• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Up With Pine Nuts???

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I imagine it would be rather visually appealing.
Yep Never had a pine nut cookie before. Is it similar to an almond cookie?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Yep Never had a pine nut cookie before. Is it similar to an almond cookie?
My grandma used to put them all over the top of spritz cookies. They were tasty, added some nice texture and a little sweet flavor while being lighter than any other type of nuts.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
My grandma used to put them all over the top of spritz cookies. They were tasty, added some nice texture and a little sweet flavor while being lighter than any other type of nuts.
What's a spritz cookie?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I once lived on an Indian reservation for a year when I was wee, and they used to snack on these motherfuckers like sunflower seeds. Soak in a heavy brine, roast in an oven, they are good snacking if you can master the hulling, you realy have to crack them sometimes. Inidian reservations all over the southwest are basically littered with triillions of pinon shells; the schools, the gas stations, the streets and sidewalks, everywhere.

Pine nuts make their way into a lot of stuff here in Korea, they are a nice compliment to Asian foods.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never buy the chinese variety. They are cheaper, but far less flavorful than their cousins from Portugal!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Never buy the chinese variety. They are cheaper, but far less flavorful than their cousins from Portugal!

+1 Beware the ayzhun interloper! Also, don't go crazy w/ quantity - they can go rancid left sitting around too long...

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Afghan ones are longer and pointier than the ones from the American SW. The soak in brine and roast is a good method. Another one is toasting them in rock salt.

There was a bookstore/coffee house across the old route 66 from the University of New Mexico. They sold a pretty good pinon coffee mix.

-

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
People from Genoa?

I think you can use hazelnuts or almonds as well. I really enjoy cooking with these ingredients.

I've had good results using walnuts in my pesto.

The thing I hate about pine nuts is that they spoil so quickly. For those who dislike the taste, there's a good chance you've just had old nuts
laugh.gif

For that reason I only buy them from places that sell them in bulk, so I can taste a couple before buying them, and I only buy enough for that night's meal.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love pine nuts

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I've had good results using walnuts in my pesto.

The thing I hate about pine nuts is that they spoil so quickly. For those who dislike the taste, there's a good chance you've just had old nuts
laugh.gif

For that reason I only buy them from places that sell them in bulk, so I can taste a couple before buying them, and I only buy enough for that night's meal.

If you put them in an airtight mason jar and stick them in the freezer, they last a long time. For most purposes (i.e where the nuts are heated), the difference in taste in negligible.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Toasted pine nuts + chevre salad with a nice vinaigrette is one of my favorites
smile.gif
I also put toasted pine nuts in my risotto !

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
Very good with asparagus.

Yes, pine nuts with ground beef and asparagus is wonderful.

So is fried Kibbi.

Two pine nut heavy Lebanese dishes that I love.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Harvested some basil yesterday (Aero Garden ftw) and toasted pine nuts to grind up in the pesto I made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads