• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who needs HDTV Set and why?

turboman808

Reaction score
For the record I doubt anyone can really tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. My set upconverts to 1080p anyways.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
For the record I doubt anyone can really tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. My set upconverts to 1080p anyways.

I would agree, probably reaching the limits of the eye to discern.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
So in that light why the hell we are buying 1080p Blue Ray players? If inverse telecine is working then we only need 1080i .

You'll have to ask the BD committee about that. But we get BD players because they are the highest quality HD source that's available to consumers. Also, not all TV sets or BD players do inverse telecine correctly.

Do they shoot TV programs nowadays with 1080i/1080p cameras?
It depends. Many HD video cameras are still 1080i, but things are changing. 1080p 30fps isn't uncommon anymore.

Are movies still shot on film have almost unlimited resolution? (The film-grain being much smaller than any pixel currently.)
Film doesn't have unlimited resolution, but yes many movies are still shot in film, though that's also changing. For example, Sony built George Lucas a bunch of custom 24 fps progressive digital video cameras for Episode II. Episode I was shot on film, and then digitally scanned for the special effects people to work on them. The scanning process took so much time and effort that he decided to shoot digitally to avoid the scanning.

--Andre

turboman808

Reaction score
Most of your reality shows that are shot outside and in dangerous and dirty areas are shot using sony cameras at 1440i. Dirty Jobs, Ice Road Truckers, West Coast Choppers etc...

Any reality show shot in say a house like Big Brothers that has a control room would use Canon 1080p cameras with smpte lock. Same with live shows like the Tonight Show. Basiacally anything that would have a control room.

Top Gear uses a bit of everything. They use high end cameras in the studio and on the set. But they also use lower end sony cameras in areas where they can get damaged or destroyed. I've even seen them use the lowest of quality consumer cameras in a few cases.

Most of this stuff would ultimately be up converted to 1080p. It just makes it easier for editing.

All of our stuff is shot at 1440i and up converted to 1080p for final editing. For VOD clients I am asked for many sizes and resolutions. Itunes, Ipod, TV(Comcast doesn't ask for the same resolution as Cabelvision), Online, they all want different formats in the end.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see the difference between regular tv and HD, though its hardly a deal breaker for me.

I cannnot tell the difference between DVD and blu-ray. DVD vs VHS, light years. DVD vs BR - microscopic.

I think technology is about maxed out for what your eyes/ears can sense on a 2D plane. I mean, how much more revolutionary can it get? Am I wrong for thinking that we have maxed out on quality?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the sound of blu-ray is what finally converted me. i can't really tell a huge difference in the picture vs. DVD. THE SOUND, BABY.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still, a fart sounds like a fart on DVD or Blu-Ray. I cant imagine it being that much more of a mind blowing experience. Seems like a high price to pay for such a miniscule reward, unlike the analog tv/vhs vs HD/DVD jump.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
still, a fart sounds like a fart on DVD or Blu-Ray. I cant imagine it being that much more of a mind blowing experience. Seems like a high price to pay for such a miniscule reward, unlike the analog tv/vhs vs HD/DVD jump.

Depends on your sound system.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
The answer to your question is planet earth in blu ray.
I will agree with this, though I don't have a BR player. I bought an HDDVD on the cheap an have been loading up on $5-10 HDDVD's.

Planet Earth is incredibly beautiful though, regardless.

smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The title asks, who needs an HDTV. The answer is: no one needs one. Hell, you don't even need a TV.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I cannnot tell the difference between DVD and blu-ray.
The easiest test I know is to try to identify individual faces in a crowd. It's much easier with BD than DVD. --Andre

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The easiest test I know is to try to identify individual faces in a crowd. It's much easier with BD than DVD.

--Andre

What is the best device for watching Internet on your TV-set?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Much of my library is still in VHS format. Going to a HD television would be a step in the wrong direction as far as picture quality goes. I have no reason to get a television with a higher resolution to make all my old media look even worse.

IMO this is just a racket. Seems like people JUST replaced all their VHS with DVD, and now you have to start replacing your DVDs with Blueray at around 40 bucks a pop.

I don't think so.

My next media player isn't going to be Blueray, it's going to be a streamer like a WDTV or Popcorn Hour.

Wow, just wow.
tinfoil.gif
I can understand people with big DVD libraries not wanting to replace all of them, but even my 60yr. old cheapskate father has thrown out his VHS. Just download the damned divx of the movies you've got on tape and from this point on only buy BR. Just from a convenience aspect it's worth getting rid of vhs. I have 500 movies on my hard drive. I can bring them up instantly, they don't need to be rewound, and they don't add to the clutter in my life. I stream them over a wired network.

BR is a huge step up in video quality from DVD. Maybe you don't care about it, but I think it's awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads