• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think he generally doesn't care for them and he thinks they're easy to get wrong. But if you weren't saying what I thought you were saying, then allow me to broaden my post to address the larger group who comment frequently that a fit "needs" a hank.

That's fine, and I agree with you on that point. But I think you should also remember that I never said anything NEEDS a hank. I only said I would have preferred it. The response to my statement prompted some strong replies, but I never said it was anything other than my own preference. Not only that, but I also said what I thought would make it better if he chose not to wear a square. There is nothing wrong, or disingenuous with what I said.

You know that I accepted your point, right? :)

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know that I accepted your point, right?
smile.gif

Well I do now. lol

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh hi guys, what's up?

1. SB is correct. I just dont like hanks for me. They are great for others. Any other "rationales" i have given were merely side-points.

2. CM - Your fit looks nice, as a matter fact it almost looks as nice as mine. However, I cannot for any reason think why that fit would be more "justifiable" without a PS than mine, or any other.

3. YRR - Thanks!!

4. CM - Basically, we dont agree. I categorically disagree with the other suggestions you made. Ed has already explained in WAYWRN why it is that my fit works and is correct, and I don't think I could do a better job of it than he did.

That being said, if you simply wanted to be a voice of dissent, congratulations you accomplished your goal. YAY FOR DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS!!!!

This has been fun. No hate or offense intended. Enjoyable banter and opinions.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh hi guys, what's up?

1. SB is correct. I just dont like hanks for me. They are great for others. Any other "rationales" i have given were merely side-points.

2. CM - Your fit looks nice, as a matter fact it almost looks as nice as mine. However, I cannot for any reason think why that fit would be more "justifiable" without a PS than mine, or any other.

3. YRR - Thanks!!

4. CM - Basically, we dont agree. I categorically disagree with the other suggestions you made. Ed has already explained in WAYWRN why it is that my fit works and is correct, and I don't think I could do a better job of it than he did.

That being said, if you simply wanted to be a voice of dissent, congratulations you accomplished your goal. YAY FOR DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS!!!!

This has been fun. No hate or offense intended. Enjoyable banter and opinions.

Well I didn't JUST want to be the voice of dissent. It's really what I think lol. But yes, I get what you are saying. And despite any who think otherwise, I think the late discussion was interesting and stimulating. This thread has decidedly not tanked. This is, in fact, what makes it interesting.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:cheers:

tactical1

Reaction score
Those of us who mostly lurk here, if I may be so bold to speak for all of us, and who draw inspiration for our own modest efforts to walk about in the real world looking better than we otherwise would, would prefer the thread to look like this:

Awesome Picture
Awesome Picture with combination I'd never have conceived
Congratulations on Awesome Pictures
Pretty good picture
Brief critique with constructive criticism
Awesome Picture
Repeat

And not like this:

What's your favorite color?
Blue.
Wrong. Your favorite color is red. Everyone's favorite color should be red.
Everyone knows blue is better, and red is for people who try to hard to be cool like people who like blue.
Purple is best.
We all agree green sucks, don't we?
I like green.
And so on.

Carry on. Those of you who are qualified to do so, please resume posting awesome pictures. That is all.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aha, i see. telling people what color to like is bad, but telling people how to post is good. got it. ;)

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those of us who mostly lurk here, if I may be so bold to speak for all of us, and who draw inspiration for our own modest efforts to walk about in the real world looking better than we otherwise would, would prefer the thread to look like this:

Awesome Picture
Awesome Picture with combination I'd never have conceived
Congratulations on Awesome Pictures
Pretty good picture
Brief critique with constructive criticism
Awesome Picture
Repeat

And not like this:

What's your favorite color?
Blue.
Wrong. Your favorite color is red. Everyone's favorite color should be red.
Everyone knows blue is better, and red is for people who try to hard to be cool like people who like blue.
Purple is best.
We all agree green sucks, don't we?
I like green.
And so on.

Carry on. Those of you who are qualified to do so, please resume posting awesome pictures. That is all.

I thought the honest critiquing and absence of "circle Jerking" was what people championed this thread for

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, this is the meta-Good Taste thread. It's where we talk a lot about posting in a Good Taste thread. You needed to have taken the second door on the left to get to the one without circle jerking. Avoid the one on the right though; that's edmorel's fetish room.

Last edited:

tactical1

Reaction score
I thought the honest critiquing and absence of "circle Jerking" was what people championed this thread for
The honest and constructive critiques are excellent, and I applaud them. I am suggesting restraint when the commentary runs on and on about what, in the end, reduces to a matter of personal preference.

tactical1

Reaction score
aha, i see. telling people what color to like is bad, but telling people how to post is good. got it.
wink.gif
Stitches, I'm on your side here. Review the nonsense about lapels with Victor Elfo as an example of what I'm wishing we could avoid here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, my dude, I was just bustin your balls. I figured you could handle it.

:)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. GTFO.

I keed I keed. You know I loves it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads