• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where should the gorge of a peak lapel should be ?

Saucy_pepe

Reaction score

I asked my tailor for a double breasted peak lapel navy pinstripe suit . My initial suit trial was destined 20 days from the day of order (It was delayed for 3 more days). I went for the trail, and after trying on the jacket everything seemed ideal but the lapels. This is my first peak lapel suit but from what I have witnessed , lapels are usually broader and the gorge is at your shoulder level.

I asked my tailor if he can change this , but he said everything is as it's supposed to be . I contended with my knowledge of lapels and then he mention it looks this way cause of my build . I stopped arguing and left the store.

After all he's a tailor so his expertise surpasses mine OR maybe this time he's wrong and in denial.

P.S.
My shoulders : 18.5 inch /47 cm
My Chest : 37 inch / 94 cm
Also , can this be fixed in any way ? I might have same fabric laying around, just a little though.

Attachments

• 20191116_210101.jpg
    20191116_210101.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 41

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That suit and fabric don't look good. You should use a different tailor and cloth.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lapel width is something to be discussed before the cloth is cut. don't try to adjust this in any way short of a full remake. Seems your tailor is taking queues from current fashion trends.
To be clear, the gorge is the seam joining the collar to the lapel cloth. Runs from the breakline to the peak. Is this the same area as you are questioning?

Saucy_pepe

Reaction score
Lapel width is something to be discussed before the cloth is cut. don't try to adjust this in any way short of a full remake. Seems your tailor is taking queues from current fashion trends.
To be clear, the gorge is the seam joining the collar to the lapel cloth. Runs from the breakline to the peak. Is this the same area as you are questioning?
We did discuss the lapel dimensions before . He still did it his way. And about the full remake , he won't do it. I'll get the completed suit 5 days from now and I'll ask him for the remake , if he denies , what options do I have ? Reimbursing ?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We did discuss the lapel dimensions before . He still did it his way. And about the full remake , he won't do it. I'll get the completed suit 5 days from now and I'll ask him for the remake , if he denies , what options do I have ? Reimbursing ?
What did you ask for regarding lapels?

Saucy_pepe

Reaction score
What did you ask for regarding lapels?
I mentioned him not to make it super wide like a vintage suit and not super slim cause I avoid trends . I sent him some sample images on his business account and asked him how I want my lapels to be done.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That seems vague to me. Is this the suit at the first fitting or was there a fitting in-between ordering and this picture?
Would consider this suit a learning experience of how to work/communicate with a tailor.
Would also consider another tailor, his work shows carelessness. Did you notice how the dart is sewn on the stripe causing the stripe to disappear on the right side of the jacket front but not on the left front? The entire stripe is showing on the right side.

Saucy_pepe

Reaction score
³
That seems vague to me. Is this the suit at the first fitting or was there a fitting in-between ordering and this picture?
Would consider this suit a learning experience of how to work/communicate with a tailor.
Would also consider another tailor, his work shows carelessness. Did you notice how the dart is sewn on the stripe causing the stripe to disappear on the right side of the jacket front but not on the left front? The entire stripe is showing on the right side.
This was the first fitting , it was just fabric before this . As of me being vague , I really emphasized on lapels and my torso's silhouette and told him so much more than I told you in the reply, (I just summarized ). My suit was delayed and rushed at the same time . It was delayed as the tailor might've had some orders prior to mine and I can say it was rushed cause my first fitting date was rescheduled 3 times and when I called him 4th day in the afternoon, he told me to visit him in the evening telling me my suit isn't ready . All in all , I think it was a waste of money and time but a good lesson of not holding back in matters of intimacy with your tailor.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You didn't have a fitting actually. Tailor went straight to finish. That's why you can't adjust these issues. If a basted fitting was done you could have seen the actual size of the lapels and made changes before finishing the jacket

JJ Katz

Reaction score
The lapel width looks OK to me (I would go maybe a CM wider, but it's fine).

The buttoninG point looks really high and the shirt-tie space miniscule: is that intentional?

*** Re. the level of the notch / length of the gorge****. Current trend is for notches so high they are nearly on top of the shoulder and, in a peak, that means litlte reverse wings that go fltying off the top of the shoulders. It looks ridiculouys. In my opinion, the tip of the peaks should reach your collar bone, not your shoulder top.

Current fashion: super-thin or super-wide lapel with very high notch&peak - don't like it.

Much better. Much more balanced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads