• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which tie for Navy chalkstripe DB

pmowen

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just purchased a navy flannel, chalkstripe, Golden Fleece from BB for a song. It's DB with Peak Lapels. I'm very happy with the fit/look of the suit but I'm not sure what kind of tie to wear with it. Any suggestions? I don't have pictures yet since it's at the tailor and there's nothing on the BB website.

pmowen

Reaction score
I guess I should mention that I'd probably be wearing the suit for fun occasions rather than work. Out to dinner, weddings, maybe concerts (I'm a musician) etc.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out mtspiffy's "As promised, pictures of my outfits" thread.
devil.gif

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
psycho-bunny-print-tie.jpg
tie_06b_400.jpg
My favorite tie to wear with my stripes navy DB is similar to the second, but with green stripes in place of the blue ones. A chalk stripe DB might be much for dinner or a wedding, though..... Bank heists are the best occasions for such a suit. See avatar.

pmowen

Reaction score
So a purple/pink/yellow/silver striped satin tie, tied in a softball sized knot? I'll have to call BB and see if they can lengthen the jacket.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pmowen
So a purple/pink/yellow/silver striped satin tie, tied in a softball sized knot? I'll have to call BB and see if they can lengthen the jacket.

False. Two purple/pink/yellow/silver satin ties tied together.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
False. Two purple/pink/yellow/silver satin ties tied together.

Seriously though, I do like kuwisdelu's second suggestion above.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a suit like that - DB in a navy flannel with a chalkstripe - from Caruso. It is one of my favourite suits.

I like to wear it with a mini-check shirt in either light blue, or purple, and a plain grey wool tie.
Another suggestion would be a tie in a complementary colour with relatively small dots (navy tie with red pin-dots, for example).
As a personal preference, I would tend to steer away from a striped tie, because of the larger scale of the vertical stripes on the suit. That's just me, however, and I'm sure that lots of people do wear striped ties with chalkstripe suits.

pmowen

Reaction score
Thanks Kuwisdelu. I like your second suggestion. The stripes are pretty faint but I also think its a bit much for a wedding/dinner. The thing is, I don't know when else to wear it. At work it would be way to much.

pmowen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I've got a suit like that - DB in a navy flannel with a chalkstripe - from Caruso. It is one of my favourite suits.

I like to wear it with a mini-check shirt in either light blue, or purple, and a plain grey wool tie.
Another suggestion would be a tie in a complementary colour with relatively small dots (navy tie with red pin-dots, for example).

I can imagine these combo's looking really good.

Something like this?

http://www.harvieandhudson.com/product.phtml?id=25

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads