• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the deal with Common Projects?

transient

Reaction score
This thread probably isn't the appropriate place to rant, but oh well.

I can't see myself ever owning any of the common project shoes. I appreciate quality and craftsmanship of a timeless basic as much as the next guy, but at some point you're hitting diminishing returns. The shoes are basic, it's a super high quality version of a plain sneaker. I mean, it's a rich-mans imitation of a chuck taylor, a plebe shoe. I'm sure one feels a certain level of sophistication in wearing an over engineered version of a basic street shoe, but by god, if you you're going for a sneaker based fit then just wear something real that approximates the original sneaker look. For $500 a pop it's just too much and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, thoughts come to mind of a Saudi prince who'll shell out unnecessary fortune to just be one level above the ordinary, even if it is essentially completely ordinary. Again, diminishing returns.

There are sneakers that are definitely worth that price of admission and at least they have a bit of design and creativity behind them along with the quality and craftsmanship. What cracks me up is that people complain that they aren't even comfortable. But I guess some people will shell out the dough just so that they can have what amounts to a generic shoe done to the nth degree.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by transient
This thread probably isn't the appropriate place to rant, but oh well. I can't see myself ever owning any of the common project shoes. I appreciate quality and craftsmanship of a timeless basic as much as the next guy, but at some point you're hitting diminishing returns. The shoes are basic, it's a super high quality version of a plain sneaker. I mean, it's a rich-mans imitation of a chuck taylor, a plebe shoe. I'm sure one feels a certain level of sophistication in wearing an over engineered version of a basic street shoe, but by god, if you you're going for a sneaker based fit then just wear something real that approximates the original sneaker look. For $500 a pop it's just too much and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, thoughts come to mind of a Saudi prince who'll shell out unnecessary fortune to just be one level above the ordinary, even if it is essentially completely ordinary. Again, diminishing returns. There are sneakers that are definitely worth that price of admission and at least they have a bit of design and creativity behind them along with the quality and craftsmanship. What cracks me up is that people complain that they aren't even comfortable. But I guess some people will shell out the dough just so that they can have what amounts to a generic shoe done to the nth degree.
yo CPs are only $300 or so they're not even high-end, technically def w/in reach of the mainstream

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
This thread probably isn't the appropriate place to rant, but oh well.

I can't see myself ever owning any of the common project shoes. I appreciate quality and craftsmanship of a timeless basic as much as the next guy, but at some point you're hitting diminishing returns. The shoes are basic, it's a super high quality version of a plain sneaker. I mean, it's a rich-mans imitation of a chuck taylor, a plebe shoe. I'm sure one feels a certain level of sophistication in wearing an over engineered version of a basic street shoe, but by god, if you you're going for a sneaker based fit then just wear something real that approximates the original sneaker look. For $500 a pop it's just too much and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, thoughts come to mind of a Saudi prince who'll shell out unnecessary fortune to just be one level above the ordinary, even if it is essentially completely ordinary. Again, diminishing returns.

There are sneakers that are definitely worth that price of admission and at least they have a bit of design and creativity behind them along with the quality and craftsmanship. What cracks me up is that people complain that they aren't even comfortable. But I guess some people will shell out the dough just so that they can have what amounts to a generic shoe done to the nth degree.

Where did you handle them?

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$500? Wtf? Also, if you can find me any shoe that looks like white achilles lows I will buy 3.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
$500? Wtf? Also, if you can find me any shoe that looks like white achilles lows I will buy 3.
exactly. i see where OP is coming from w/ the diminishing returns argument, but there simply isn't a $100 or $150 or even $200 shoe that resembles CPs (converse look and wear like trash, for the record) it's more accurate to say that CPs are an entry-level luxury sneaker - a basic design w/ quality materials at a relatively accessible price point

transient

Reaction score
I haven't handled them and I'm not denying their quality at all, I'll take everyone's word. There are models which are $400+ range retail. You can look at some white spring court lows, yes there is a big difference in quality but it's the same idea. There's a time and place for high quality basic designs but this is an overkill imo. I would much rather put that money towards some good boots. Just my opinion guys, just sayin.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
One of my favorite things that people do on this forum (especially idiots like noobizor) is when they judge something based on a picture they saw on the internet.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also the designs aren't really as 'basic' as all that. The shape, at least on the Bball hightops, is fuckin incredible and has some nice subtle detailing. People who aren't into fashion have stopped me on the street to tell me they liked my sneakers. The leather feels supple and good. What else do you want, you know? They're not really my style as much any more but I still really like them.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTEmagicC_springcourt.jpg.jpg

6a00d83455c78869e20120a8dfa296970b-500wi

Okay.

And we all know it's your opinion, yes you don't need to add that caveat. Doesn't change the fact that it's a pretty dumb opinion.

transient

Reaction score
Well, look, it's fine. I can use my imagination and picture it to be a mighty fine shoe. I'm just saying that for me it doesn't make sense to pay that much for a basic sneaker when you could instead get a more substantial shoe instead and buy something cheaper that will convey a similar aesthetic. I would probably consider getting a pair of lows at some point if it wasn't for people on this forum complaining that they're uncomfortable if you walk around all day in them, which defeats the whole idea of an athletic shoe.

norcal_indy

Reaction score
Well, look, it's fine. I can use my imagination and picture it to be a mighty fine shoe. I'm just saying that for me it doesn't make sense to pay that much for a basic sneaker when you could instead get a more substantial shoe instead and buy something cheaper that will convey a similar aesthetic. I would probably consider getting a pair of lows at some point if it wasn't for people on this forum complaining that they're uncomfortable if you walk around all day in them, which defeats the whole idea of an athletic shoe.
I bought my first CPs (Achilles Low in White) off of B/S for $200 and they were barely used. I wasn't sure if I'd like them as I'd never seen them in person, but as soon as I opened the box I understood the hype. They look awesome and I find them as comfortable as any other shoe or boot I own. I've worn them all day on multiple occasions and have no complaints. Since then, I've bought a couple pair at full retail and have no regrets. My lady loves them and I'm not exaggerating when I say that they get a compliment nearly every time I wear them out. It's easy to make them look good and hard to make them look bad. I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind... just keep your mind open to checking them out in real life or take a chance on a pair in the B/S forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads