra and that all the kids were required to wear a black suit for performances. I told the dad that I myself wear a size 44 and that there was no way his son could possibly fit the same suit size that I wear. The dad said, “Well, can you give him one to try on?”

I said, “Sir, IT WILL NOT FIT HIM!”

“Can you give him one to try at least?”

Stupid idiot.

I gave the kid a 44R black suit jacket for him to put on and dad said to the kid, “Okay, son, now go into the playing position.” The kid then went into the violin playing position and when he raised his arms up to simulate the gestures and movements involved in playing a violin, he declared to his dad, “DAD, IT’S TOO TIGHT! I CAN’T MOVE MY ARMS!!”

I couldn’t believe what the **** was happening.

I said to the dad, “Sir, I’ll tell you one more time: The size 44R suit will NOT fit your son. I, sir, have a 38” waist. My chest is 44 inches. I weigh over 200 pounds. I wear, therefore, a size 44R suit which comes with a size 38” waist on the pants. Your son, on the other hand, is 9 years old, is CONSIDERABLY shorter and CONSIDERABLY lighter in weight than I am—by at least 110 pounds, I’d say—and your son’s waist size is [I then wrapped my tape around the kid’s waist for the dad to see] a mere 28 inches. How on earth can your son wear the SAME suit size that I wear? Can you explain that to me? Are you saying your son is the SAME IDENTICAL physical size, SAME IDENTICAL physical stature, and SAME IDENTICAL weight as I? If he is, then that is the only way your son can wear a size 44R suit. So, sir, are you saying your son and I are identical clones of each other?”

At this point, the dad was red in the face. Not with anger, though. I could tell his face was red with embarrassment. He hung his head low and mumbled to me in a half-whisper, “ . . . well, maybe I should ask the other parents where they buy their kids’ suits . . . “ He then turned on his heels and left. Thank God he also took his stupid kid with him.

Stupid morons.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale

lurker[1].gif

"Sir, I will have to ask you to leave the store and finish your POPCORN outside. We do not allow food or drinks inside the store. Thank you."

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mondayc

Last month I had a guy come in wanting to return a pair of pants.
"didn't hold up like I wanted them to. The zipper wore out. I only wore them three times."
He hands me the receipt and the original tags.. July 8th, 19fucking87. Yes, this man was trying to return pants that were 23 years old. And now that the pants were in my hands, I could tell that they were worn way more than 3 times. Frayed along the hems, faded, everything. I told him our return policy was 60 days and he thought I was joking, letting out a faint laugh. When I told him I wasn't joking and we weren't going to give him $10 for his old, raggedy pair of pants from a brand that we don't even carry anymore, he got really pissed. Said he would have his son come to the store and whoop ****** if he had to
laugh.gif
. The manager comes and basically tells him that he's a marsupial for even trying to return the pants and he leaves, muttering and stumbling in anger. He came back the next 11 days trying the same thing, but luckily I never had to deal with him again.

I've lost count of the number of times this same stupid crap has happened to me.

Originally Posted by mondayc

Probably my worst customer:

I also had a family come in buying a suit for a 15-year-old. He was about 5'7" and a little bit chubby for his height. I measured and he needed a 40" jacket, then see how it fits to decide S or R. He tries the 40R on. Grandma interjects, "Looks like a damn queer from TV." Obviously a well-fitting suit makes you like it in the butt. 42R was next. It was baggy, didn't sit right in the shoulders, and looked bad. Grandma was almost happy, but she thought a 44L would look better. Now it truly looked like the poor kid was being put into his dad's clothing. The sleeves hit his knuckles. This whole time, the grandma was saying I didn't know how to do my job, my pants were "highwaters," etc. Now, onto get pants that fit. He knew his waist size, but I recommended the 30" inseam (shortest we carry) for obvious reasons. Grandma's wisdom pops in again, "let's get a 34", just in case he gets really tall one day. That's awfully optimistic, since the dad was right there and just under 6 foot. I suggested the 32", since it still had about an inch or two for a tailor to let out. She flips out that I have the audacity to mention spending money at a tailor. So, a 34x34 I give him. He comes out and it's hard for me not to laugh. "Now that's a snazzy look," grandma adds.
While I'm ringing it up, my manager Jane comes by the register.
"You really should look into getting rid of this guy. He didn't know anything about suit sizes."
Jane looked at the size tags and knew I was right. At least I knew that she was going to die 50 years earlier than me.

That's probably how the grandma dressed her own kid during the Great Depression--in his dad's or grandpa's hand-me-downs.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
8.) A woman came with a cotton stroller jacket. She walked up to me at the cash desk and told me that her husband bought the jacket from our store not too long ago and that the zipper was already falling apart and that her husband has only worn the jacket less than five times. I looked at the zipper and sure enough, it was coming apart from the rest of the jacket. It seemed to me the only thing that could have caused that is that the jacket was too small for the wearer. The jacket looked, needless to say, like it'd been worn way more than five times.

"Well," the woman said, "The jacket is also coming apart at the seams here and here and here . . . . "

I told her we can re-sew all the loose seams and that we can put in a new zipper but that the new zipper would cost about $25 for labour.

"WHAT?! You're telling me you're going to charge me $25 to fix something that wasn't well-made to begin with?! Well, next time we're not buying any more crap from your store!"

Since I was holding the jacket, I then saw the label. It was not ours. It was a house brand from a competitor--and that store was literally two stores down the way from us.

I showed her the label and told her it was not our brand and that the store that sold this brand--THEIR PRIVATE HOUSE BRAND--was two stores down from us and that she should take it there and complain to their manager about the crappy quality of their merchandise.

She took the jacket from my hands, stuffed it back inside her bag and left.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Who was it that posted the story of the guy trying on pants and *********** in them and left them in the fitting room? It was like 3 months ago, cant find it now, but I would say that wins.

I wanna say, RSS.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worked in retail but have no stories to top these.

I did have a job selling rollerblades one summer. A lady came in wanting to buy a pair for her niece overseas. I told her without the niece being there, it would be hard to just sell her a pair and be sure that they'd be comfortable. So the lady took out some cutout tracings of her niece's feet...

That was a weird job. It was at Paragon Sporting Goods in Union Square, for all the New Yorkers. Paragon would give workers 39 hours a week, but not 40, so they wouldn't be "full time" and so Paragon wouldn't have to cover their health insurance.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
8.) A woman came with a cotton stroller jacket. She walked up to me at the cash desk and told me that her husband bought the jacket from our store not too long ago and that the zipper was already falling apart and that her husband has only worn the jacket less than five times. I looked at the zipper and sure enough, it was coming apart from the rest of the jacket. It seemed to me the only thing that could have caused that is that the jacket was too small for the wearer. The jacket looked, needless to say, like it'd been worn way more than five times.

"Well," the woman said, "The jacket is also coming apart at the seams here and here and here . . . . "

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tons of stories from working at Blockbuster as a teenager...my favorites were the customers who returned their tapes (before DVD) with pornos. My manager was a prick and refused to check the tpes in and he'd have the girl call in the morning leaving the exact title of the tape returned on the families answering machine. Needless to say, we never saw most of those people again, and their accounts went into collections, and the douche manager wound up getting demoted.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

FTFY

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads