• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then it belongs in WAYWRN, yes?

Clag's or Tira's? Clag's was a solid effort that I didn't like. I never read Tira's as being a serious post in this thread. I thought it was meant as an example in a discussion on whether or not yellow ties were ever acceptable full stop. I think when he first put up that photo, it was only in WAYWRN. It's very different from the intent of this thread, but it's so different that trying to discuss it here breaks down as thoroughly as it would to try and talk about
foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif
foo.gif
-rated conservative business dress in the Peacock thread.

EDIT: Claghorn, I think that's an interesting idea.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then it belongs in WAYWRN, yes?

I've always assumed that good taste, as far as this thread was concerned, could be something that could be rigged up on a dummy torso and look good/tasteful/whateva

Yeah, that's definitely fair. Admittedly, I would not normally say that Tira's fit should go in this thread. But like YRR said, it started as a broader discussion about whether or not yellow ties could be done well.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You know, I was thinking about your last one recently. It's obviously a classic look and I thought it was well executed, however I do have a caveat for it. I don't think a person should attempt it without a PS. I know you don't like wearing them, and I get that. However it just looks too flat and plain without at least a white linen square. Maybe it's the big dark mass of the suit that needs broken up. I dunno. Personally, if no PS I'd have preferred a patterned tie. 

i hate to say it, but i call bullshit. i think PSs are great and all, but i would never say an omission of a PS would negate something being in good taste. i think thats just dumb groupthink. it was a winning combo, proper colors and textures. adding another solid color, a white PS, wouldnt make it any less austere or "flat" sue me. no hate of course.
--

clags, i like the combo, but i i dont love stripes that close. i had a suit like that and i sold it because i found i was never wearing it, and that i was never pleased with what i could pair it with.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be fair, I think an inch apart is pretty far for pinstripes. Definitely would agree that they would have to be at least a half inch, preferably more. Even then... Still not the world's biggest fan. I have one pinstripe suit that I rarely wear that I am thinking of trying to wear more, but it's hard to do anything very subtle with it.

Chalkstripes definitely--but that's another can of worms which has been discussed before and which I think can definitely be tasteful when done well.

It's entirely possible that I misremember the spacing, since I got the colors slightly off--Manton actually said white, off-white, or grey. But I think my memory of the spacing is right because I was surprised Perhaps it was a minimum of three-quarters of an inch. In any case, narrowly spaced pinstripes were discouraged.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You know, I was thinking about your last one recently. It's obviously a classic look and I thought it was well executed, however I do have a caveat for it. I don't think a person should attempt it without a PS. I know you don't like wearing them, and I get that. However it just looks too flat and plain without at least a white linen square. Maybe it's the big dark mass of the suit that needs broken up. I dunno. Personally, if no PS I'd have preferred a patterned tie. 

I think what you're saying is that you don't like UCBD.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't say it wasn't in good taste, I said I didn't like it. Wasn't quite a winner to me and I said why. Personal opinion which I happen to think is right. No hate.

very well. your loss, cuz it looked amazing. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:D

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks when you put up a nice combo and someone doesn't like it for no true rational or sensible reason.

:devil:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads