• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to shop for value?

ev01ut10ndt

Reaction score
Since you have time and don't absolutely need anything in particular, make a mental checklist of what you plan to get in the future. This way, you can buy things as they come on sale without scouring all over the place looking for that one item. Ex: Kohls has $10 off $20 in their newspapers often. If you happen to get one, get a pair of cheap STF 501 for around 20 bucks when combined with their many many many 20% off coupons.

When i have some spare time...hanging out with friends at the mall...shopping for Christmas gifts...I browse the sale racks at H&M, J Crew, BR, Gap, etc. Even check out Nordstrom Rack. You really never know what you find + having a mindset of what brands fit you well and how their quality is really helps. For this reason, I mainly browse SF to get ideas about the many different brands out there.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce126
there's two trains of thought here:

1) buy items that cost less, and buy more of them. (e.g. if you have $200 you can buy more if each item doesn't cost $100). This will get you more of a wardrobe quicker.

2) buy less items that cost more, but buy quality. The idea is that these items, while more expensive, are timeless and will last forever.

In all likelihood a mix of the two is in order. Some seasonal things and some more timeless pieces are probably the best bet. On a budget, H&M, Zara, Club Monaco, Uniqlo, work.

............com has some good stuff, as does giltman.com. Gilt is more on the expensive side between the two.

Starting from scratch I would begin with fundamentals, and only then start adding pieces. How clothing fits is far more important than its brand or materials. In order of importance, in my opinion, it'd be something like jeans, shirts, jacket, shoes, coat, etc.

great advice! this is the first thread I've seen where there's no one crapping on it and actually answering the ******* topic of the thread..except for the first reply of course.

Everyone has pretty much touched up on everything, get a decent pair of jeans like the 514s Levi's, I bought a pair yesterday at levis for 98 bucks Rigid Selvedge and they had the spend 150$ and get 50 off automatically so I got a second pair of 501s which basically came out to be free.

If you find a nice pair of jeans but they dont have your inseam just get a longer one and get it hemmed.

Next get some shirts, like bryce stated, Uniqlo, H&M, Zara, J Crew are good stores for decent shirts and not so pricey.

Get some boots! Cheap but awesome boots are the LL Bean Katahdins they retail 150, there's a thread in this forum with a lot of pics. Nordstrom has some Clark Desert boots right now for 60 bucks! grabbed me a pair of those the other day too!

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, why you say ****** things about our happy fashun Ewok village?
Originally Posted by voyaging
This is the most elitist board I have ever been to. And I've been to some ******* elitist boards.
be nice. the site is free. we don't work for you.

Atleee

Reaction score
You won't be able to buy all the stuff posted in Recent Purchases, but follow the sales thread and buy clothes at january sale etc.
Going the "basics-first" route is boring and you will not stand out as a well dressed man.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester

be nice. the site is free. we don't work for you.

I don't know why people are serving this dude, well to be quite honest they're not doing him any favors
lol8[1].gif

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Because why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voyaging
I am only 18 and am buying some new clothes for winter, where should I shop for decent-quality clothes with good value? I will probably be shopping online, due to lack of nearby stores (I live in Cleveland). I've had lots of recommendations for Topman, Zara, and Uniqlo. Where would you get your clothes if you were on a tight budget and starting from scratch? Obviously casual wear, I am still in high school.

VALU-MART

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
great advice! this is the first thread I've seen where there's no one crapping on it and actually answering the ******* topic of the thread..except for the first reply of course.

!

nice while it lasted...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads